Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

https://www.twincities.com/2022/03/25/vikings-sign-free-agent-cornerback-chandon-sullivan-to-one-year-deal/

"A source said that the Packers had interest in re-signing Sullivan 25, but that he sought a change of scenery."

It's a one year deal, and per a different Minnesota report the details aren't public, but it's believed to be vet's minimum or maybe slightly more.  So again, as with Turner and MVS, I don't think this was really about salary cap.  If Gute wasn't willing to go beyond vets minimum, that's a scouting/personnel decision.  I'd thought a guy who has played a huge percentage of snaps for the last several years, and I'd thought wasn't bad, that it would be nice to have him back cheap, and the alternatives might end up being worse, perhaps lots worse.  

But I think that decision by Gute is interesting.  

I think Douglas changed everything.

Im sure the Packers intended to re-sign Sullivan to a nice respectable contract but then Douglas performances changed their priorities and pushed Sullivan down the depth chart. Sullivan knew what's up and had to leave to generate another opportunity which he wasn't going to get with Douglas in the way.

He worked hard and played many snaps for 4 years and from his view point was very close to that FA payday every player dreams of and then Douglas comes in and changed everything. Now he has to go out and perform again for one more year to get that FA payday he wants. It's a little bit unlucky for him as he did well enough to be rewarded perhaps a Rasual Douglas sized contract at best. Instead Douglas comes in the middle of the season and ends up getting his roster spot and his money. It wouldn't surprise me if he's slightly bitter about it.

I think moving to the Vikings is a reflection of his state of mind towards us. Its the equivalent of you moving to a rival competitor as a f***k you because you're pissed off that your boss promoted the guy who's been in the company for just 6 months over you. Can't blame him.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Florio is a Viking lover .. he loves to make sh... up.  Idiot.

Yes, if you read that site he seems to only do this kind of crap when he is discussing the Packers.  Of course why should a "journalist" pretend to be unbiased these days?  🙄

44 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, if you read that site he seems to only do this kind of crap when he is discussing the Packers.  Of course why should a "journalist" pretend to be unbiased these days?  🙄

If he can't beat them .. berate them.  That's his motto and he's a dufuss.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Im sure the Packers intended to re-sign Sullivan to a nice respectable contract but then Douglas performances changed their priorities and pushed Sullivan down the depth chart. Sullivan knew what's up and had to leave to generate another opportunity which he wasn't going to get with Douglas in the way.

He worked hard and played many snaps for 4 years and from his view point was very close to that FA payday every player dreams of and then Douglas comes in and changed everything. Now he has to go out and perform again for one more year to get that FA payday he wants. It's a little bit unlucky for him as he did well enough to be rewarded perhaps a Rasual Douglas sized contract at best. Instead Douglas comes in the middle of the season and ends up getting his roster spot and his money. It wouldn't surprise me if he's slightly bitter about it.

I think moving to the Vikings is a reflection of his state of mind towards us. Its the equivalent of you moving to a rival competitor as a f***k you because you're pissed off that your boss promoted the guy who's been in the company for just 6 months over you. Can't blame him.

I don't blame him either.  However, maybe just maybe if you're that guy who got promoted over the guy was just there a short time you maybe should have played/performed better?!  If in 6 months the boss saw this other guy was way better than you, bye bye and good luck. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chili said:

I don't think Sullivan was ever in line to get a Douglas level contract.

Suspect its just Vikings have offered him a better spot on the depth chart. The Douglas signing pushes him to CB4 at best and Packers may be looking to give the guy they drafted last year more snaps or they may be looking at CB again in draft.

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

lol Florio making **** up

Sullivan is the one who said people call him a traitor. He's being quoted. Maybe Florio doesn't run that crap *** article but it's Sullivan lying if it isn't true.

You guys catching feelings off that dude is as bad as Reddit and constantly whining about Schefter like he's trying to destroy our team with some secret agenda.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I don't blame him either.  However, maybe just maybe if you're that guy who got promoted over the guy was just there a short time you maybe should have played/performed better?!  If in 6 months the boss saw this other guy was way better than you, bye bye and good luck. 

Agreed... I'm not sure his official snap count, but I saw him included on a list of players we lost who played over 70% of snaps this season. It's not like he didn't have an opportunity.

That said he would have needed another injury to get that kind of snap count again, I can see why he'd look for a better opportunity

6 hours ago, Chili said:

I'm not sure Sullivan was ever going to get paid by Green Bay.  But let's look at this objectively.  You see Green Bay's CB room and you see Minnesota's CB room.  He's more likely to play with Minnesota's room then he is with Green Bay.  That's what it came down to.

• Like 1

It is easy to say that the Vikings want to be Packers West. They have a history of signing our former players both good and bad.  But this year, I kind of give them a pass.  They just brought in Mike Pettine and Mike Smith.  Both Za'Darrius Smith and Chandon Sullivan had their best seasons under Pettine.  It is not apples-to-apples, because Pettine is not the DC in Minnesota, but he is the assistant head coach, and surely will have some input.  @Chili also raises a good point, in that both were pushed down the depth chart/priority list by other players.  There was actually pressure from both sides, as other players stepped up, and the players that were cheaper and lower on the depth chart demonstrated enough competency to be in the back up role, but for pennies on the dollar.  I don't think that either was bad, but you can't pay everyone.  Both also play a position that is a major need for the Vikings as well.  Their secondary stunk last year.  So did their pass-rush.  They probably bolstered it with both signings.  

As for being a traitor, some fans take things WAY too seriously.  I don't like someone badmouthing my hometown for no reason on the way out.  But as far as I know, Chandon didn't do that.  

Regarding Douglas.....

It's going to be interesting to see if 2021 is the outlier or if the GB system suits him better?

There was a reason he had been floating around on other teams PS.  Did he catch a string of good fortune or find a scheme that plays to his strengths.

I am anticipating a drop in INT and that likely skews how he will be viewed.  2 INT off Baker, 1 off Fields, 1 off Stafford, 1 off Murray.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

There was a reason he had been floating around on other teams PS.

... because many other teams suck at identifying and developing talent ?

The Packers are absolutely blessed with one of the best DB coaches in the league - and Jerry Gray is a big part of Rasul's  growth as a player in GB.  Same with Jaire and Stokes. I hope they draft another CB for Jerry to mentor in the late rounds

qrfx58xennoxlurpzqnz.jpg

13 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The Packers are absolutely blessed with one of the best DB coaches in the league - and Jerry Gray is a big part of Rasul's  growth as a player in GB.  Same with Jaire and Stokes. I hope they draft another CB for Jerry to mentor in the late rounds

qrfx58xennoxlurpzqnz.jpg

All fair points and very possible.....

or

Douglas gambled on some bad throws and cashed in on some INT .

I'm feeling a regression from him.  Contract is fine, so it's a good move to re-sign him.

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I think it's probably less about coaching any kind of technique, and more about asking the players to do things they are good at vs things that they aren't.  If Douglass continues to be used they way GB used him last season, he should continue to be an effective player.