Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I'm pretty sure he's saying that low end interns shouldn't be the one calling you up to get cut. As if that's not what most teams do. Like is Gute supposed to come grab them himself lol and he still has to face them when it comes to it.

But somehow he linked it to them not being close enough to players. So I'm sure he just thought someone a bit higher up that knows the players sends them upstairs I guess IDK.

I still don't really care about it

We get to see little glimpses of it some years in Hard Knocks, it's a mix of both, a lot of teams just have the GM or position coach call to send the player up.

Either way I agree with this, Rodgers point here isn't that some low level guy mistook Clark, it's that their process for cutting a guy in the past wasn't very good closure. Remember Sitton echoing this. Same with UFAs, like if you're not bringing back Bulaga, Lang, Matthews, Cobb, etc in FA, the "right thing" would be to get on the phone or have them come in if they're still living local and give them that closure.

Think Rodgers wanted the Packers to feel more family business and less corporate.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Think Rodgers wanted the Packers to feel more family business and less corporate.

That was/would be one of the biggest knocks under Ted Thompson.  IIRC, there was a quote where he talked about how he would try to separate himself from the players to help make sure his evaluations weren't affected by his personal relationships with the players.

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We get to see little glimpses of it some years in Hard Knocks, it's a mix of both, a lot of teams just have the GM or position coach call to send the player up.

Either way I agree with this, Rodgers point here isn't that some low level guy mistook Clark, it's that their process for cutting a guy in the past wasn't very good closure. Remember Sitton echoing this. Same with UFAs, like if you're not bringing back Bulaga, Lang, Matthews, Cobb, etc in FA, the "right thing" would be to get on the phone or have them come in if they're still living local and give them that closure.

The two seasons of Hard Knocks that I watched, it was an assistant strength coach, and a low level personnel guy retrieving the guy to go up to the GM's office.

I've never heard of a GM grabbing guys. 

This is nothing more than Aaron being Aaron. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So I guess the narrative has shifted from, "That didn't happen" to "It happened, but who cares.  Aaron is a jerk for talking about it."

I never doubted that it happened. AR said it and I wouldnt think he's making it up.
My take has been "so what?" in that - if a singular incidence of mistaken identity - take it for what it is: a singular incidence of mistaken identity. Mistakes happens.

I've no need for the GM or some high level person being the guy to tell a player to bring his playbook in - and the delegation of the task to somebody lower doesnt depict insensitivity IMO.

Again - if a singular incidence - much ado about nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I never doubted that it happened. AR said it and I wouldnt think he's making it up.
My take has been "so what?" in that - if a singular incidence of mistaken identity - take it for what it is: a singular incidence of mistaken identity. Mistakes happens.

I've no need for the GM or some high level person being the guy to tell a player to bring his playbook in - and the delegation of the task to somebody lower doesnt depict insensitivity IMO.

Again - if a singular incidence - much ado about nothing.

I think the overriding point was the disconnect between the front office and the players in the past. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, I agree it's a stupid, non-story either way, but it's not a terribly professional look for an Org to make that mistake, intern or not. It's more funny than anything else...

There's nothing unprofessional at all.

It's just people who want to generate some drama in their lives.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah, last year's drama. We've moved passed that to the new phase where there is no drama, and Rodgers wants the credit for it.

By bringing up past drama, he is creating current drama.

If it was truly in the past, that’s where it would have stayed.

If you think otherwise, I could bring up Kizer again.

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

By bringing up past drama, he is creating current drama.

If it was truly in the past, that’s where it would have stayed.

If you think otherwise, I could bring up Kizer again.

That was a great trade in principle.

Also I don't really agree with the first statement. Don't think this story is enough of an issue to create drama. He chose a minor enough instance that he could use to say "ha everyone look at this story from a few years ago that came to be because our organization didn't value relationships, but you don't have to worry about that anymore because I, Aaron Rodgers, fixed it."

The guy needs his figurative pat on the back now that everything is all hunky dory.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

True and he's talked about that a bunch before