Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Do people still think the Cowherd's, Bayless' type sports talk folks are actually serios about what they say?   Do people not realize they are just stating things that are overtly outlandish and controversial to get ratings?

Both talk crap to get reactions .. wrong 95% of the time.  Cowherd isn't as bad as Bayless who IMO is a complete idiot and #1 on my ignore list.  I change the channel whenever he comes on.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Both talk crap to get reactions .. wrong 95% of the time.  Cowherd isn't as bad as Bayless who IMO is a complete idiot and #1 on my ignore list.  I change the channel whenever he comes on.

They are not trying to right.  They are trying to get ratings and viewers/ listeners.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

They are not trying to right.  They are trying to get ratings and viewers/ listeners.

I would go so far as to say it is not in their best interest to be "right" very often.  Much better to be in a gray area where they can play either side of the debate.

If you engage in sports discourse on the internet, you’re probably too into the sport to like what Cowherd does. I certainly do not. But unfortunately, the vast majority of media consumers actually prefer fluff and “hot takes” in their sports media. I sit in the cafeteria almost every day at my job and I listen to a group of guys talk sports - it’s pretty much identical to listening to (stereotypical) ladies gossip. Unfortunately, most people tune out when you go deeper than that. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion but I think Cowherd has a pretty good sense for teams even if his final opinions are erratic and don't really match up all the time with those opinions. Bayless is a hack of epic proportions. 

12 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Unpopular opinion but I think Cowherd has a pretty good sense for teams even if his final opinions are erratic and don't really match up all the time with those opinions. Bayless is a hack of epic proportions. 

If I want an endless stream of consciousness about the Cowboys....I'll tune into Bayless. The guy's obsessed about them.

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Do people still think the Cowherd's, Bayless' type sports talk folks are actually serios about what they say?   Do people not realize they are just stating things that are overtly outlandish and controversial to get ratings?

Probably not many.  But it is still frustrating to have these guys on TV and internet 24/7.  Add that Nick Wright has the most punchable face in existence to that mix.  

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

If you engage in sports discourse on the internet, you’re probably too into the sport to like what Cowherd does. I certainly do not. But unfortunately, the vast majority of media consumers actually prefer fluff and “hot takes” in their sports media. I sit in the cafeteria almost every day at my job and I listen to a group of guys talk sports - it’s pretty much identical to listening to (stereotypical) ladies gossip. Unfortunately, most people tune out when you go deeper than that. 

I remember in the late odds my idiot uncle was telling about how they need to trade the entire offensive line....

..... This was an offensive line that finished number two in the league in pass blocking and I believe it was the same year that Jenkins and Bakh made all pro. 

It was very much a *roll eyes* "I am not even going to engage with this situation"

• Like 1

I'm really not getting the reasoning behind bringing Nixon back 6M AAV.  It's probably a 2 year deal, but that is 2Y/13M for a below-average slot CB.  Nixon is also a legit KR, but how much is that actually worth?

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I take no comfort in this guy praising us. He guaranteed Love was going to be a bust. Three North teams in the top 10, including Minnesota without a quarterback.

Hey OG....he must've read your comment :)

Nixon interesting.  $4-7-7 caps, with $4 and $2 dead-caps for ensuing years.  

Seems reasonable enough:  $4 cap this year to play and prove himself in Hafley's system.  If he succeeds, you've got a decent player at $7-per-year, reasonable.  If he doesn't look that good, you let him go at modest cap hits.  

Obviously the Packers felt that he's more than just a ST guy, that he'd not bad in the secondary, and that he might prove out as good value.  We'll see.  

• Like 1

I still feel like there is upside to Nixon's game as a defender.  Last year was like his first year of really playing defense.  And he still diagnosed a play and got the big INT against the Chiefs.  

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm really not getting the reasoning behind bringing Nixon back 6M AAV.  It's probably a 2 year deal, but that is 2Y/13M for a below-average slot CB.  Nixon is also a legit KR, but how much is that actually worth?

Definitely the head scratcher of the off-season for me, but all I can do is chalk it up to the idea that the people making the decisions obviously like what they see from him more than I what I see on TV. As I said before, Nixon does have some good qualities I like having around from a leadership/grit standpoint. Hopefully Hafley has a plan to get the most out of him because that contract certainly says to me that Nixon is going to be playing a lot of defense. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Hey OG....he must've read your comment :)

LOL! It's funny but Matt Stafford was a proven NFL quarterback when McVey traded for him. Everybody knew Stafford was an upper echelon QB.

Sam Darnold is not. If he was Shanahan would have had him playing in front of Purdy, the ultimate game manager. 

Edited by Old Guy