Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  In 4 years it's likely only 1-2 of the Packers current stable of young WRs are still on the team between Watson, Doubs, Reed, and Wicks.  All have 2-3 years under contract.

2024 may be early, but I suspect we see a few more young guys drafted in 2025 to eventually take over.

Gutekunst's recent remarks about keeping up the competition in all positions is also key. I'm sure that somewhere along the line, even the WR room will get a new member(s). Plus, they always need extra to fill out a 90 man roster anyway.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  In 4 years it's likely only 1-2 of the Packers current stable of young WRs are still on the team between Watson, Doubs, Reed, and Wicks.  All have 2-3 years under contract.

I'd expect one of Watson/Doubs to get a 2nd deal, Reed to get a 2nd deal, and I'd put Wicks at 50/50 just because the injuries make his future hard to predict.

• Like 3

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I'd expect one of Watson/Doubs to get a 2nd deal, Reed to get a 2nd deal, and I'd put Wicks at 50/50 just because the injuries make his future hard to predict.

The contours of that 2nd contract for Watson are fuzzy at this stage because of his inability to stay on the field. Do you give a reduced 2nd contract a guy....if that contract's "team friendly" because the guy cant stay on the field? Not in my opinion. I think we know who/what Doubs brings at this stage.

I'm a proponent of adding more talent that can / will rotate up when those 2nd contracts come due. Dont want to be giving up the big bucks to a WR? Fine. Make him replaceable through the draft.

50 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I like it. Everything written about him last year coming in was that he’s a coach’s dream, doing everything asked of him. He’s obviously blessed with that physique but that’s a good sign that he’s put on 12 pounds of good weight. Hope he’s still agile at that weight  and develops into a more disruptive player with more functional strength. The whole defense is about to get an infusion of talent but also a complete reset from a coaching and philosophy standpoint. Let’s hope it shows up in a good way right from the beginning. 

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Vegas says the Packers first pick is OL or CB. Other options get good odds. If I were to bet on anything, it would be DL. I think that has a real chance of happening and gets a better return on the bet.

I have to think injuries take Newton and Latu off of Gute's RD1 list, so who does that leave?  Verse, Murphy and both Robinson's?  I see Verse and Murphy as better options than OL/CB.  I don't think the others would be.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to think injuries take Newton and Latu off of Gute's RD1 list, so who does that leave?  Verse, Murphy and both Robinson's?  I see Verse and Murphy as better options than OL/CB.  I don't think the others would be.

I expect Newton is still on Gute's board. His injury is not especially severe - it just needs care to rehab it fully or it might re-occur. Latu, yes, he could very well be off the board. ILB Wilson might be off, too. RB Jonathon Brooks might be a bargain kept on the board anticipating a slide - his injury was serious (an ACL) but he hasn't suffered the series of injuries that Wilson has.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive