Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

20 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Yeah if I had to guess I’d say like 6. But that’s part of why I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m not getting invested in a season only for it to end abruptly in October. I’ll take it as it comes

I'd say just treat every game like the Poulon Weedeater Bowl - "eh, it's football, why not?" 

Looking at the candidates for Kick/Punt return.

Ervin is the first name on the list but his roster spot isn't necessarily secure. Aaron Jones, AJ Dillion and Jamaal Williams will have the first 3 RB spots locked up. What if Dexter Williams suddenly figures it out and make a good case for him to be the 4th RB on the roster. This might make Ervin's roster spot very shaky so who else can we use instead?

For punt return there are not many options, I can see Shepherd and Alexander. Josh Jackson did a handful of punt returns in college but the Packers clearly don't fancy him there.

For kick return we used a number of guys last year, Shepherd, Jamaal Williams, Chandon Sullivan. A new face in the mix is Darell Stewart, Malik Taylor did some kick returns in college. MVS had just one in college way back in 2015 and just one for us. Redmond did just one in 2014.

It's not great. Realistically I expect Ervin to make it as 4th RB on the roster but on the off chance he doesn't then we should see one of Shepherd, Stewart, or Taylor making the roster.

Edited by Chili

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Hypothetically, let’s say the Packers are not prepared for COVID-19 and they bomb the season, picking top 10 in the draft.

Which direction do you go?  What do you do?

Interesting question also because of the lack of college football this year.

Just now, deathstar said:

Interesting question also because of the lack of college football this year.

It’s a terrifying question when you think about it.  All the unknowns of the 2021 draft class seem to benefit those picking late who will take a chance on someone who slides due to unknown medical/sophomore/senior years.

Just so I understood correctly, Is College Football considering a spring football season instead of Autumn/Winter? does this mean the entire 2021 draft class will enter the draft without playing any football? The draft iin April would put it right smack bang in the middle of spring. Of course one way to solve this is to do the draft in the summer instead?

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just so I understood correctly, Is College Football considering a spring football season instead of Autumn/Winter? does this mean the entire 2021 draft class will enter the draft without playing any football? The draft iin April would put it right smack bang in the middle of spring. Of course one way to solve this is to do the draft in the summer instead?

I imagine if college had a season delayed, the draft would be delayed as well.

14 hours ago, Chili said:

Looking at the candidates for Kick/Punt return.

Ervin is the first name on the list but his roster spot isn't necessarily secure. Aaron Jones, AJ Dillion and Jamaal Williams will have the first 3 RB spots locked up. What if Dexter Williams suddenly figures it out and make a good case for him to be the 4th RB on the roster. This might make Ervin's roster spot very shaky so who else can we use instead?

For punt return there are not many options, I can see Shepherd and Alexander. Josh Jackson did a handful of punt returns in college but the Packers clearly don't fancy him there.

For kick return we used a number of guys last year, Shepherd, Jamaal Williams, Chandon Sullivan. A new face in the mix is Darell Stewart, Malik Taylor did some kick returns in college. MVS had just one in college way back in 2015 and just one for us. Redmond did just one in 2014.

It's not great. Realistically I expect Ervin to make it as 4th RB on the roster but on the off chance he doesn't then we should see one of Shepherd, Stewart, or Taylor making the roster.

Ervin will be the return man, and he will be "RB #4" on the depth chart.  He will still probably get his 3 or 4 plays on offense per game.  Dexter Williams will have to really, really show out to make the team over any of the top 4.  Between him, Crockett, and Patrick Taylor, we will have a good RB on the PS that we can call upon in case of emergency.  

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I imagine if college had a season delayed, the draft would be delayed as well.

As of now, CBA states that the draft can be no later than June 2. Of course, a change can be negotiated. Personally, I don't see spring football happening. I think too many prospective draftees would choose to train for the combine rather than play that close to the draft.