Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Friday night I was flipping channels and saw "NFL Football".  Clicked over and got to watch the 1996 Super Bowl!

Man, that was a team!  There were amazing players at every level for GB, but this stood out to me.

Pad Level.  Honestly.  Our boys were firing off the line, low.  Tackling was sharp, violent and with low pads.

Even special teams....Thomasson was making tackles.  Jervey was making tackles.  We were just loaded with plus athletes on those squads.

And I had forgotten that Favre misfired on 3 throws or so, and at least two of them were TD's waiting to happen.  

Oh, and that Reggie White guy was pretty good.

Defensively, we even zone blitzed Gilbert Brown.  He made a stop on a crossing route.  Yep, Gilbert had coverage and made a stop on a crossing route.

I came away feeling like I didn't appreciate Fitz as a DC.  And...Mike was looking svelt back in the day!

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Friday night I was flipping channels and saw "NFL Football".  Clicked over and got to watch the 1996 Super Bowl!

Man, that was a team!  There were amazing players at every level for GB, but this stood out to me.

Pad Level.  Honestly.  Our boys were firing off the line, low.  Tackling was sharp, violent and with low pads.

Even special teams....Thomasson was making tackles.  Jervey was making tackles.  We were just loaded with plus athletes on those squads.

And I had forgotten that Favre misfired on 3 throws or so, and at least two of them were TD's waiting to happen.  

Oh, and that Reggie White guy was pretty good.

Defensively, we even zone blitzed Gilbert Brown.  He made a stop on a crossing route.  Yep, Gilbert had coverage and made a stop on a crossing route.

I came away feeling like I didn't appreciate Fitz as a DC.  And...Mike was looking svelt back in the day!

My dream Green Bay Packer autograph oh it will happen one day. It will happen.

I passed up a chance to meet Reggie White when I was 15.  The town I went to high school in has a huge "Jesus Rally" every year.  Not quite a mega-church, but there are a lot of pretty big churches in the town.  They had Mike Singletary (he talked at the junior high school, and I did meet him), Ted DiBiase, and Reggie White as "headliners" in different years.  Those are the ones that I remember.  I wasn't really ever a big Jesus guy, so I passed on my chance to meet Reggie, even though he was one of my heroes.  I didn't want to disrespect the reason for the meeting, and I didn't want to sit through 2 hours of extra church for a handshake and maybe a photo.  

Dad and I were attending a Bucks pre-season game in Green Bay.  It was a long, long time ago.  I think I was in college at the time.  Probably 96 or 97.

We were walking in to get our tickets from the counter and there had to be 500 people in there.  All of a sudden at the front of the line, getting tickets, two extremely large men stood straight upright and they were giants compared to the rest of us.  It was Reggie White and Keith Jackson.

They made their way through the crowd and were coming right towards me and my father.  I was starstruck.  Reggie was in front of me and I couldn't move.  He grinned at me and politely said "Excuse us, please".  My mind couldn't process any words, but my feet stepped to the side and they walked by.  I think I may have mumbled, "Thank you", but I'm not sure.  And away they went.

Turned out they were there to watch the game and they were about 8 rows ahead of us, courtside.  I remember that Reggie had on a golf shirt and it couldn't cover his back.  Looked like a rag on him.  He was all neck and shoulder muscle.

At halftime, both he and Keith Jackson hit the court and threw a football around, grinning the entire time.

Great memory.

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Dad and I were attending a Bucks pre-season game in Green Bay.  It was a long, long time ago.  I think I was in college at the time.  Probably 96 or 97.

We were walking in to get our tickets from the counter and there had to be 500 people in there.  All of a sudden at the front of the line, getting tickets, two extremely large men stood straight upright and they were giants compared to the rest of us.  It was Reggie White and Keith Jackson.

They made their way through the crowd and were coming right towards me and my father.  I was starstruck.  Reggie was in front of me and I couldn't move.  He grinned at me and politely said "Excuse us, please".  My mind couldn't process any words, but my feet stepped to the side and they walked by.  I think I may have mumbled, "Thank you", but I'm not sure.  And away they went.

Turned out they were there to watch the game and they were about 8 rows ahead of us, courtside.  I remember that Reggie had on a golf shirt and it couldn't cover his back.  Looked like a rag on him.  He was all neck and shoulder muscle.

At halftime, both he and Keith Jackson hit the court and threw a football around, grinning the entire time.

Great memory.

Reggie White was a little bit before my time, or at least what I can remember.  Based on what I've heard, sounds like he was Charles Woodson for the older generation.  Just someone who resonates with fans.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Reggie White was a little bit before my time, or at least what I can remember.  Based on what I've heard, sounds like he was Charles Woodson for the older generation.  Just someone who resonates with fans.

He wasn't (unfortunately) before my time.  White.

I guess I"d have to say this.  White>Woodson.  White was the elite defensive player in the league when he came to GB.  Woodson was a very good player, but had baggage and then he evolved into a force in GB.  Reggie was already the icon, already the force.  And remained one.  I think Woodson became an even better player in GB, especially over time.

But, yes, I agree with your point in that they were similar impact players.

Cool thing about each of them is that they made their teammates better around them.  Favre isn't Favre without White around.  Reggie helped his guys on and off the field.  Not saying Woodson didn't, more just reminiscing about White.

Some things you just remember...for example....I think I was listening to an interview that Joe Gibbs gave before an Eagles game.  Gibbs said he saw Reggie White in pre-game warm ups, running around and going through drills and said...."My God, our running backs don't run that fast!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Reggie coming to Green Bay was like if Aaron Donald would sign with the Bengals next offseason.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I guess I"d have to say this.  White>Woodson.  White was the elite defensive player in the league when he came to GB.  Woodson was a very good player, but had baggage and then he evolved into a force in GB.  Reggie was already the icon, already the force.  And remained one.  I think Woodson became an even better player in GB, especially over time.

I'm old enough to remember Reggie too.  I agree with Vegas.  White > woodson.  In several ways.

1. As Vegas notes, White really was THE elite guy in the league, and I don't think it was really even close.  Woodson was awesome, but Reggie was to NFL defenders what Michael Jordan was to NBA players in the 90's.  And at the time that Woodson signed with us, he was not clearly identified as the Michael Jordan of NFL defenders.
  2. Physically, just on the basis of his size White was also more extraordinary.  As Vegas notes, Greene's physique was just amazing.  Woodson being less tall and massive wasn't quite the obvious jaw-dropping stand-out-in-a-crowd physical unicorn that Reggie was.
  3. As a fan-friendly guy, White was also unmatched.  As Vegas's story reflects, Reggie was just a super nice, sincere guy who liked people and who everybody liked, teammates, media, fans.  His rapport with Packer fans was really special; just such an easy guy to instinctively like and respect and admire, as a man as well as a star athlete.  Woodson was a little more subdued and quiet personality.  

Reggie was also kind of a good scout.  Favre had played the 1992 season with the Packers; team was 9-7, 8-5 with Favre.  Favre wasn't MVP and HOF yet; but Reggie saw and recognized his talent and flair and his potential.  Reggie was smart enough to see that whatever the Packers had been in previous years, that it didn't matter; that their arrow was now up, and that Favre had the stuff to be a Super Bowl QB.  Reggie was right.