Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Andy Herman -    GB's def has to be better on 1st/2nd & long:

There have been 26, 1st/2nd & 12+ yard situations.

14/26 - the offense picked up a 1st
11/14 firsts ended in points (8tds, 3fgs)
12/26 times the very next play resulted in a 1st, a penalty, or they got at least half the yards back.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:21 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Hopefully he gets us a 3rd comp if he leaves

Don't hold your breath.  3rd round compensatory picks are reserved for guys making $15M+.  Unless someone gives Aaron Jones elite RB money, we're not getting a 3rd round pick for him.  My guess is a 4th round pick if he can get that second tier RB money.

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -    GB's def has to be better on 1st/2nd & long:

There have been 26, 1st/2nd & 12+ yard situations.

14/26 - the offense picked up a 1st
11/14 firsts ended in points (8tds, 3fgs)
12/26 times the very next play resulted in a 1st, a penalty, or they got at least half the yards back.

This is more of Pettine's bull****. We get a team in 2nd and long and we sit back and basically give up big yards for free underneath. How many times have we had 2nd and 10 or longer and one play later it's either a first down or 3rd and 2 because we gift the offense 9-10 yards? Passive defense. 

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Oh you're one those stick to sports guys....

Unfollow him then? I'm pretty sure he's asked people to do just that if they have a problem with his free speech.

No. I stated that's why I don't follow him or others who talk politics or other topics really. I also didn't follow Cohen because he constantly was talking about soccer from  his Packers beat writer account.  Maybe I'm grumpy, but I think if it's your job/brand/company to cover a certain area that's what your social media platform is followed for, not other content. That's what a personal account is for. Its like Stephan A Smith suddenly started covering foreign affairs instead of sports on his show. Probably not tuning in for that information from him. Or maybe I would?

Problem with free speech because you don't want to hear someone's personal opinions on certain topics? lol.

Edited by Arthur Penske

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

No. I stated that's why I don't follow him or others who talk politics or other topics really. I also didn't follow Cohen because he constantly was talking about soccer from  his Packers beat writer account.  Maybe I'm grumpy, but I think if it's your job/brand/company to cover a certain area that's what your social media platform is followed for, not other content. That's what a personal account is for. Its like Stephan A Smith suddenly started covering foreign affairs instead of sports on his show. Probably not tuning in for that information from him. Or maybe I would?

Problem with free speech because you don't want to hear someone's personal opinions on certain topics? lol.

You've really been missing out on Stephan A Smith on Crossfire.  Some great hot takes on Brexit and Crimea.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leader said:

GreenBayGazette - The Packers will spend roughly $757,000 to help Green Bay equip its officers with body cameras under a plan approved by the City Council tonight.

Hope they don't get the ones that mysteriously glitch out whenever the officer is about to do something suspect. Even if they're cheaper than the ones that work properly, it's not a good use of money.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

2014 we earned a 3rd round compensatory pick.  I believe it was for Greg Jennings.

Yep, there was a strong chance of getting one for Matty Flynn until that hotshot rookie Wilson told him to stick to locker room ping pong and swiped the starting gig. It would have been so golden if we could have gotten that high of a compensatory for Flynn, but that guy did so much for us as a backup it's hard to ask for more.  Charmed life that he has led.

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Oh you're one those stick to sports guys....

Unfollow him then? I'm pretty sure he's asked people to do just that if they have a problem with his free speech.

Oh, you must be bothered by somebody who doesn't like it when somebody is irritated when a sports reporter doesn't stick to just reporting sports?  Unfriending a sports reporter who decides to go political .. up to you.   That being said, I have absolutely no problem with somebody and free speech;  different strokes for different folks.  However, when sports and politics are mixed, folks certainly are entitled to have a different outlook .         

54 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is more of Pettine's bull****. We get a team in 2nd and long and we sit back and basically give up big yards for free underneath. How many times have we had 2nd and 10 or longer and one play later it's either a first down or 3rd and 2 because we gift the offense 9-10 yards? Passive defense. 

Yeah, this feels largely like the soft zones in action, but they've been more aggressive on early downs the last few games and that hasn't necessarily gone better.  Biggest issue with Pettine right now is opposing offenses can read the call way too often, whether it's passive or aggressive.

Just now, Refugee said:

Yep, there was a strong chance of getting one for Matty Flynn until that hotshot rookie Wilson told him to stick to locker room ping pong and swiped the starting gig. It would have been so golden if we could have gotten that high of a compensatory for Flynn, but that guy did so much for us as a backup it's hard to ask for more.  Charmed life that guy has led.

For Flynn?  No.  There was hope that the Packer could tag 'n trade him, but the market wasn't there and the Packers never tagged him.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

For Flynn?  No.  There was hope that the Packer could tag 'n trade him, but the market wasn't there and the Packers never tagged him.

After destroying records in the final Detroit game, he earned himself a nice contract to start with Seattle.  Their 3rd round pick that year had other plans.  My memory is cloudy but I thought there was 3rd round speculation, but it might have been 4th. Either way, him hitting the bench lowered the compensatory value signifigantly.

I still question how much Jones is actually going to get on the open market.  1st, a lot of good-running teams already have well-paid quality backs.  2nd, every team is facing the shrunken cap, so the amount of discretionary big-contract money lying around is finite.  Even for the handful of teams that have some, they all have other spots in addition to RB that they could target.  3rd, every GM knows the analytics history on 2nd-contract backs.  

Will be interesting how Jones fairs elsewhere.  He's quick, he's got good vision, he's turned himself into a quality pass-blocker, and he's a good pass receiver.  So I'd expect he'll do quite well anywhere he goes. 

Or not?  He's part of an outstanding offense with a great QB behind a much-praised line, and we all know that pass-sets-up-run.  Perhaps he'll go to a team whose run-blocking is no better and perhaps worse, combined with an inferior passing game so that he gets even more defensive attention?  If so, his numbers might be pretty average.  Who knows?  Also true that big runs come in small sample sizes.  His two huge runs really shape his numbers for his year; but if he didn't get any of the long TD runs, the stats could look way worse, too.  

Or maybe he'll do better? The Packers running game is 12th-in-league in ypc.  Without Jones's quickness the run-blocking might look kinda bad.  (As we know it does on short-yardage where some push is needed and is rare.)  So there may be some other lines that are more powerful in the run-block game, behind which Jones will be able to put up more impressive numbers.