Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

All the contract moves are lined up, we'll be under the cap and have some cash to spend, as Gute has said repeatedly we would. Expect him to make his signings early. Last two years he always got his signings done in the first couple of days of free agency,  

Tom Silverstein -  In regard to the WR Devin Funchess reduction, the Packers shaved $765,000 off the cap - from $2.265M to $1.5M -- and it will be slightly more if he misses any games or doesn't make the team. Given some other adjustments that have taken place, GB is about $12M over $180M

2 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

If he simply restructures how much does it raise his base salary of $25mil when he's 39 and 40?  His guarantees?   It might raise the cap charge in those years and make it slightly more prohibitive to the team to cut/trade him but really not enough to give him any more security and doesn't bring his salary and guarantees in-line with the new wave of QB signings.  He'll never have more leverage than right now to accomplish those things and a simple restructure doesn't do it.

It benefits him by converting unguaranteed future-money to an up-front signing bonus. Money now is better than money later, even if it is the same amount of money. That’s more security in the event of injuries or declining play quality.

Not to mention the time value of money. There is inflation going on so one amount of money today is worth more than the same money a year or 2 later. And by getting money 1 year earlier, it can be invested & can earn a fair amount even in just 1 year. 

I knew nothing about Z when he was a Raven.  Only an article that said we tried to trade for him.  What a great find in free agency.  I'd love him to sign an extension.  Him and Gary could be a powerhouse tandem on the EDGE.  Add Kenny inside and we should be solid.  A DC can't ask for much more than that to build around.  Except maybe a shut down corner and two stud safeties.  Oh...wait....

• Like 2

Tom Pelissero  -  2021 Restricted Free Agent Tender Amounts

1st round: $4.766 million

2nd round: $3.384M

Original round: $2.183M

Right of first refusal only: $2.133M

• Aaron Nagler -   I'd expect the 2nd round tender for Tonyan.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Tom Pelissero  -  2021 Restricted Free Agent Tender Amounts

1st round: $4.766 million

2nd round: $3.384M

Original round: $2.183M

Right of first refusal only: $2.133M

• Aaron Nagler -   I'd expect the 2nd round tender for Tonyan.

2nd round sounds about right considering our lack of cap space. The good news is all of the NFC north teams are all also over the cap so they all got some cutting/restructuring to do. It makes it unlikely they would try to nab Tonyan just to f**k us over.

As for the rest of the NFL, i'm not so sure. Teams could be thinking they can get a bargain high performing TE instead of drafting a rookie and bypass the development stage to have a ready made NFL player right away. Just one less position to worry about for teams looking to build their rosters. His 12 TD last year may make teams feel that a 2nd round pick is worth the sacrifice.

We're about 8m over the cap and we need to cut at least another 8m on top of that just to make room for the draft class. 16m to shed - minimum. Don't want to be in Gute's shoes right now.

If we're going to cut someone completely, it will be the least important players on the team first. Looking at our list of players I have zeroed in Lowry, Burks, Jackson as "comfortable" cuts. That will save us about 5.5m if I got the maths right. Still nowhere enough. Preston Smith is the most obvious one which would save us 8m right away should we fail to restructure/extend anybody. Sternberger would be a surprise cut but he is one of the higher earning players on the team due to his draft status, that would save us another 500k.

The news that we restructured Amos is good news, that will take some pressure off us. Still got a lot of work to do.

New contract details for the remainder of Preston Smiths deal assuming no new void years were added and his 2022 contract was untouched:

2021 Cap: $8,750,000
2022 Cap: $19,750,000

• Zach Kruse -   So, between this and the restructuring for Adrian Amos, the Packers cleared $8 million off the cap today.
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:52 PM, TransientTexan said:

It benefits him by converting unguaranteed future-money to an up-front signing bonus. Money now is better than money later, even if it is the same amount of money. That’s more security in the event of injuries or declining play quality.

Not to mention the time value of money. There is inflation going on so one amount of money today is worth more than the same money a year or 2 later. And by getting money 1 year earlier, it can be invested & can earn a fair amount even in just 1 year. 

This.. 

And if he is serious about wanting to finish his career in Green Bay, a restructure of this sort makes it more difficult for Packers to cut him in 22. There is literally zero reasons why Rodgers wouldn't agree to this. More guaranteed money, less likely to be cut, makes Packers more competitive in 21 (and less competitive in future years when he may not even be here). From his perspective its a triple win.

The only thing stopping it is that it pretty much takes Packers moving on from Rodgers in 22 off the table (along with Packers appetite for destroying the cap in future years). If it doesn't happen then its a sign that Packers may be serious about moving on from him then. 

17 hours ago, Chili said:

As for the rest of the NFL, i'm not so sure. Teams could be thinking they can get a bargain high performing TE instead of drafting a rookie and bypass the development stage to have a ready made NFL player right away. Just one less position to worry about for teams looking to build their rosters. His 12 TD last year may make teams feel that a 2nd round pick is worth the sacrifice.

Or they could view Tonyan as a one-hit wonder with a TD spike because of situation.  But because of his RFA status, the Packers have the opportunity to match any offer made on him.  So teams are going to have to overpay for his services on top of coughing up a draft pick to sign him.  That's going to be a hard pill to swallow IMO.

17 hours ago, Chili said:

If we're going to cut someone completely, it will be the least important players on the team first. Looking at our list of players I have zeroed in Lowry, Burks, Jackson as "comfortable" cuts. That will save us about 5.5m if I got the maths right. Still nowhere enough. Preston Smith is the most obvious one which would save us 8m right away should we fail to restructure/extend anybody. Sternberger would be a surprise cut but he is one of the higher earning players on the team due to his draft status, that would save us another 500k.

The savings on those players are marginal at best with the exception of Lowry.  You save $1.3M for cutting Jackson and 945k for cutting Burks, but you have to factor in their replacements for ~600k, and the total savings is around $1M.

On 3/10/2021 at 10:07 AM, vegas492 said:

I knew nothing about Z when he was a Raven.  Only an article that said we tried to trade for him.  What a great find in free agency.  I'd love him to sign an extension.  Him and Gary could be a powerhouse tandem on the EDGE.  Add Kenny inside and we should be solid.  A DC can't ask for much more than that to build around.  Except maybe a shut down corner and two stud (good) safeties.  Oh...wait....

Good safeties. 

Edited by MantyWrestler