Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Apparently the Z move was enough to get us "under" the cap according to this graphic. This tells us Jones' 2021 cap hit must be pretty damn low. 

We already made that assumption.  There was absolutely ZERO reason to frontload the contract.  I'd imagine it's something around minimums salary (~900kish) plus signing bonus ($3.25M) plus a workout bonus (~500kish).  I'd imagine his Y1 cap hit is around $5M, maybe slightly higher.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hoping we still extend Adams and re-structure more than just Rodgers roster bonus or the Jones move makes no sense to me. That's an all-in type move or simply paying a RB. One makes sense to me, the other is just bad FO work.

Or the Packers don't believe they need to make wholesale changes...

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well then see the last sentence, bad FO work. No NFL team is going to win a SB with our CB group and your QB counting 37m against the cap.

See the point here.....but is the AR contract the only source of "cap relief revenue" that could snag us a top CB?

Tom Pelissero -  Packers RB Aaron Jones' four-year, $48 million deal includes $20M over first two years -- a little over the cost of two franchise tags.

A $7 million roster bonus is due on 3rd day of 2023 league year. So, that'll be decision time. He's due $16M in 2023 and $12M in 2024.

• Bill Huber-   In essence, it’s a two-year deal for Jones.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers settle with just this restructure for Z, it tells me they absolutely intend on making a move with Rodgers' contract because otherwise, they are barely even under the cap without consideration to the draft, etc. Extending Adams would clear some additional space, but I thought the Packers would extend Z and clear closer to $13-14m in cap space with a new deal. That didn't happen. The Packers are going to have to restructure Rodgers and probably pretty soon. 

Just a quick thought....how many times have the Packers extended a deal before the last year of the contract?

Adams is entering that last year.

Z was not.

Restructure for Z makes sense, and still makes him a candidate for an extension next year.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Well then see the last sentence, bad FO work. No NFL team is going to win a SB with our CB group and your QB counting 37m against the cap.

We were in the NFC Championship Game as the #1 seed and goal-to-go for the tie with our current roster minus King, Williams and Linsley (and Bakh).     These annual proclamations of us having no chance are always so over the top...

10 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

We were in the NFC Championship Game as the #1 seed and goal-to-go for the tie with our current roster minus King, Williams and Linsley (and Bakh).     These annual proclamations of us having no chance are always so over the top...

Rodgers counted like 24m against the cap last year, that's 13 more this year......and the cap went down like 15 mil. That's a 28 million swing.

Don't get your hopes up unless they rework that.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers counted like 24m against the cap last year, that's 13 more this year......and the cap went down like 15 mil. That's a 28 million swing.

Don't get your hopes up unless they rework that.

I think getting Adams completed would enhance our ability to work with Rodgers.