Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

56 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

If we go down that route, we will be pairing Love with a problematic cap position - its unlikely we would have any real chance of competing year one in that scenario so it would make sense to clean up the cap which is what I mean by a rebuild. If you aren't going to be competing it doesn't make sense to keep hold of bad contracts or even worse keep pushing them down the road into worse contracts.

Maybe, but I'm not sure.  As mentioned, everybody is dealing with the covid-compressed cap, and with back-loadings to work around it.  The 17th game and new TV will boost the cap a lot.  Half the league is capping >$20M for QB's.  So if/when Love gets the job, it will give them a huge new chunk of cap dollars previously allocated to Aaron; and a big chunk of cap dollars for other good players that most teams with salaried QB's won't have.  

So it seems at least theoretically possible that Love *might* be hypothetically paired with an above-average roster, and with an above-average amount of cap-dollars to be spending on the rest of the roster.  *IF* Love was ready to be an above-average QB when that time comes, he might perhaps immediately be positioned to be part of an above-average team.  

Granted, we might have backloaded so much that all of those costs will more than gobble up whatever cap space is freed if/when Aaron's contract is gone.   Plus that whatever QB savings will all get poured into Jaire and Jenkins.  So you may well be right, and there might need to be a year to just swallow all of the deadcap and backloadings.  

Matt Schneidman -   With this year’s free agency money, the Packers have extended arguably the best offensive lineman in football, one of the best nose tackles in football and a Pro Bowl running back. Just because two of their biggest moves happened last year doesn’t mean they didn’t happen.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Reaper said:

You think there is any chance AR has someone in mind he would like the packers to go after? And that if they make that happen he would restructure?

They likely don't need his blessing to restructure his contract.  It's far more likely the Packers don't want to restructure his contract.

9 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Does Adams want to extend though if Rodgers isn't restructured ?

It would indicate the front office is ready to move on with Love in 22 or 23.  The Jones contract indicates a rebuild might be coming in maybe 23. 

Its possible that Packers are a very bad team in 22 and may not recover during his contract. Best thing for him might be to at least play out 21 and see.

What is Adams possible motivation for not taking an extension?  He's likely going to be paid as a top 3 WR this offseason.  He's going to go down as one of the best Packers' receivers alongside guys like Jordy Nelson and Sterling Sharpe.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What is Adams possible motivation for not taking an extension?  He's likely going to be paid as a top 3 WR this offseason.  He's going to go down as one of the best Packers' receivers alongside guys like Jordy Nelson and Sterling Sharpe.

If Packers go with Love in 2022 and rebuild then we may not have a good team next year or for the next few years. Given how much cap we are pushing into future years then there is a strong case for him wanting to see how things are in a year before committing.

Having said that - we still need to free up considerable cap space for 2021 so I'm guessing something for Adams is probably on the way.

Just looking at Spotroc and trying to see where the low hanging fruit is to free up money.

Maybe Dean Lowry is released, or given a new deal to lessen his cap hit some.  But that's a maybe.

Free up $900k by releasing Burks.

Free up $1.3M by releasing Josh Jackson.

Free up $900k by releasing Scott at punter.

Free up $850k by releasing Dexter Williams.  Same for Anthony Rush and a few other guys.

Free up $920k by releasing a CB named Russel.

But for most of those guys, my guess is that the end of the roster guys move up and GB takes a hit to the cap of roughly $660k.

So really, it is down to 'Vante and Rodgers.  I feel Rodgers is unlikely to have anything done, but 'Vante certainly is in play to free up money.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Just looking at Spotroc and trying to see where the low hanging fruit is to free up money.

Maybe Dean Lowry is released, or given a new deal to lessen his cap hit some.  But that's a maybe.

Free up $900k by releasing Burks.

Free up $1.3M by releasing Josh Jackson.

Free up $900k by releasing Scott at punter.

Free up $850k by releasing Dexter Williams.  Same for Anthony Rush and a few other guys.

Free up $920k by releasing a CB named Russel.

But for most of those guys, my guess is that the end of the roster guys move up and GB takes a hit to the cap of roughly $660k.

So really, it is down to 'Vante and Rodgers.  I feel Rodgers is unlikely to have anything done, but 'Vante certainly is in play to free up money.

You work on the top 51 cap right now. If you cut a guy making 850k, the guy at 52 on the top 51 jumps up to counting against the cap and you really only save a 200-300k. Only Josh Jackson on that list really would provide anything.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You work on the top 51 cap right now. If you cut a guy making 850k, the guy at 52 on the top 51 jumps up to counting against the cap and you really only save a 200-300k. Only Josh Jackson on that list really would provide anything.

Yes, that is what I posted.  😎

"But for most of those guys, my guess is that the end of the roster guys move up and GB takes a hit to the cap of roughly $660k."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Free up $900k by releasing Burks.  Free up $1.3M by releasing Josh Jackson...

But for most of those guys, my guess is that the end of the roster guys move up and GB takes a hit to the cap of roughly $660k...

Yeah, it's X-.660 in savings.  Not much for the late guys.  

Lowry is $6.3 cap, with $3 dead cap.  So that's a spot to potentially clear $3.3, not trivial, via cut. 

Perhaps more likely could be a restructure with extension, and perhaps save more? 

-For example, if he was given the choice between getting cut and battling on the open Covid market...

- versus taking a  $7/2 restructure plus 2 voidable years, for example, with $0.5 in base each year but 6 guaranteed?  Then he'd only count as like $2 toward cap this year?  So that could save $4.3 in cap, enough to cover the draft class?  Or enough to perhaps cover a King contract?  

• Like 1