Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Rob DemovskyESPN Staff Writer 

Based on early returns, the Packers are active in the cornerback and defensive line market with mid-level free agents, per sources. They've inquired about multiple players at those spots. Makes sense given that Kevin King is likely gone and D-line depth is a must.

Maybe it would be simpler to report on the positions GB isn't looking at.

Thank you for allowing us to share in the fanfare, enjoying the best brats, Old Fashions, and Bloody Mary’s. We can’t wait to bring our kids back when they are older to experience the magic of Lambeau Field. Until then, keep carrying the G!

Anna Linsley

Zach Kruse -   In the last year:

– MIN signs Kirk Cousins to extension (3/16/20)
– CHI trades for Nick Foles (3/18/20)
– GB trades up to draft Jordan Love (4/23/20)
– DET trades Matthew Stafford for Jared Goff (1/31/21)
– CHI signs Andy Dalton (3/16/21)

And – Aaron Rodgers wins MVP (2/7/21)

• Andy Herman -    Want to know why you draft a quarterback before you need one?!
  • Like 1

Ian Rapoport -   The Packers and OLB Za'Darius Smith completed a restructure of his contract to create cap room, source said, allowing the team space to sign RB Aaron Jones.

• Andy Herman -  So a restructure and not an extension. That wording is pretty important here. Which means Z's contract, for now, is still done in two years.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -   The Packers and OLB Za'Darius Smith completed a restructure of his contract to create cap room, source said, allowing the team space to sign RB Aaron Jones.

• Andy Herman -  So a restructure and not an extension. That wording is pretty important here. Which means Z's contract, for now, is still done in two years.

Obviously a short term solution. This only creates a bigger problem with his cap number for 2022 so I would imagine an extension will get done, just maybe not right now. 

If the Packers settle with just this restructure for Z, it tells me they absolutely intend on making a move with Rodgers' contract because otherwise, they are barely even under the cap without consideration to the draft, etc. Extending Adams would clear some additional space, but I thought the Packers would extend Z and clear closer to $13-14m in cap space with a new deal. That didn't happen. The Packers are going to have to restructure Rodgers and probably pretty soon. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers settle with just this restructure for Z, it tells me they absolutely intend on making a move with Rodgers' contract because otherwise, they are barely even under the cap without consideration to the draft, etc. Extending Adams would clear some additional space, but I thought the Packers would extend Z and clear closer to $13-14m in cap space with a new deal. That didn't happen. The Packers are going to have to restructure Rodgers and probably pretty soon. 

Agree. It looks like GB isnt eager to load up the future with debt on ageing players....which tells me they see a light at the end of some contracts.

Add on edit:  Or maybe they do wind up extending AR. Time will tell.

Edited by Leader