Bennett out as OC, Van Pelt out as QB Coach

Hawkfan191

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm just answering your question.  I mean, it's pretty clear the pressure is on Mike next year.

Yeah, here's what I already said.  It's been 12 years of McCarthy, and Philbin and McAdoo are the crown jewels.  It's even worse on Defense, and all indications are that MM picked that staff as well.  I've never heard of a coach who has less of a tree after 12 successful seasons in the NFL. 

The reality is that it's pretty strong evidence that MM in an ideal world would be in a Todd Haley Role under a defensive or rah rah coach like Tomlin.  He has failed to assemble an impressive staff, which is a PART of the failures of the team.  Still, MM is so dang good at offense, gameplanning, and playcalling that he's worth a HC role despite the deficiency.

23 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I'll acknowledge that there is a ton of variance in terms of what impacts a team's success.  But GB produces ZERO candidates, let alone any successful candidates.

Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Marvin Lewis, Jay Gruden produced the following in the similar time frame that McCarthy has been coaching GB.

Head coaches:

Doug Pederson, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Dan Quinn, Ron Rivera, John Harbaugh, Vance Joseph, Hue Jackson

Coordinators:

Gus Bradley,  Leslie Frazier, Steve Spagnuolo, Pat Shurmur, Marquand Manuel, Robert Saleh

The most exciting options are Winston Moss, Darren Perry, and Joe Whitt Jr.  None of which get serious consideration from head coaches for even a coordinator position.  There is a MASSIVE apparent chasm between our top offensive coach and top defensive coach and our assistants/position coaches.  None have been prepared to handle the reigns of their side of the ball.

McCarthy tried to prop up some of his guys, like AVP by giving him WRs and QBs and Tom Clements with OC/Asst HC and playcaller. They fell SO HARD on their faces that he was forced to take back control of playcalling and OC duties.  Clements is no longer in the league, Bennett is rumored to be taking a demotion from "in title only OC" back to RBs coach.

2016 was an excellent offense, the 4th highest scoring team in the league, and no one wanted to sniff at Tom Clements.

If McCarthy were fired today, he would be the best HC candidate to hit the market since John Harbaugh and Andy Reid.  And yet he has no talent on his staff.

Just now, Leader said:

I'm new around here but from where I come.....there was significant "in season / progress of the car crash" chit chat about how we handle the backup QB position going forward. Similar discussions around here? In general, what was the consensus.....or was there a consensus?

An upgrade is needed, but how reasonable is it?  I mean, the Packers have historically not spent much on their backups generally relying on younger players or depth QBs.  When was the last time they signed a FA to be their backup?  And I'm not talking about the Seneca Wallace debacle.  And given that Hundley is still on a rookie contract, it seems hard to release him unless he's being outplayed.

I gotta say,  this change is exciting, but this has me worried. 

If we get rid of McCarthy next year, which could happen. That could potentially mean our team has 2 new OC's, 2 new DC's and 2 new sets of position coaches in 2 years. Thats a lot of 2s! Really hope we hit some home runs here. 

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

An upgrade is needed, but how reasonable is it?  I mean, the Packers have historically not spent much on their backups generally relying on younger players or depth QBs.  When was the last time they signed a FA to be their backup?  And I'm not talking about the Seneca Wallace debacle.  And given that Hundley is still on a rookie contract, it seems hard to release him unless he's being outplayed.

Agreed - Hundley should definitely get a shot again next year - but my goodness, does he have some "stepping up" to do. My only "concern" with a new & improved rookie is that should AR go down for a short period - we'll be right back in it regards rookie mistakes and learning curves - meanwhile, any records/standings capital that AR might have built up - gets flushed right down the toilet - like this year.

We'll see. I'm done losing sleep over Hundley....till next year....maybe.

I would take Philbin back in a heartbeat.  I think he has a much broader experience than McAdoo.  McAdoo tried to carbon copy what 12 does in Green Bay and that fell flat on its face.  The offense under Philbin was much more diverse.  Yes, it also had more talent - but the in-game game adjustments made under Philbin were always spot-on. 

Possible Offensive coaching staff for next year?

Offensive Co-Ordinator: Joe Philbin??

QB Coach: Graham Harrell??

RB Coach: Ben Sirmans

WR Coach: David Raih??

OL Coach: James Campen

TE Coach: Brian Angelichio

Archived