2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Other than the obvious reasons of addressing the defense, I would think you have to look at Neslon as a 4 year guy. After that, if he lives up to expectations, you're looking at a guard that wants tackle money. It's tough to make that pick a long term cornerstone worthy of the investment

You nailed it. That's the factor which makes drafting an OG at 14 let alone in the first round too rich a luxury (unless perhaps you're in the extremely rare situation of seeing your team as having only one or two holes to fill, or have like 3 or more first round picks). That's why I don't see the Packers going with Nelson even if he were there at #14, even though he is a relatively 'safe' pick.

Everyone believes we need another WR or 2. Name guys you like after the 3rd round. One guy I see all over the board is Eq St. Brown. Where the heck will he get drafted? I’ve seen 2nd all the way to 6th in mocks. Point: We don’t need a WR in round 1-3

4-7 Round WR’s - St. Brown, Ced Wilson, Fountain, Lazard, Ateman, Tate, Valdez-Scantling,  Jaleel Scott, Justin Watson 

4-7 Round TE’s - Fumagalli, Dalton Schultz, Durham Smythe, Deon Yelder, David Wells

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd probably bite the bullet and take Landry in that case.  I really have no interest in a guard at #14 no matter how good he is.  We've seen over the years in Green Bay that you can get high quality guards much later in the draft. 

I have his as one of the 3 EDGE guys who are gone. Then what?

14 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I have his as one of the 3 EDGE guys who are gone. Then what?

So you are saying that Ward, Fitzpatrick, Roquan, Edmunds, James, Davenport and Landry are off the board?  I doubt that happens, but if it did I'd think long and hard about Vita Vea.  

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

Other than the obvious reasons of addressing the defense, I would think you have to look at Neslon as a 4 year guy. After that, if he lives up to expectations, you're looking at a guard that wants tackle money. It's tough to make that pick a long term cornerstone worthy of the investment

I've heard this line of logic A LOT over the last few months and I have a really hard time getting behind it. You don't want to draft a guard cause it's a low value position and you don't have anywhere else to try em if they bust - fine. Those are sound arguments.  

Instead here we're saying, "lets not draft him, because we're worried he'll be good." That's just crazy to me. If he's good enough to demand tackle money, it means we got probably 2-3 years of STELLAR o-lineman play - like all-pro, one of the best in the league money - which would mean he was worth the pick. 

34 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

I've heard this line of logic A LOT over the last few months and I have a really hard time getting behind it. You don't want to draft a guard cause it's a low value position and you don't have anywhere else to try em if they bust - fine. Those are sound arguments.  

Instead here we're saying, "lets not draft him, because we're worried he'll be good." That's just crazy to me. If he's good enough to demand tackle money, it means we got probably 2-3 years of STELLAR o-lineman play - like all-pro, one of the best in the league money - which would mean he was worth the pick. 

And then he goes somewhere else because you can't overpay that position like someone else will who doesn't have a franchise QB to pay. Is that 2-3 years worth the 14th pick ?

6 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Everyone believes we need another WR or 2. Name guys you like after the 3rd round. One guy I see all over the board is Eq St. Brown. Where the heck will he get drafted? I’ve seen 2nd all the way to 6th in mocks. Point: We don’t need a WR in round 1-3

4-7 Round WR’s - St. Brown, Ced Wilson, Fountain, Lazard, Ateman, Tate, Valdez-Scantling,  Jaleel Scott, Justin Watson 

4-7 Round TE’s - Fumagalli, Dalton Schultz, Durham Smythe, Deon Yelder, David Wells

...?

8 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

We surely do. Maybe not in round one, but in round two or three they could and should get one.......assuming the draft board shakes out in a way that supports that (and it should with so many 2nd-3rd round graded receivers).

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

And then he goes somewhere else because you can't overpay that position like someone else will who doesn't have a franchise QB to pay. Is that 2-3 years worth the 14th pick ?

Agreed. I think a high-priced guard is a better investment for a run-oriented team, which is definitely not what the Packers are. 

12 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

So you are saying that Ward, Fitzpatrick, Roquan, Edmunds, James, Davenport and Landry are off the board?  I doubt that happens, but if it did I'd think long and hard about Vita Vea.  

Doubtful but it could. I might lead Nelson in the ultimate worst case there. More of a need but Vea may serve as our DT next year. If you draft Vea, where would he play considering Clark?

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

We surely do. Maybe not in round one, but in round two or three they could and should get one.......assuming the draft board shakes out in a way that supports that (and it should with so many 2nd-3rd round graded receivers).

Who in the 2nd or 3rd is so much better than the list I gave?

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

I put 2-3 cause I was talking about a (hypothetical) elite years of play, you'd still have him for 5 years if you pick up the rookie option. For 5 years of good play, including 2-3 of elite, absolutely it is! Now, we're talking hypotheticals here, I still dont want Nelson, I just don't think the reasoning stated is logical.

Archived