NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Nobody ever say another word about trading Jaire Alexander. 

No team has ever won a Super Bowl in the history of the league without at least one defensive player like Jaire Alexander on the team.

Just imagine what happens when it's Jaire Alexander who takes on a leadership role. 

I want Jaire to be a career Packer.  Switch to safety at 32. 

He's got one more year then the fifth year option.  Rodgers will be gone or his end as clear as can be by the time we have to re-sign Jaire. 

This is probably right (as much as it pains me to say it.....) - that AR will probably be off the books (?) - allowing up to pay the guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VonKarman said:

Pay him. We spent a ton of draft capital trying to get a good CB. Don't wanna go down that road again.

Yeah, he will be top of the market when his time comes. As pointed out, this could coincide with our biggest contract coming to an end as well as the end of Tae, Z & P. We’ll be a much different roster in 2 years but outside of injury, there’s no reason Jaire shouldn’t be one of the cornerstone guys. 

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Trade him while we still have control.  JAX got 2 1st and a 4th for Ramsey.  If we could get 2 1st rounders well?  That was an excellent pick by Gute.  Kid will be making 20 mil/yr when his contract is up. What does he have 2 more years plus a 5th year option?  Guess a lot can change by then. Maybe the Packers will find a way to keep him.  On another separate note what are we going to do with DaVante?

What is it with GB fans and thinking draft picks are better than elite players?  Trading Alexander is a terrible idea, and there is zero chance Gute will do it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What is it with GB fans and thinking draft picks are better than elite players?  Trading Alexander is a terrible idea, and there is zero chance Gute will do it.

If you get yourself into cap hell, or have committed to fully rebuild, you would have to at least entertain the possibility. But yeah, truly elite QB, LT or CB and you have to commit. The whole point of the early rounds of the draft is to get one of those and it rarely happens. Pay them and use the later rounds and hopefully wise free agency to fill out the roster. 

Bill Barnwell -   What’s happened to Goff and Wentz since they signed their extensions has to worry GMs who are about to sign QBs to extensions. If you have a transcendent QB, everything’s great. If you have a guy who needs to be schemed up with great talent around him …

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leader said:

On a separate note......

What are we going to do when Jaire says he wants Jalen Ramsey money?  Thoughts?

The big money in Jaire's contract will kick in at the end of the Z, Preston, Amos era for sure and potentially even the Rodgers/Adams era. 

You've got next year, and a 5th year option, the first year of his extension in 2023 will be probably worth about as much as the 5th year. That first big jump will be in the 2024 season.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I tend to prefer liquid coffee, myself ;) (I know, f'in autocorrect) 

Wilson/Fields won't slide, not in today's league, but IF one does it's probably not a bad idea to snap them up in the back end of the 1st. Wentz/Goff were to players who had mid-round grades but their teams went all in to get them 1-2 and we saw how that worked out. 

🤣🤣🤣

Ya, I’m just not in on them. I think there is value waiting if you’re Det with their draft capital too 

5 hours ago, Scoremore said:

In theory yes but we have NO cash.  Can't pay them all unfortunately.  He'll probably want to be the highest paid CB in football. So how do you pay him?  Same goes for Davante. They committed big money to Bak, Clark, and Rodgers.  We are well over the cap as it stands right now.  Would hate to lose Alexander love his game and swagger.  Fortunately we'll have another year or two to figure it out.  He's the best CB I have ever seen play for the Packers and we have had some good ones over the years. It's certainly not as easy as pay him whatever he wants.  Those kind of decisions have consequences.

The Packers will have at least 33M in cap room in 2022 and a ton more in '23 (granted, they will also have to extend Jenkins and decide what to do with Z). However, they won't be short on money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VonKarman said:

We still have the 5th year option, so we probably extend him in a year.

Definitely we will pick it up, maybe we can get a deal done before we have to use it. His option went up by close to $3 mil by him making the probowl this year.