Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

14 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Just a reminder that great players aren't always great coaches...

It certainly can't help that both of the basketball programs aren't exactly in great shape right now.  I don't follow either one, but I knew it probably wasn't going to end up going well a couple of years ago for her (whenever that was) when the best player on the team transferred out...I can't quite remember her name.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Fun Fact...I was working at McDonalds on 80th and Nicollet in the early 90s and Kirby came through my drive-thru (as did Christian Laettner a couple of times later on).  That was one of my great memories. 

Kirby was my first sports hero. I totally idolized the guy. I got to meet him a couple of times in elementary school and Jr. High. When they say "never meet your heroes," that absolutely did not apply to him. He was the same smiling, energetic guy you saw on the field. Was super kind to all of the kids and made you feel like you and him were the only people in the room. He's still the greatest Twin ever.

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Kirby was my first sports hero. I totally idolized the guy. I got to meet him a couple of times in elementary school and Jr. High. When they say "never meet your heroes," that absolutely did not apply to him. He was the same smiling, energetic guy you saw on the field. Was super kind to all of the kids and made you feel like you and him were the only people in the room. He's still the greatest Twin ever.

Agreed.  It's what made the things that happened at the end of his life so jarring, because he was in real life up until that point, exactly like he everyone thought he was. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  It's what made the things that happened at the end of his life so jarring, because he was in real life up until that point, exactly like he everyone thought he was. 

Indeed. I always wondered if it was his forced retirement that he had a problem dealing with. It certainly doesn't excuse anything, but perhaps it explains a few things.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

This Wolves season has been quite a ride. They have managed to hold up decently in the playoff race despite the injuries. Could have been in race for 3rd seed if they didn't lose so many games vs bad teams

It is going to be interesting to see if they can actually make Rudy/KAT/Ant work, now that they're all going to be healthy again. It wasn't looking promising before their injuries. 

So Twins opening day line up looks like:

Gallo - 1B
Correa - SS
Buxton - DH
Miranda - 3B
Kepler - RF
Larnach - LF
Gordon - 2B
Taylor - CF
Vazquez - C

and long term hopefully:

Buxton - CF/DH
Correa - SS
Polanco - 2B
Miranda - 3B
Gallo - CF/DH
Kepler - RF
Kirilloff - 1B
Larnach - LF
Vazquez/Jeffers - C

If healthy there's a lot of power in that lineup. Hopefully Lee and Lewis push for time in the 2nd half, too. I'm also starting to like the pitching staff, too. No real ace, but a bunch of high end #2s as starters, and way more power in the pen with Duran, Lopez, Alcala, and Jax. This team should win the division - which isn't saying much - but I think this can be the most competitive pitching staff we've seen in a decade plus, with some promise in the minors, too.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:57 PM, swede700 said:

I would probably actually watch more warmup basketball if they'd do stuff like this?  😂  Flip Saunders was on that team, although I can't tell which one he is.

Ben Johnson's biggest failure- he hasn't recruited anyone who can ride a unicycle.