Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I hesitate ever taking another special teams player from the Ravens after that last fiasco.  

Yeah I thought about that as well but also not sure there are tons of punters with talent just sitting around, and Townsend is a decent punting prospect.

Vedvik was a super rare kicking prospect, few if any I can recall in twenty years both kicked and punted in the same season while in college and was very good at both.  Sure he maybe needed to simplify and pick one to be great at but still the kid was a ridiculously talented kicker.  

Fact is Zimmer's track record with kickers and or punters is absolutely awful, would be hard to find a coach that has a worse track record with kickers than he does.  Daniel Carlson is proof of that, he was 33-35 kicking field goals last year so Zim just does not do well with kickers straight out, maybe he is too hard on them and does not give them confidence and is too old school...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I thought about that as well but also not sure there are tons of punters with talent just sitting around, and Townsend is a decent punting prospect.

Vedvik was a super rare kicking prospect, few if any I can recall in twenty years both kicked and punted in the same season while in college and was very good at both.  Sure he maybe needed to simplify and pick one to be great at but still the kid was a ridiculously talented kicker.  

Fact is Zimmer's track record with kickers and or punters is absolutely awful, would be hard to find a coach that has a worse track record with kickers than he does.  Daniel Carlson is proof of that, he was 33-35 kicking field goals last year so Zim just does not do well with kickers straight out, maybe he is too hard on them and does not give them confidence and is too old school...

I think that Zimmer has had some rough luck with kickers since day one, so he has developed an aversion to letting kickers kick their way out of a funk. I hope the short leash treatment doesn't continue, because every kicker goes through a rough spell. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:
Best of luck to him

That is too bad, but clearly something with that hit and concussion in that game changed things for him.   Too bad, he was a talented player and never really got a chance in the NFL honestly because of all the health issues but then again if he did not play football they possibly would have never found out his heart issue and his life would have been shortened possibly because of it.  

Great he could come back and play, sad way to end it but maybe he can still do something in football.

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Bad luck seven straight years? Seems to be a pattern, not just luck 

It is certainly a pattern at this point...a pattern of not being patient with kickers.  Of course, the only one that he didn't appear to ruin for the rest of their career is Carlson.  The reality is none of the other kickers he's ushered off have done anything anywhere else either.  Walsh, Vedvik and Forbath are all out of the league (as is Bailey now too).

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

You're the Vikings and picking at say...#24 in the draft with the current composition of this team. There's a kicker who you have 100% confidence will have a Justin Tucker career. Do you take him in round 1?

Of course not, but despite what others have said, I still have no problem drafting kickers late.  All late-round draft picks are crapshoots, so why not get a guy you don't want to compete against others for, even if it's a kicker or a punter?  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Bad luck seven straight years? Seems to be a pattern, not just luck 

It really hasn’t been 7 straight years. 

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It is certainly a pattern at this point...a pattern of not being patient with kickers.  Of course, the only one that he didn't appear to ruin for the rest of their career is Carlson.  The reality is none of the other kickers he's ushered off have done anything anywhere else either.  Walsh, Vedvik and Forbath are all out of the league (as is Bailey now too).

I’m very confident in saying that had Bailey been bailable before the draft Carlson would not have been draft, and had Bailey not been available later Carlson would not have been cut. 

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It really hasn’t been 7 straight years. 

I’m very confident in saying that had Bailey been bailable before the draft Carlson would not have been draft, and had Bailey not been available later Carlson would not have been cut. 

That is probably the case...but I bet the Cowboys probably at this point wished they hadn't cut him since they are now onto Greg the Leg, who is apparently now having his own issues and has been injured.

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

You're the Vikings and picking at say...#24 in the draft with the current composition of this team. There's a kicker who you have 100% confidence will have a Justin Tucker career. Do you take him in round 1?

Interesting question. With certainty.... That is very valuable. Still, probably no. I mean, if you could pick him with perfect hindsight....

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

100% confidence? No. 

100% guaranteed? Yes. 

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Unquestionably, yes. People really underestimate how important a reliable (let alone a great) kicker is for a team. It can change your entire game philosophy. Probably worth an extra 1-2 wins per season in close games. They'll play for 15 years and don't cost a lot of money. Considering like 50% of players picked in that range flame out, no question. 

• Like 3