Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Did Spielman have much for successful 3rd round picks? It seems like he struggled getting impact players there. Hopefully Jones will be able to contribute this year,  but it's crazy that 3 of the 4 3rd round picks from last year likely won't make the active roster. 

Edit: I guess I don't know how likely it is.  It's possible that they keep Mond as the 3rd string or keep the other 2 around 

Edited by vikesfan89

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Did Spielman have much for successful 3rd round picks? It seems like he struggled getting impact players there. Hopefully Jones will be able to contribute this year,  but it's crazy that 3 of the 4 3rd round picks from last year likely won't make the active roster. 

Edit: I guess I don't know how likely it is.  It's possible that they keep Mond as the 3rd string or keep the other 2 around 

The one statement I will make regarding last year's draft, and while it doesn't excuse Spielman, is that it was an immensely weak draft overall because of the impacts of the pandemic.  With a lot of players taking the extra year they were given , that thinned out the talent available for the draft, so a lot of players that were drafted wouldn't have been drafted in any other normal year.  

For your reference, here are the 3rd picks Spielman took in his tenure:

2007 - CB Marcus McCauley

2009 - CB Asher Allen

2012 - CB Josh Robinson (I see a theme)

2014 - DE Scott Crichton and RB Jerick McKinnon

2015 - DE Danielle Hunter

2017 - OG Pat Elflein

2019 - RB Alexander Mattison

2020 - CB Cam Dantzler

So, you have 1 tremendous success in Hunter, a couple of decent picks in McKinnon and Mattison (Dantzler still is wait and see), so-sos in McCauley, Allen and Robinson, mostly bust in Elflein and complete bust in Crichton.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The one statement I will make regarding last year's draft, and while it doesn't excuse Spielman, is that it was an immensely weak draft overall because of the impacts of the pandemic.  With a lot of players taking the extra year they were given , that thinned out the talent available for the draft, so a lot of players that were drafted wouldn't have been drafted in any other normal year.  

2009 - CB Asher Allen

2017 - OG Pat Elflein

2020 - CB Cam Dantzler

So, you have 1 tremendous success in Hunter, a couple of decent picks in McKinnon and Mattison (Dantzler still is wait and see), so-sos in McCauley, Allen and Robinson, mostly bust in Elflein and complete bust in Crichton.  

Maybe we should've traded up last season instead of having 4 3rd round picks?

• Like 5

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe we should've traded up last season instead of having 4 3rd round picks?

I think he just used the 3rd round on basically as his UDFAs.   I do recall a lot of chatter that there were really only maybe 2 rounds of players or just above that that would have been draftable in a normal year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can't say that either.  Wright hasn't really impressed me in the least.

As far as punting is concerned, they seemed about the same. Six to one. 

But Joseph has had a stellar camp and preseason, and Berry has been the holder for most of it. And while Joseph has said that he is good with either punter holding, I just hope it doesn’t take a quarter of the season to find the chemistry with Wright that seems to be there with Berry. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

2009 - CB Asher Allen

2017 - OG Pat Elflein

2020 - CB Cam Dantzler

I forgot hunter was in the 3rd