Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I would agree with that. But as a 49er fan, I'm not going to stop praying that he goes the other way lol. Even if it's not talib, I will happily take Sanders though...would be an amazing fit for the 49ers I think...so I really hope you guys are pushing on Cousins now. While there's no guarantee, I just think that it would work out well for the 49ers in the end in some way. 

Elway always wanted Cousins. Drafting Baker is just the backup plan in case Cousins picks a different team.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

The ONLY way this could be saved is if this were a deal where we could get out of it after 2-3 years and we draft our QBOTF now to sit behind Alex.

And that would be the ONLY way to save it. And even then, its a bad save with the $70m in guaranteed money

$70m guaranteed at $24.5m (is that right?) AAV would mean a Y4 out and leave 1 year plus a 5th-year-option if the QB is taken in the 1st round (barring a scenario where you could unload a 35+ year old Smith with those guarantees left on his deal to someone).  If that's their strategy, I'd wager they're looking at waiting till next year for an all-in move on a QB prospect (as that would still at least give you some cap-flexibility out of the rookie deal).  Plus it would give you a year (or two... hell, maybe even the opportunity for a new GM if Snyder finally stops sniffing glue!) to essential extensions housekeeping in order (i.e. Scherff, Moses maybe?, etc.).

7 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Not only this, but the Chiefs let Alex go after 2018 they would have gotten a 3rd comp pick next year for sure. Plus Alex agreed to sign an extension... I think this could be big. Josh Norman big

Not sure this deal makes sense for KC if they're getting someone back who makes almost as much as Alex was scheduled to. Hence why I think it's probably Preston Smith or Ryan Anderson. Peters and Norman would be an incredible combination though

Edited by matt79511

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

$70m guaranteed at $24.5m (is that right?) AAV would mean a Y4 out and leave 1 year plus a 5th-year-option if the QB is taken in the 1st round (barring a scenario where you could unload a 35+ year old Smith with those guarantees left on his deal to someone).  If that's their strategy, I'd wager they're looking at waiting till next year for an all-in move on a QB prospect (as that would still at least give you some cap-flexibility out of the rookie deal).  Plus it would give you a year (or two... hell, maybe even the opportunity for a new GM if Snyder finally stops sniffing glue!) to essential extensions housekeeping in order (i.e. Scherff, Moses maybe?, etc.).

I'm expecting a 2nd child in late April. Right around the draft. I don't think this is gonna be healthy for me to be a fan right now.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Lets focus on what is really important after hearing about Smith's deal...how much do the 49ers have to pony up to Jimmy G now? 

Oh, your cap is done. John Lynch gonna need a 2nd, 3rd and 4th mortgage, and he's gonna have to drive Uber on the weekend to afford Garropolo.

• Like 2