Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

Not a terrible deal considering this confirms Cousins was never gonna play for them long term, Alex Smith is a decent replacement and the compensation given up is about right.

Still the Redskins if possible should've just given Cousins whatever $$$ he wanted. 

Curious to see how Smith fares without a run game, defense, and premier TE(Reed's good but never healthy) to help him out. But that gauranteed money is something. Obvi they plan on keeping him around for at least a couple years. Putting all your eggs in an Alex Smith basket with limited offensive talent doesnt seem smart to me.

Chiefs win big here imo. They get sorely needed CB help, a 3rd round pick, and 15+ mil in cap space. Plus theyve got Mahomes in waiting after a year of grooming with a great young RB to help take the pressure off him. Tyreek Hill gonna be catching bombs next season.

• Like 1

Wow, this is crazy news to hear. I'm a big Cousins fan, if we didn't trade for Jimmy G I wanted us to go after him. I hope he goes to an AFC team now to keep him out of the NFC. I'm glad for Cousins, the Skins are clueless and now he can go where he is wanted. The whole Cousins thing was handled so badly by Washington. Just think, they were too cheap to pay him 3 years ago and I think it would've been around $18M a year contract if they did it back then. That contract would be a steal right now.  Dumb move.

What if the Redskins still try to franchise tag Kirk Cousins just to trade him?  I know that's against NFL rules, but it's one of those things you can't prove one way or another, so I wonder if they're going to try to do that.  Do they even have the cap space to do it? 

This is why compensatory picks should go up to at LEAST the second round. 

This thread moved fast over night so I don't know if this is has been said, but Alex smith for $23.5M a year is terrible compared to Kirk Cousins for $28M a year. So either the Redskins Ownership just didn't want to sign Kirk for personal reasons, or they new Kirk would never sign with them no matter what.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

What if the Redskins still try to franchise tag Kirk Cousins just to trade him?  I know that's against NFL rules, but it's one of those things you can't prove one way or another, so I wonder if they're going to try to do that.  Do they even have the cap space to do it? 

This is why compensatory picks should go up to at LEAST the second round. 

If they franchise him, Kirk can sign the tag and then sit for a year for $34M without having to play, would wreck the Redskins cap room.