This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If you still think there's a chance Fields MIGHT take a big step, maybe it happens with Williams breathing down his neck. 

Possible.  3rd OC in 4 years makes that a pretty big leap

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The more good QBs you have, the better 

If Fields was good, they wouldn't need to consider drafting a QB at 1.1

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lodestar said:

They're picking Williams or Maye.

I believe this is the case. After watching Stroud lead the Texans to the playoffs no way are the Bears letting one of these guys get away. They won't make that mistake again. I believe it will be Williams which I'm fine with. Williams is on the smallish side and not as athletic as Fields.

Fields is much bigger and stronger, that's the only reason he was able to take the hits and punishment. A smaller Williams will get destroyed and ruined behind that line.

Edited by St Vince

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Obvious solution to me is to take your fave QB at 1 and then have a legitimate competition giving Fields the inside lane. 

There's 0% chance the Bears do that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I know. They're inept.

QB is weird because it's so zero sum.... at any other position (with very few exceptions ...maybe C or lockdown corner) a rookie or role player can sub in for a few plays and it's no big deal. 

If your preferred starter at QB isnt taking every snap possible though, it's "O NOES CONTROVERSY"

The Bears just don't have the stability/leash in the GM or HC to pull off Fields or Williams.

They are darned if they do and darned if they don't.

Taking Williams means you should trade Fields.  Not a big deal.  It can happen.  But then to get the best out of Williams, they need a HC and GM that can have a long leash so as to sign a decent vet QB and let Williams sit and learn for a season.  Rushing Williams out there likely doesn't win enough for them to keep their jobs.

Keeping Fields and passing on the Qb's means they had better win next year.  Really win.  And with how Justin reads defenses, or doesn't read defenses, I don't feel like that can happen, regardless of the pieces they put around him.

Just my thoughts, but they just don't have the stability to pull either of these off.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

If Fields was good, they wouldn't need to consider drafting a QB at 1.1

Playing Devil's Advocate here...  

The Bears played a LOT better after game 11 or 12.  I would say similar to the Lions last season.  Their defense was better, but they also scored a lot more too.  Give Fields the benefit of the doubt here, let's say that he is a perfect 16th best QB in the league from here on out.  If you think Williams is Andrew Luck, don't you have to take him? I can see a world where the Bears compete with Fields.  They finished the season 5-3 (don't worry about the schedule, we are giving Fields the benefit of the doubt).  But they also find themselves with the number one pick.  Where that team currently is, they always have to consider taking the potential top tier QB.

The week 18 game vs GB showed me that Fields hasn't progressed worth a damn, and CHI still doesn't trust him to do anything beyond the basics.  There's no way I could stick with Fields and hope he gets better if I am the Bears GM.

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The Bears played a LOT better after game 11 or 12.  I would say similar to the Lions last season.  Their defense was better, but they also scored a lot more too.

Counterpoint: they scored 9 points on a Joe Barry defense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The Bears played a LOT better after game 11 or 12.  I would say similar to the Lions last season.  Their defense was better, but they also scored a lot more too.  Give Fields the benefit of the doubt here, let's say that he is a perfect 16th best QB in the league from here on out.  If you think Williams is Andrew Luck, don't you have to take him? I can see a world where the Bears compete with Fields.  They finished the season 5-3 (don't worry about the schedule, we are giving Fields the benefit of the doubt).  But they also find themselves with the number one pick.  Where that team currently is, they always have to consider taking the potential top tier QB.

I don't think he can play from the pocket and go through progressions. At the end of the day that means his ceiling is a wildcard level team and early exit even if you're successful loading up around him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't think he can play from the pocket and go through progressions. At the end of the day that means his ceiling is a wildcard level team and early exit even if you're successful loading up around him.

I guess I am just arguing semantics, is midlevel or bad level really all that different?  It would be a little more interesting if the Bears had pick 6 or something and had a choice between QB 3 or Fields.  I think this instance is just too good to pass up for the Bears.  There are probably more than a handful of teams that would switch QBs if the Panthers gifted them the first pick.  I also wonder where the line is drawn between going with Fields vs a draft pick.  

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I guess I am just arguing semantics, is midlevel or bad level really all that different?  It would be a little more interesting if the Bears had pick 6 or something and had a choice between QB 3 or Fields.  I think this instance is just too good to pass up for the Bears.  There are probably more than a handful of teams that would switch QBs if the Panthers gifted them the first pick.  I also wonder where the line is drawn between going with Fields vs a draft pick.  

It's worse. You'd have a chance with a mid level guy like Goff or Stafford or Mayfield. You don't with Fields. When you are forced to throw he's going to hold you back no matter who his supporting cast is.

I thought that Poles said he'd take a quarterback last year if one blew him away.

Guessing it is the same this year.  

Also?  I could see both Williams and Maye blowing him away.  Especially if he just watched all the film on Fields this year when he's trying to throw the football.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Fields can't process. That much is apparent by now. Any staff that sticks with him doesn't understand football and is destined to fail. He's limited as all get out. He has tools but no toolbox. 

His tools allow him to throw at helmets

Screen-Shot-2022-11-20-at-12.41.24-PM-e1