Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

If the Patriots hire Josh McDaniels, they'd better get the same angry "Rooney Rule violation" NFL investigation that the Browns and Raiders got. The whole process is laughable. Good intentions and horrific implementation/execution, doing lip service in so many cases.

• Like 1

Just now, cddolphin said:

I'd prefer that. They probably don't do it because they know billionaires are capable of negotiating through back channels and it'd be a farce. 

Kind of an aside but if they did this they should also push free agency to after the draft.

Of course they won't. Whether we like it or not, the fact is, its a competition based ona first come first serve mentality. The league itself would have to enforce any related rule, and we know how much that accomplishes. And the hiring process isn't meant to be equitable. If interviews and such all started at the end of the league year, it would appear more reasonable, but as you said,  it'd be a farce.

I totally agree on FA too. With the cap and roster limits and the draft being full of surprises, I've always wondered why you wouldn't wait to see who was available before letting someone else go. Or, for example, signing Isaiah Crowell to an inflated deal only to see Saquon Barkley fall to you in the draft. Extreme, but getsthe point across.

29 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Who cares? What does this fluff article change?

It's more news about the story, just like the tweet about his agent terminating his relationship with him. It's an article about why he had a late change of heart. I thought people might be interested. If you're not, that's fine. Simply move along, lol

Edited by childofpudding

McDaniels better be the heir to the HC job in NE.

Otherwise to be OK with the knowledge that you're coercing a young coach into committing career suicide for your own gain says a lot about BB and Kraft. Those two knew the perception this would cause a guy like McDaniels and they talked him into it anyway, hopefully he has a guarantee that this is a succession plan for him, otherwise that's just a real scummy move on their part.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

McDaniels better be the heir to the HC job in NE.

Otherwise to be OK with the knowledge that you're coercing a young coach into committing career suicide for your own gain says a lot about BB and Kraft. Those two knew the perception this would cause a guy like McDaniels and they talked him into it anyway, hopefully he has a guarantee that this is a succession plan for him, otherwise that's just a real scummy move on their part.

It isn't career suicide at all....He's clearly the heir apparent in NE. BB and Kraft already practice god knows what dark magic to keep their superbowl and Tom Brady playing at an elite level dreams alive.

Just now, OleXmad said:

It isn't career suicide at all....He's clearly the heir apparent in NE. BB and Kraft already practice god knows what dark magic to keep their superbowl and Tom Brady playing at an elite level dreams alive.

I said if he's not the heir then it is. No team is going to touch him other than NE. He's either the next HC of NE or he got convinced to come back to NE to live out the tenure of BB as a coordinator and the next coach of the Pats would have to make a decision on his fate.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I said if he's not the heir then it is. No team is going to touch him other than NE. He's either the next HC of NE or he got convinced to come back to NE to live out the tenure of BB as a coordinator and the next coach of the Pats would have to make a decision on his fate.

I honestly think that's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. It truly doesn't look good on him, but owners will eventually forgive if he continues to perform well.

"It's just business. This is how the world works."

• It was so much like the real world that the person representing him (his agent, Bob LaMonte) dropped him as a client directly as a result of his decision to back out. "My word is my bond," LaMonte told Sports Business Journal on Wednesday. "Once you break that, there's nothing left."
  • In the real world, if you had so many people convinced you were taking the job that other people were moving their lives as a result, it's probably too late to back out without looking like a morally bankrupt individual (if the reason for backing out was simply having a "better offer" in your opinion)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

People overlook domestic abusers and drunk drivers along with some real scumbags in the NFL. You think because McDaniels has commitment issues some desperate team isn't going to give him a shot? Give it a few years and if BB still hasn't retired the NFL will forget/forgive. 

It's not career suicide at all either way.

Just now, OleXmad said:

People overlook domestic abusers and drunk drivers along with some real scumbags in the NFL. You think because McDaniels has commitment issues some desperate team isn't going to give him a shot? Give it a few years and if BB still hasn't retired the NFL will forget/forgive. 

In today's NFL? I think teams would much rather give a second chance to a guy with a legal issue than an issue like this. Not necessarily a positive, but the fact his agent (one of the biggest coach agents in the NFL) immediately cut ties goes to show how poorly this will be viewed.

• Like 1

Just now, OleXmad said:

At the very least, multiple NFL teams won't even bother bringing him in for an interview. 

Imagine a scenario where the Ravens job opens up right after Week 17. There's a very limited number of desirable NFL coaching candidates. You lined up your interviews and Josh McDaniels was high on your list. And he told you, he'd be your next coach. He gives you who he wants on his staff and since those coaches aren't prevented from being hired and signing documents, you get the ball rolling and start hiring them. Unfortunately, you can't officially hire McDaniels because his team is still in the playoffs but he assures you that he's coming. You stop interviewing. Other coaches are hired at other teams. And after the Super Bowl, you announce that he's going to be the next guy and a day later, he says he isn't coming because he's changed his mind. 

No team will risk having that happen to them. And Josh McDaniels just showed every single NFL owner that he has no problem doing that to a team.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TomRalph said:

Your burning hatred of the Patriots is hilarious.

Is your hatred of the Patriots greater than your support of the Broncos?

Not quite, but it isn't far off. Kraft was reduced to such a seething mess over the Colts catching them defrauding the rules that he pulled this. I almost kinda want the Colts to go win championships with whoever they hire instead just to spite that utter scumbag McDaniels, who deserves bad things to happen to him.

12 hours ago, TomRalph said:

https://deadspin.com/everyone-looks-bad-in-the-josh-mcdaniels-mess-1822795401

From the Colts’ statement, mercifully released after a ludicrous, painful hour in which everyone was reporting McDaniels had backed out but while Colts.com’s top story was still the hire of McDaniels:

After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts’ new head coach, New England Patriots assistant coach Josh McDaniels this evening informed us that he would not be joining our team. Although we are surprised and disappointed, we will resume our head coaching search immediately and find the right fit to lead our team and organization on and off the field.

Agreeing to contract terms, you’ll notice, is not the same thing as signing a contract. It’s also not a “hire” in any legal sense. McDaniels did nothing here that he wasn’t within his rights to do. (Let’s take a moment to note that the biggest concrete ****-up here is by the Colts, who announced and promoted a hire before he was hired. There was absolutely nothing to gain by not waiting for pen to be put to paper before announcing this. Unless—and this is pure speculation—they were aware of his uncertainty and hoped to pressure him into signing by going public. In which case, it backfired amazingly.)

But this still a ****ty move by McDaniels, especially to those assistants who signed their contracts with the Colts expecting to work under him. Those coaches are expected to remain with Indianapolis—the reporting so far has been unclear on whether that is their choice, or whether the Colts are going to enforce their contracts against their will. And it’s a mess for the next head coach, who may have to work with a staff he didn’t assemble.

Edited by childofpudding

I really don't see McDaniels getting a HC gig anywhere but New England now. Backing out of a job, especially when you already have a bad reputation, is a mortal sin in the NFL coaching world. That being said, if he has a great relationship with Kraft and BB retires soon, it will not have been that bad a move from McDaniels.