Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

On 3/23/2018 at 8:58 PM, titans0021 said:

He should chase money. As long as it doesn't affect his effort on the field, go get paid again. Every player should. This concept that guys should take discounts to play for winning teams when they get, maybe, three contracts in their career is just so crazy to me.

Scheme fit is also a thing, not just effort. A good player in a bad scheme will lead to you getting cut sooner than later. Take the most money for the best scheme fit, and maximize your short-term and long-term earning potentials.

8 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Cardinals? I was thinking the Seahawks should. Wilson usually doesn't stand a chance when it's just Donald out there. Throw Suh into the mix and the guy should just fall over after every snap to avoid major injury. We all know his OL ain't gonna block a damn thing for him anyways.

The 49ers wouldn't be in a good spot either if the rams landed Suh. While our bookends are decidedly good, the interior of our line is not. Richburg is a nice get for us, and should help out a bit, but he's not an overpowering presence in the interior, and will likely struggle against some bigger, stronger players. Our guards are in bad shape. Garnett was pretty terrible his rookie year, missed all of last year, and is now being shuffled into a scheme that really doesn't fit what he came out as. Laken Tomlinson actually wasn't bad at all last year, but he's a pretty average type guard. He did get much better as the season wore on last year, which is nice to see, and I have some hopes for him entering the season. Then we went out and signed Cooper, who really isn't an upgrade at all (I have no idea why we gave him the money we did), and he can't stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Screw this team if it trades this Odell. Like seriously.

Agreed. You don’t trade a HOF talent that has done nothing but produce since he came into the league and is only 25.

I wish the Bills could get him and pair him with a nice young QB they draft this year.

12, 22, 53, 65, 2019 1st, and 2nd

for OBJ and the #2 pick. Say no to that!!!

On 3/22/2018 at 11:05 PM, Kiltman said:

does wade usually let your NT one gap?

His scheme is a 1-gap scheme all across the front 3.  Has been going all the way back to his first stint in Denver and his father's defense in Houston.  Recall Jamaal Williams when Wade was the DC in San Diego or Jay Ratliff when Wade was the DC in Dallas.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:43 AM, Ryan_W said:

endorsement $ goes to champions, bet on yourself or bust

If you're talking nationally, sure.  But in the mega-markets that's not a prerequisite, just that your name and face have strong proliferation and recognition throughout the market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/26/which-teams-would-want-obj/

Florio needs to get off of this schtick. All off-season he has been saying the Chargers need to add big-names to keep up with the Rams even when the player doesn't fit. I get this line of thinking when it comes to Suh, but Sherman and now Odell. It doesn't make sense from the Chargers perspective. 

Keenan is on a cheap deal and he isn't that far off from Odell as a player. So why would the Chargers trade for a player that isn't that much better and is going to cost a ton to retain him? 

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/26/which-teams-would-want-obj/

Florio needs to get off of this schtick. All off-season he has been saying the Chargers need to add big-names to keep up with the Rams even when the player doesn't fit. I get this line of thinking when it comes to Suh, but Sherman and now Odell. It doesn't make sense from the Chargers perspective. 

Keenan is on a cheap deal and he isn't that far off from Odell as a player. So why would the Chargers trade for a player that isn't that much better and is going to cost a ton to retain him? 

Florio is a complete and utter moron. I won’t read anything that he writes. 

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Come on, Les. Call up the Giants and trade #23 and next years 3rd rounder for ODB. Alright have an open line of communication from trading Ogletree. Do it. Go full Madden Mode!!

I'm a little worried by that idea.

It’s flashy but IMO the Rams are 1-2 guys from a complete team.  Getting OBJ if they give up a ton of draft capital and then a lot of $$ would be a splash but this team O us based on Gurley and Goff spreading it around.   It’s a great story but I think the Rams would be better off with Suh then an EDGE and ILB in the draft.  

On 3/24/2018 at 3:58 AM, titans0021 said:

He should chase money. As long as it doesn't affect his effort on the field, go get paid again. Every player should. This concept that guys should take discounts to play for winning teams when they get, maybe, three contracts in their career is just so crazy to me.

Depends on the value of things and how smart you are with your money, but really once you've made over $5m you're set for life and can focus on other things. It's a business and I'd never criticise anyone for going to the highest bidder, but I can see a very clear argument for taking a discount to go to a contender.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:58 PM, titans0021 said:

Well, if he is only in it for the money, he will not add much to the team that signs him. Believe it or not, winners want to actually play on a competitive team, losers go for the money alone!!!

I do not blame any player for wanting to get paid what he deserves!

Besides, his chances of going anywhere but the Giants, are about 99 to 1.

14 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Well, if he is only in it for the money, he will not add much to the team that signs him. Believe it or not, winners want to actually play on a competitive team, losers go for the money alone!!!

I do not blame any player for wanting to get paid what he deserves!

Besides, his chances of going anywhere but the Giants, are about 99 to 1.

See, I just don't agree with this. Just because you're looking to chase money, doesn't mean you don't take pride in your work. Don't get me wrong, there are guys out there like that (see Haynesworth as the biggest example and Wilkerson as the most recent example), but Suh followed the money to Miami and that didn't prevent him from still being a really high quality football player, even when the team around him wasn't winning.

Archived