The Official Combine, AKA "Underwear Olympics" Thread

MWil23

It's the doldrums of the off-season, and the combine is looming.

What things do you care about/think our FO cares about when it comes to evaluating guys?

I'm worried that our FO and HC will actually care if Sam Darnold's hands aren't big enough.

Would like to see Saquon confirm freak status.

Interested to hear what teams think of Rosen's personality. As much as I love Darnold, Rosen should absolutely be in consideration.

Hoping to see a shortened, more compact release from Darnold, in line with that training clip we saw the other week.

I guess it may be the obvious answer, but I want the scout/coaching/exec team we send out there to spend lots of time with the QBs and get a good sense of their presence, personality, and how all of that would fit with the situation and team they'd be walking into and tasked to lead here.

I don't know how much the combine can prove to us that a hybrid/jack of all trades Safety can be a ball hawking centerfielder, but I agree with Brownie.

I'd love to see Derwin James show he's capable of it. He'd be a freakshow of a FS if he could. Only guy I can think off the top of my head that has similar measurable s and blew up the combine with FS freak talk was Taylor Mays.

I haven't seen a ton of James. I saw him in one game and was underwhelmed but apparently he was coming back from injury and rusty.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It's the doldrums of the off-season, and the combine is looming.

What things do you care about/think our FO cares about when it comes to evaluating guys?

I'm worried that our FO and HC will actually care if Sam Darnold's hands aren't big enough.

hand size is important takes and hand size isnt important at all takes are both terrible takes

take the argument to an extreme - could a baby throw a regulation sized football? no.  hands too small (amongst other things)
therefore it logically follows that at some point there should be a threshold for quarterbacks to meet for hand size
i'm guessing that most if not all players who played quarterback at D1 and or dominated at D2 level meet this threshold

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

hand size is important takes and hand size isnt important at all takes are both terrible takes

take the argument to an extreme - could a baby throw a regulation sized football? no.  hands too small (amongst other things)
therefore it logically follows that at some point there should be a threshold for quarterbacks to meet for hand size
i'm guessing that most if not all players who played quarterback at D1 and or dominated at D2 level meet this threshold

Yeah, I don't disagree with this take.

My OP in another thread was that you have guys like Goff and Aaron Rogers with 9" hands and guys like Wentz who are over 10" who are great...and the opposite holds true as well.

I just hope that someone in our FO doesn't pick Mayfield/Rosen over Darnold just based on them having bigger hands...like some ridiculous tie breaker.

I'm curious about how fast Josh Johnson and Denzel Ward time (for opposite reasons). It'd be nice to see some taller corners demonstrate good hips. 

I wanna see if Saquon really runs a 4.3. That'd make me a lot more comfy grabbing a running back that high in a class this stacked. 

I'd like to see who is twitchy among the wide receivers. My gut about this year's wide receivers is that there are going to be a lot of starters to be found, even as late as rounds 4-5.

I'm curious how Harold Landry looks. If we trade back with the Bills, he's a guy I like. I'm not ready to anoint Marcus Davenport as the DE2 of this class just yet. 

I agree with the others about safeties, especially the ones whom we are considering to play FS. How are their hips/agility?

I'd like some JAGs to run very fast and the combine and then for some other teams to over draft them. 

I know there is contention in here about it, but I wanna look closer at the centers, as I believe this year's depth is underrated/not discussed enough. We could grab a high end starter in the third round, maybe even later. I'd like to know how the top guys move and their strength, especially lower. 

I can't wait for the interviews. Right now I still see Darnold as QB3. Maybe I'll fall in love at the combine and see how much he's improved his throwing motion. Maybe Rosen will make other teams start to see Aaron Rodgers, which is still who I see there. Will Baker say or do something to prove folks like Cheddaar or Mind correct? I'm as excited as one can be about this stuff. 

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

Here's my thing with the hand size argument:

Did his small hands hurt him in any way in college? If not, then it's literally useless to be concerned with.

It's not like the ball gets any different in the NFL. If he didn't struggle with "small hands" in college, there's no reason to think he'd struggle with it in the pros.

Mitch Trubisky got crapped on for having small hands last year. What a dumb thing to get bent out of shape over. He didn't have any issues gripping the ball and ripping it down the field...why was this such a concern for people?

Sometimes players overcome things. Sometimes they don't. Small hands is one of the easiest things in the world to overcome. Look at Donald Trump.

Archived