Packers Sign DE Mo Wilkerson

Gopackgonerd

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, but I'm getting really freaking nervous about our damn defensive back situation. 

Gutey made sure to throw the "all avenues" caveat in there about the corner position. I'm going to rationalize that as he's in talks to move some of these mid round picks for a vet corner so I can sleep tonight.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You don't have to field them all at the same time.  Still plenty of snaps to go between the them.  Dean Lowry played in nearly 47% of the defensive snaps while Quinton Dial played in nearly 30% of the defensive snaps.  That means those two players' snaps are going to Wilkerson.

Ya no doubt that rotation is gonna be so much better, just saying its a good problem to have on whom you're gonna use on a down to down basis. 

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

Why? It's frustrating that we haven't signed a corner yet but if we end up with one or 2 of Pat Robinson, Claiborne, Melvin I would be happy. 

We're all annoyed. Some of us are willing to see it play out, and not be mad about things we can't control

Gute said during his presser that free agency might not necessarily be the way they'll upgrade the secondary. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the plan is. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

To show them how obnoxious it is to be told how to feel and how to post and what to post. 

Yes but dude it's also annoying to have a conversation on here and have someone quote every positive thing someone says and ****s on it by complaining about something else. 

Great deal. Mo is still good....when he wants to be. This being just a 1yr deal that will at most be worth $8 million means very little risk for GB. With him being reunited with Pettine and playing for a new payday, I'd expect Wilkerson to ball out.

Now....about the CB situation. Let's see what kind of miracles Gute can work there

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Gutey made sure to throw the "all avenues" caveat in there about the corner position. I'm going to rationalize that as he's in talks to move some of these mid round picks for a vet corner so I can sleep tonight.

Just sign House and Tramon and trade for Shields. Go all in circa 2014.

2 minutes ago, IrishGreen said:

^I know our old GM liked to forget the other mediums for acquiring players outside of the draft, but there might be other trades available as well.

i think we'll sign at least one CB, and have a hunch we'll take one in the 1st. if we could possibly trade for one as well, we'll be in about as good of shape as we could've hoped. randall doesn't change that. he wasn't that good.

You could not be more right.

Quick, which loser franchise TRADED for 1 of its starting CBs on August 11, 2017, signed a S who played 367 Defensive snaps on August 3, and signed its 3rd CB on March 28 (or well after the first wave of FAs was gone)?

Howie Roseman says hello Gute.

I would like this signing a lot better if teams didn't play so many two-man fronts nowadays. Or was the two-man front a Capers thing? Anyway, it's a one-year deal for a reasonable price, and it should give us a pretty great DL rotation, so I'm not complaining. I wonder if the defensive scheme will be altered to get all three of them on the field at the same time as often as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm sweating this Free Agency/Cap Situation. 

* Best case scenario, not a cent of incentives in Wilkerson's deal are deemed likely to be earned and he comes in with a cap hit of 5 million.

* Best case scenario, Jimmy Graham is only hitting you for about 4 million in cap hit.

* Draft class is hitting you for 2.5 million.

Burning 11.5 million right there.

Figure Gute probably doesn't run the 8 million in rollover that Thompson does, but I'm going to be skeptical if he doesn't keep 5 million in the bank. 

That leaves me with 15 million left to fix this ****.

++++

My 3rd WR is one of Allison/Janis/Davis

My RG is the winner of the camp battle between Justin McCray and Lucas Patrick

My 3rd and 4th rush backers are Kyler Fackrell and Vince Biegel, with two injury prone starters.

My starting SS is Kentrell Brice.

My 1st CB is Kevin King

My 2nd CB is Josh Hawkins

My 3rd CB is Lenzy Pipkins

My 4th CB is Herb Waters

++++

Even if you restructure Rodgers and really backload the hell out of that contract, you're going to struggle to fill those gaps. 

I get we've got draft picks, but I'm not liking the thought of trying to fill 4 starting spots with draft picks. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm sweating this Free Agency/Cap Situation. 

* Best case scenario, not a cent of incentives in Wilkerson's deal are deemed likely to be earned and he comes in with a cap hit of 5 million.

* Best case scenario, Jimmy Graham is only hitting you for about 4 million in cap hit.

* Draft class is hitting you for 2.5 million.

Burning 11.5 million right there.

Figure Gute probably doesn't run the 8 million in rollover that Thompson does, but I'm going to be skeptical if he doesn't keep 5 million in the bank. 

That leaves me with 15 million left to fix this ****.

++++

My 3rd WR is one of Allison/Janis/Davis

My RG is the winner of the camp battle between Justin McCray and Lucas Patrick

My 3rd and 4th rush backers are Kyler Fackrell and Vince Biegel, with two injury prone starters.

My starting SS is Kentrell Brice.

My 1st CB is Kevin King

My 2nd CB is Josh Hawkins

My 3rd CB is Lenzy Pipkins

My 4th CB is Herb Waters

++++

Even if you restructure Rodgers and really backload the hell out of that contract, you're going to struggle to fill those gaps. 

I get we've got draft picks, but I'm not liking the thought of trying to fill 4 starting spots with draft picks. 

Keep in mind, any player we sign removes another players contract from our Top 53. That’s about 500k coming off any players cap number as we sign guys.

also, why wouldn’t Josh Jones start at SS?

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

Keep in mind, any player we sign removes another players contract from our Top 53. That’s about 500k coming off any players cap number as we sign guys.

also, why wouldn’t Josh Jones start at SS?

Because Josh Jones sucks at everything except blitzing and Kentrell Brice isn't a terrible player. 

6 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Now please get a vet or two at corner so every thread stops becoming about not having any corners... You know... the day before free agency opens... O.o

Doesnt the season start tomorrow? :)

Archived