• Saquon Barkley Penn State
    • Derrius Guice LSU
    • Ronald Jones USC
    • Sony Michel Georgia
    • Nick Chubb Georgia
    • Kerryon Johnson Auburn
    • Rashad Penny SDSU
    • Other Please Name

We all know we are going to draft a RB but there of course is disagreement between philosophy and when we might take ours and who will be the best fit. 

So after signing Hyde and looking to resign Duke and having days it’s unclear what type of back we’ll be looking at. 

All offer something different 

Barkley best most talented most dynamic no one out of our coaches or FO has had a guy like this

Guice 3 down back most similar to guys that have been in Green Bay reminds me a more explosive Ahman Green. 3 day back that would cost a high pick but not Barkley high. 

Ronald Jones similar to Jamal Charles who both Haley and Dorsey had in Kansas City. Very explosive light but could be a 3 down player.

Michel straight line runner who can catch out the backfield but has been in a committee. 

Chubb AFC north mentality but coming off injury how long will he last and will he keep the explosiveness he’s gained back?

Kerryon Johnson most similar to Levon Bell. Patient runner who can catch our thr backfield. Slight 3 down back with an injury history. I could see is liking him a lot, but I wish he had more speed. 

Rashad Penny do it all back for SDSU slot of tread on his tires and I honestly don’t see anything special. Reminds me talent wise of a Shonn Greene type pro player. I think we could do better. 

I'm gonna say Guice too. Though I could see a lot of them, and my sleeper would be John Kelly out of Tennessee in the 4th. He has some off-field question marks, but Dorsey has shown a willingness to ignore those sometimes, and on-field I think he could be a part of the Guice/Jones/Michel tier.

If I had to wager, I'd say we will get either Guice or Penny. They are both "bell cow" types to pair with a guy like Duke Johnson. Guice may be gone in the first though, so if he's there in the 2nd or we trade back into the late first, then I could see us landing either.

Guice will lower the boom at the end of the run and take the contact to a defender like a good RB should, but he stops his feet far too often behind the line to ever truly be effective as a power back. I think he will often be a huge let down on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 situations. There is a difference between being patient waiting for the play to develop and stopping your feet. Kerryon Johnson does a great job of slow playing it behind the line and then explodes when the play does develop. It is hard for Guice to explode through a hole when he seems to be stopping far too often just before the play opens up.

I'm not a fan of him unless it is pick 64 or later.

Ronald Jones is far and away the 2nd best RB in this draft and probably thee best inside runner. I could give two craps less about his size. He runs aggressive in between the tackles. He has great contact balance and always keeps his feet moving. He understands how to find and hit small creases when most college RBs try to bounce it outside. Gets skinny and protects his body very well. I couldn't decide between him and Sony Michel for awhile because I like Michel's physical style of play better but the ultimate tie breaker for me is the fumbles. Jones is the best in the class at protecting the ball and Michel is one of the worst in the class protecting the ball.

1. Ronald Jones

2. Sony Michel

3. Kerryon Johnson

4. Derrius Guice

5. Nick Chubb

If we make the decision to pass on Saquan Barkley, which I am all in favor of even at #4, then we must take one of Jones, Michel or Johnson IMO because there is a big drop off after that and even if we get Michel or Johnson I would like to back it up with a late round Kelly, Adams or Ballage type of pick. I would be more than comfortable with Ronald Jones and no double down pick.

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Probably a full back. Dorsey is old school. I don’t see us drafting a RB. 

He never had a reason to draft one high with Jamaal Charles at RB when he first arrived in Kansas City. He still drafted Kniles Davis in the 3rd, DeAnthony Thomas in the 4th and Kareem Hunt in the 3rd just last year. Carlos Hyde is shaky at best and we have no real every down threat at RB like KC had. I'm 100% positive we will add a RB in this draft.

John Kelly could be this years Kareem Hunt except I see him even better. We don't have a 3rd right now but if we end up with one I could see Dorsey loving this guy there or even at #114 if he makes it that far.

OTHER.... Mark Walton RB Miami... he arguably has the best contact balance in the draft. Had a disappointing combine to some running a 4.6 (Kareem Hunt ran a 4.62; but had elite contact balance on a different level compared to Walton and had better vision).

Walton had 18 reps; Hunt had 18 reps; 118 broad jump vs 119 for Hunt.

Hunt is a more special player and bigger athlete and better natural runner coming out of college, but I predicted a while back that we'll select Walton either in the 4th or the 5th round.

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

OTHER.... Mark Walton RB Miami... he arguably has the best contact balance in the draft. Had a disappointing combine to some running a 4.6 (Kareem Hunt ran a 4.62; but had elite contact balance on a different level compared to Walton and had better vision).

Walton had 18 reps; Hunt had 18 reps; 118 broad jump vs 119 for Hunt.

Hunt is a more special player and runner coming out of college, but I predicted a while back that we'll select Walton either in the 4th or the 5th round.

Coming off an injury though so you still think his value outweighs that?

when I watched him I saw Devonta Freeman I like Walton but the injury scares me 

Archived