Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

It's what happens when a team has a long stretch of success. Success becomes expected and that expectation becomes irrational. It won't calm down until GB experiences a drought for awhile.

Yea no. Let's not overthink this. People are a bit down because despite being 2-1-1, we had a very disappointing tie against the Vikes, a game we both pissed away ourselves and the refs stole from us. Then we lost to a team we were favored to beat. It happens but no reason not to be upset when it does. 

We are just a 1 loss team but only a 2 win team after 4 games, 3 of which were at home. Most people here thought we'd be 4-0 or at worst 3-1 with these first 4 games on our schedule. We have underperformed so far, no reason to sugarcoat it or say it's because we are "spoiled" from past success. Just own it and hope we improve in all facets. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Yea no. Let's not overthink this. People are a bit down because despite being 2-1-1, we had a very disappointing tie against the Vikes, a game we both pissed away ourselves and the refs stole from us. Then we lost to a team we were favored to beat. It happens but no reason not to be upset when it does. 

We are just a 1 loss team but only a 2 win team after 4 games, 3 of which were at home. Most people here thought we'd be 4-0 or at worst 3-1 with these first 4 games on our schedule. We have underperformed so far, no reason to sugarcoat it or say it's because we are "spoiled" from past success. Just own it and hope we improve in all facets. 

Rodgers is hobbled.

That sucks. It's why we aren't 4-0.

Nothing you can do about it.

53 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

He had their QB totally buffaloed. 

I don't know if that's an awful or great post... There's nothing in between, no gray area. It's either awful or great... Thinking? O.o

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Most people here thought we'd be 4-0 or at worst 3-1 with these first 4 games on our schedule. We have underperformed so far, no reason to sugarcoat it or say it's because we are "spoiled" from past success. Just own it and hope we improve in all facets. 

Really ?  4-0 ?  With all of the questions involving youth in the secondary, depth behind the starters at WR?

Seems unrealistic too me.

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

People?... You need to be more specific; I’m “people” and I’m not down at all.

The way I see it is there just a lot of haters here now looking to bellyache about anything they can spin up. It’s easy to spin up drama when you’re dismissive of positive results and hyper negative of poor results.

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Really ?  4-0 ?  With all of the questions involving youth in the secondary, depth behind the starters at WR?

Seems unrealistic too me.

I thought there was a decent shot at 4-0 and 5-1 at the bye... However, that was before Rodgers knee injury and an obscene penalty on Mathews turning a win into a tie.

18 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I thought there was a decent shot at 4-0 and 5-1 at the bye... However, that was before Rodgers knee injury and an obscene penalty on Mathews turning a win into a tie.

Yep. I think (hope) most folks realized the defense would need time to fully digest the new info and strategies of Pettine. Another thing is the offense hasn't looked great at the beginning of the season for several years now, and that is directly attributable to a lack of playing together in the preseason. The first few games are the new preseason. Add in Rodgers not practicing due to injury and we may not see the offense hit its stride until the end of the month, but it will. I'm excited about the defense continuing to get better though, and the cool thing about it is it'll probably really come together about the same time the offense starts to take off, and then watch out.

37 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Decent shot is different than expecting it to happen, and then venting when it doesn't.

I think some fans lose perspective.

For instance, I would argue that the Rams have a loaded roster.  Their defense gave up 455 yards to Minnesota on Thursday night, and 20 points by halftime.

Our defense only gave up 21 points and 305 yards to Minnesota right up until the game was over and the refs artificially extended the game with bad call that the competition committee has now confirmed as a bad call.  But with some posters, we are just lucky, nothing to be happy about here, gotta take off the green and gold goggles.

Realistically, the team has played well enough to be 3-1, while having an injured QB who has practiced on a very limited basis.  Not bad given the circumstances in my book.  The offense, which a lot of people are complaining about, was good enough with a one leg QB to beat the defense that gets labelled as "one of the best in the NFL'.

It is a long season, teams rarely go through a season without a couple of upset losses, and injuries do affect outcomes. 

Maybe a little patience is in order?

34 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

But with some posters, we are just lucky, nothing to be happy about here, gotta take off the green and gold goggles.

They have this in common with the lambeau geriatric season ticket holders that never stand up and cheer.

12 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It's a glass half-full/half-empty discussion.  We're currently 2-1-1 with a hobbled Aaron Rodgers, our WRs can't seem to catch the ball, and we're breaking in a new defense.  All things considered, coming away 3-1 or better would be the most ideal situation.

5 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Having watched the quick replay of the Bills' game, I came away very impressed with Pettine's defense. He varied the personnel groupings, had guys dropping into coverage, and then on the next play rushing. He had their QB totally buffaloed. 

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers is hobbled.

That sucks. It's why we aren't 4-0.

Nothing you can do about it.

Disagree completely. We've seen Rodgers carry the team time and time again only to have our secondary and/or pass rush forget to show up.

The problem so far is that our run defense is horrible. Not only is our run defense terrible, but up until Sunday, CMIII wasn't allowed to touch the QB. Then you're talking about an offense that's sputtered because of play design and play-calling. We have a ton of weapons outside of Cobb, Allison, and Adams and we're not using them. Jimmy Graham should be leading all TE's in receptions at this point or be relatively close. Sure, we've had some injuries, but nothing catastrophic except for POSSIBLY the Mo Wilkerson injury.

Pettine needs to find a way to stop the run. Our DB's have been actually pretty reliable this year, especially the rookies.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Disagree completely. We've seen Rodgers carry the team time and time again only to have our secondary and/or pass rush forget to show up. The problem so far is that our run defense is horrible. Not only is our run defense terrible, but up until Sunday, CMIII wasn't allowed to touch the QB. Then you're talking about an offense that's sputtered because of play design and play-calling. We have a ton of weapons outside of Cobb, Allison, and Adams and we're not using them. Jimmy Graham should be leading all TE's in receptions at this point or be relatively close. Sure, we've had some injuries, but nothing catastrophic except for POSSIBLY the Mo Wilkerson injury. Pettine needs to find a way to stop the run. Our DB's have been actually pretty reliable this year, especially the rookies.

I wouldnt say its great - but I also wouldnt say its terrible. Looks more like average at this stage of the game.

Rushing Yards Allowed p/Game:  107.8 (15th) (League leader: PHILLY - 63.8)

Archived