Would you give Johnny Manziel another shot?

brownie man

Would you give Johnny Manziel Another shot?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU give him a shot on your team?

• Yes
    • No

On 3/24/2018 at 6:38 PM, Shady Slim said:

i'd do it, obviously pittsburgh don't need him but i'd do it

if i were bill belichick i'd take a good hard look 

Steelers need an upgrade at backup, and thats all Manziel will ever be in the NFL....maybe a Ryan Fitzpatrick-esque stop-gap QB, at best.

As a Steeler fan, I would give him a chance to compete vs Landry Jones.

If we're going only on skill, sure. He's backup worthy in the league if Christian Hackenburg is employed at all. 

I'd take a hard pass though. He's gotten his act together because he's a nobody at this point. I don't trust him to not get back to his antics with some spare change in his pocket. If he played and played well enough to be a starter, gain some attention, get his ego stroked a bit....how long before he's back off to rehab?

We've all seen it before. We've heard many NFL guys get in trouble, cry for the camera, and sneak off to the back room. 

I'll be the first to admit to being much harsher on guys like Manziel though. At 23, 24, 25, I was expected to act like a professional and an adult. I wasn't given the kind of leeway he received in the form of "he's young" or "kids will be kids". So for folks that are more lenient minded, and I'm sure there are plenty in the league, he may be worth a shot. I certainly can't claim to know for sure that he's just going to screw up again. But personally, I wouldn't, because there's always someone else coming up that isn't that kind of risk. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I want an old vet as the backup. Someone reliable and that can manage the team in case of an emergency. Manziel is the polar opposite of that. I'd be utterly shocked if he took another snap in th

Mate...you okay?

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Steelers need an upgrade at backup, and thats all Manziel will ever be in the NFL....maybe a Ryan Fitzpatrick-esque stop-gap QB, at best.

As a Steeler fan, I would give him a chance to compete vs Landry Jones.

If there are two quarterbacks that you would want to put in more completely different systems and situations within a "competition"...i can't imagine who it'd be.  xD

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

If there are two quarterbacks that you would want to put in more completely different systems and situations within a "competition"...i can't imagine who it'd be.  xD

Not really sure what you mean.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not really sure what you mean.

I mean that Landry Jones and Johnny Manziel are about as polar opposite as you're going to find in a backup QB.  Trying to have a "competition" between them...is an amusing concept.  But also effectively means that unless you're cool tailoring two completely different offenses around a pair of potential backups...one or the other of them will naturally be so far out of their element that you may as well declare the other guy winner by default.

For the Chiefs, absolutely not. Really wouldn't see the point. He's not the kind of guy you really want as a backup QB, especially to a young starter, but we sure as heck aren't going to invest the time/resources in seeing if he can still be a starter with Mahomes being groomed.

There's a few teams I could see having a case. Maybe a team like the Chargers, Saints, or Pats, where they have a very established starter, they're kind of screwed if the starter gets hurt long term regardless, but they'll need a new starter in a few years, so why not take a flier on him, see what he's got through TC and preseason.

But for a team just looking for a backup, nothing about Manziel fits the usual profile of what teams want in a backup QB. Maybe he'd be fine if your team keeps 3 QBs, I suppose. But then it would depend on the compensation.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean that Landry Jones and Johnny Manziel are about as polar opposite as you're going to find in a backup QB.  Trying to have a "competition" between them...is an amusing concept.  But also effectively means that unless you're cool tailoring two completely different offenses around a pair of potential backups...one or the other of them will naturally be so far out of their element that you may as well declare the other guy winner by default.

Since when do teams tailor their offenses to backup QBs?   That literally never happens.

Alot of teams draft QBs that dont necessarily fit their current system.    Jacoby Brissett didnt fit the Pats offense at all, but the Pats drafted him....then he was traded to another team whose offense he didnt fit, and he was decent.

When you have a franchise QB, you build the offense around them.    The backups you bring in, you bring them in based on primarily their talent and try to tailor THEM to the offense, not the other way around.

Bottom line....neither Jones or Manziel are good, and neither are ever likely to be more than backups.     The notion of bringing Manziel in to compete with Jones isnt as comical as you make it out to be.     If Ben went down, neither would be asked to run the entire offense anyway....no backups are.   They would be asked to hand the ball off alot, complete mainly short passes and not make critical mistakes.....things all backup QBs SHOULD be able to do, regardless of what TYPE of QB they are.     

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Since when do teams tailor their offenses to backup QBs?   That literally never happens.

Alot of teams draft QBs that dont necessarily fit their current system.    Jacoby Brissett didnt fit the Pats offense at all, but the Pats drafted him....then he was traded to another team whose offense he didnt fit, and he was decent.

When you have a franchise QB, you build the offense around them.    The backups you bring in, you bring them in based on primarily their talent and try to tailor THEM to the offense, not the other way around.

Bottom line....neither Jones or Manziel are good, and neither are ever likely to be more than backups.     The notion of bringing Manziel in to compete with Jones isnt as comical as you make it out to be.     If Ben went down, neither would be asked to run the entire offense anyway....no backups are.   They would be asked to hand the ball off alot, complete mainly short passes and not make critical mistakes.....things all backup QBs SHOULD be able to do, regardless of what TYPE of QB they are.     

Well, I disagree on a couple of points.

1) Nobody knows whether Manziel is good or not, he was so screwed up the last time he played and so uncommitted to his profession, that we never saw what he is capable of, so judging his talent off his Cleveland experience is just a waste of time. BB and NE know this and so do any of the organizations that worked him out. They are all wondering just who he is now???

The only real question about Manziel, is whether you buy in to the possible fact that he has changed his spots or not???? 

IMO, he has talent, a solid arm and escapability when he puts his mind to his profession, but I am not sure yet, that he has completely changed his spots, but it is the BB of his world that will have to decide this, not me!!

2) Manziel is basically a roll out QB and that would seem to me to be perfect as Ben's backup as Pittsburgh OL is quite used to Ben rolling out! As for backup QB's, last I looked, Foles was asked to do a lot more than just "hand the ball off a lot, complete mainly short passes and not make crucial mistakes". I do agree that there are not many backup QB's capable of doing what a Foles or a Garp were capable of, most have a lot weaker arms than NFL starters and are only good for a game or 2, before NFL defenses catch up to hem, but generalities sometimes is just going too far.

2 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Well, I disagree on a couple of points.

1) Nobody knows whether Manziel is good or not, he was so screwed up the last time he played and so uncommitted to his profession, that we never saw what he is capable of, so judging his talent off his Cleveland experience is just a waste of time. BB and NE know this and so do any of the organizations that worked him out. They are all wondering just who he is now???

The only real question about Manziel, is whether you buy in to the possible fact that he has changed his spots or not???? 

IMO, he has talent, a solid arm and escapability when he puts his mind to his profession, but I am not sure yet, that he has completely changed his spots, but it is the BB of his world that will have to decide this, not me!!

2) Manziel is basically a roll out QB and that would seem to me to be perfect as Ben's backup as Pittsburgh OL is quite used to Ben rolling out! As for backup QB's, last I looked, Foles was asked to do a lot more than just "hand the ball off a lot, complete mainly short passes and not make crucial mistakes". I do agree that there are not many backup QB's capable of doing what a Foles or a Garp were capable of, most have a lot weaker arms than NFL starters and are only good for a game or 2, before NFL defenses catch up to hem, but generalities sometimes is just going too far.

Not sure what youre disagreeing with, really.

I never said Manziel was good.   I just said Id give him a chance to compete vs Landry because Landry isnt good, either.

And I also never said he wouldnt fit here.   The other guy insinuated that he wouldnt.   I said that offenses are never tailored around backup QBs, and that when backup QBs come into a game, they are usually asked to run a very vanilla offense and limit their mistakes.

Bottom line....Id give Manziel a chance here.   Would he beat out LJ?   I dont know, but Id give him the chance too.     In reality, the Steelers wont do it, because they seem oddly committed to Landry as a backup, and they will give Dobbs at least another year.

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

For the Chiefs, absolutely not. Really wouldn't see the point. He's not the kind of guy you really want as a backup QB, especially to a young starter, but we sure as heck aren't going to invest the time/resources in seeing if he can still be a starter with Mahomes being groomed.

There's a few teams I could see having a case. Maybe a team like the Chargers, Saints, or Pats, where they have a very established starter, they're kind of screwed if the starter gets hurt long term regardless, but they'll need a new starter in a few years, so why not take a flier on him, see what he's got through TC and preseason.

But for a team just looking for a backup, nothing about Manziel fits the usual profile of what teams want in a backup QB. Maybe he'd be fine if your team keeps 3 QBs, I suppose. But then it would depend on the compensation.

He is the exact kind of backup teams used to look for. Spark plug type player who is mobile and pretty accurate. Now it's more a prototypical QB who is either being groomed or justnot good to enough to start. 

Johnny's off of the field stuff is the downside, you'd want someone you could depend on.

Archived