Would you give Johnny Manziel another shot?

brownie man

Would you give Johnny Manziel Another shot?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU give him a shot on your team?

• Yes
    • No

Yes......yes......YESSSSSSS!!!!

Simple and OBVIOUS answer to this, that I as a fan of the Giants, am happy to point out:

Bring Johnny Manziel to NEW YORK, and team him up with Odell Beckham!!!!

(Both on the field, and off!)

Image result for Johnny Manziel and Odell Beckham Image result for Frank Sinatra New York New York

The signing would be heralded with the background music of an ancient Frank Sinatra, under the delusion that he can still sing, growling out "New York, New York" in his cracked voice:

Theeeeeeeeeese, little-town, Blues; arrrre melting away!

New York would truly be "the city that never sleeps" with Johnny Manziel and Odell Beckham running a never-ending par-TAY the whole season long. Batman and Robin take over Gotham! One perpetual orgy, from Manhattan to Long Island!

-Of course, the Giants might well go 3-13 again, but my god, think of the FUN!!!!

Best 2 teams honestly for Johnny would be  

Jacksonville-hes right now better than Blake Bortles if he can get his head right he can beat him. Jacksonville has enough to do but not too many options. Coughlin great organizational leader 

Saints- Offense ready made for him can backup a stud for a year or two plays inside with a player friendly coach

I'm telling you guys Johnny is better than you think he is. I've seen him play against pros go back to the Kansas City game 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubijVfsblPU

On 3/31/2018 at 7:43 PM, wwhickok said:

No.  It has nothing to do with this off-field crap.  It's because I just don't think he's a very good player.  

Based on what, the way he played when he put zero effort into learning his profession and was a wild party boy. That hardly tells you anything about what he might produce if he actually put in the time necessary to be a franchise QB and had his head screwed on properly. Nobody knows who Manziel is, because he has made no effort to ever take his job seriously, everybody just hates him for who he was!

Who he is now, I have no idea, has he actually changed or just putting on an act, I do not know, but he definitely has talent if he ever really wants to work at his profession, so we will just have to wait and see if he has really changed his spots??? Maybe, he will go up to the Canadian Football League and prove himself there first, before a team will give him a shot, unless he can convince a GM/HC now, that he has really changed.

Like I said before, BB, Lewis and Zimmer have track records of resurrecting careers of troubled youth and just maybe they will see something in him, to convince themselves that he has indeed made the effort to change his spots and will give him a try. Time will tell!!! 

30 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Based on what, the way he played when he put zero effort into learning his profession and was a wild party boy. That hardly tells you anything about what he might produce if he actually put in the time necessary to be a franchise QB and had his head screwed on properly. Nobody knows who Manziel is, because he has made no effort to ever take his job seriously, everybody just hates him for who he was!

Who he is now, I have no idea, has he actually changed or just putting on an act, I do not know, but he definitely has talent if he ever really wants to work at his profession, so we will just have to wait and see if he has really changed his spots??? Maybe, he will go up to the Canadian Football League and prove himself there first, before a team will give him a shot, unless he can convince a GM/HC now, that he has really changed.

Like I said before, BB, Lewis and Zimmer have track records of resurrecting careers of troubled youth and just maybe they will see something in him, to convince themselves that he has indeed made the effort to change his spots and will give him a try. Time will tell!!! 

His comment was based on facts. Even if his immature mindset played a part in his failure, the fact is you can't just ignore what he has shown on the field in the past. That doesn't mean he can't improve, but no one should be treating him like he is a daisy-fresh rookie coming into the league with a clean slate. I thought he was largely a product of the system he was in in college, and he didn't show much as an NFL quarterback... Regardless of what the reasons might have been.

Like I said, I would give him a chance, but very few quarterbacks succeed in the NFL, and Manziel hasn't shown the ability to play at this level, and you can't just assume that was only because he was immature. His game has a lot of shortcomings, and he'll be lucky to even become a decent backup.

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

His comment was based on facts. Even if his immature mindset played a part in his failure, the fact is you can't just ignore what he has shown on the field in the past. That doesn't mean he can't improve, but no one should be treating him like he is a daisy-fresh rookie coming into the league with a clean slate. I thought he was largely a product of the system he was in in college, and he didn't show much as an NFL quarterback... Regardless of what the reasons might have been.

Like I said, I would give him a chance, but very few quarterbacks succeed in the NFL, and Manziel hasn't shown the ability to play at this level, and you can't just assume that was only because he was immature. His game has a lot of shortcomings, and he'll be lucky to even become a decent backup.

Obviously, QB is a very difficult position to play in the NFL. the great ones spend hours in the film room learning their trade and even these struggle at times. Manziel did none of this. He just went out and played, never put in a moment of study, never stopped partying, it was all a big joke to him and you wonder why he looked terrible playing in a game???

I am not assuming anything, I said, I do not know if he has really changed his spots or is just trying to fool us into thinking he now will put in the effort to actually learn his trade. All I know for certain, is that he made no effort in the past to do it and it showed in his play on the field, but that does not mean if he actually put in the time and effort to learn his trade, he would not be good at it, nobody knows if he can be good or not, all we know is that he stunk when he didn't put in any effort, as would every franchise QB currently in the NFL. You either do the work or you will look ridiculous playing the game, now we have to find out if he is really doing the work, till then we know absolutely nothing about his potential except that he was a 1st round pick based on what scouts saw of him in college and the post season.

You may have thought he was largely a product of his college system, but that does not make it true. Truth is when you actually make the effort and put in the time to learn your trade and still fail, then we know you stunk either way, but we do not know that yet!!!

14 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Obviously, QB is a very difficult position to play in the NFL. the great ones spend hours in the film room learning their trade and even these struggle at times. Manziel did none of this. He just went out and played, never put in a moment of study, never stopped partying, it was all a big joke to him and you wonder why he looked terrible playing in a game???

I am not assuming anything, I said, I do not know if he has really changed his spots or is just trying to fool us into thinking he now will put in the effort to actually learn his trade. All I know for certain, is that he made no effort in the past to do it and it showed in his play on the field, but that does not mean if he actually put in the time and effort to learn his trade, he would not be good at it, nobody knows if he can be good or not, all we know is that he stunk when he didn't put in any effort, as would every franchise QB currently in the NFL. You either do the work or you will look ridiculous playing the game, now we have to find out if he is really doing the work, till then we know absolutely nothing about his potential except that he was a 1st round pick based on what scouts saw of him in college and the post season.

You may have thought he was largely a product of his college system, but that does not make it true. Truth is when you actually make the effort and put in the time to learn your trade and still fail, then we know you stunk either way, but we do not know that yet!!!

The thing is, you are even admitting you don't know anything about him that he hasn't already shown us.  He showed up that it's very likely he is a system QB, product of College offenses.  He has shown us his lack of accuracy, lack of maturity, lack of focus, lack of talent.  We may not know for a fact that he will fail if he applies himself, but the evidence supports it, at least on a reasonable level.

I wouldn't want him on my team because he has not to this point proved to be worth the roster spot.

In Chicago our number 2 QB is has started 2 games and thrown under 500 passes over 8 years. I would have to give him a small deal, and do so with no guarantee of playing time, but if he could convince me he had his head on straight I would give him a shot.

Unlike with Cutler, we aren't going to hear teams clamoring for Manziel over Trubisky like we hard about McCown, Hanie, Hoyer over Jay.

• 3 months later...

The simple answer is the old scout adage: "Does the talent outweigh the red mark?  If so, you give them a shot."  Thing is, I never saw Manziel as anything special, so I don't see the talent that makes me stand up and be willing to take the risk on the red marks on his record.  I could, maybe, see a team with a strong organizational culture, a no-nonsense HC, and an entrenched vet starter at QB who is aging kick the tires on him after he does this season in the CFL, but even that's iffy.  Maybe a Chargers (not sure they quite check the box entirely on strong organization culture yet) or Saints.  But I don't think anyone is going to be looking at him as a backup because he's never really had great backup QB traits (i.e. the regular duties of a QB2: strong communications skills, ability to read defenses from the sideline and identify tendencies in real-time in relation to what was seen on tape during prep, etc.); if a team brings him in it's kicking the tires to see if he's got the ability to be a viable starter in a year or two, if not immediately.  And that's going to require such a perfect situation where so many criteria all get ticked off that I just don't see it happening, to be honest.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:50 PM, Ketchup said:

Give me Kaep before I look at Johnny Football. But if dude is working hard and showing he has gotten past his issues, someone will give him a go. Wasn’t he listed as a QB in that new league? 

Yes

Archived