Would you give Johnny Manziel another shot?

brownie man

Would you give Johnny Manziel Another shot?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU give him a shot on your team?

• Yes
    • No

A few GM's will sit down with him and see where his life is at? If in their opinion, they see a new, stronger Manziel, I think he could get a workout. There are not too many good backup QB's in the NFL with starting potential and nobody knows whether he has talent or not as his head was not screwed on properly, the last time he tried. NE and Cincy have rehabbed players nobody else wanted in the past, with pretty good results, but in the end Manziel will have to convince a GM or HC that he is sincere and I have no way of knowing if that is possible?

IMO, he is talented, but so far he has wasted it on a life style that can never be successful in the NFL without major changes on his part. Maybe he has grown up, time will tell!  

Why not? What's the worse that can happen? Be cut during camp like 1,500+ other players? Make the PS? Make the 53 man roster? God forbid ball out and Start?

Most of you are hating on him because of his previous lifestyle or past and treating this as though people can't change? 

It's funny how the HOF  can be littered and I mean littered with Alcoholics and Drug Addicts but since they didn't live in the Social Media of today's NFL, it's forgiven, pushed under the rug, ignored. Players whose careers would of never lasted in this era.

Acting as though Manziel has Zero skillset , has no ability to possibly play at this level is a joke. "IF" he truly does have his life on the right track with rehab and Meds, there's no reason he shouldn't at the very least get a Camp invite by a club. Anything past that invite should be considered gravy/potential upside.

Yep, 2 year contract league minimum salary with incentives if he makes the roster/stays out of trouble. 

In a league where Blaine Gabbert can earn a backup job, why not take a shot on him? If he sucks oh well who cares.

He'd have to go somewhere with the league's worst QB situation though since only desperate teams would sign him because PR reasons. I'd say the Bills given they have the league's worst QB situation (for now anyway) but doesn't seem like he'd be a fit for their locker room. 

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He has only been sober for 3 months as of right now.  If I were a GM I would say "prove it to me that you are serious.  If you can stay sober and out of trouble until a year from now, we'll talk."

Imagine if Clubs would of done the same with WR Brandon Marshall after Denver where his career/life would of ended up?

The missing part of the equation here is everyone seems to be ignoring his diagnosis of being Bi-polar? Which greatly effected his drinking, actions and overall attitude towards life. 

Why should he have to wait a year? Why can't he sign, be in house through OTA's, Mini, Camp and the Preseason? If at any point he shows signs of regression, Cut him. If you can visually see the work ethic and change of approach, advance to the next Rd of cuts.

This idea he has to prove it is absurd given the numerous amounts of ragging Alcoholics in the NFL currently. Only difference between them and Manziel is the spotlight isn't on them so nobody knows Or better yet cares because they might be the 53rd man on the roster ,a Pro Bowler, SB Champ, Future HOF?

He's a Camp Body until proven otherwise. No different IMO then the 400+ chances Josh Gordan has been given. He slips, See Ya! He succeed's Gravy! Really isn't a lose lose scenario here. He's not being asked to be the face of the Franchise the minute he signs. There is no downside other then a minimum amount of money.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, Thomas5737 said:

He threw like 20% of his college passes to Evans for like 27% of his college yards. Even if everyone one of them were a jump ball (like say, you only watched a few Evans college clips to determine this) the vast majority of Manziel's college game was still without Evans. He was slightly more athletic than the average college QB? Then wouldn't half the league average 1200 rushing yards and 15 rushing TD per season? He has elite quickness for a QB.

Still, I'd have to believe he had his life in order to take him seriously. He does have at least an average NFL arm and probably better than average accuracy so he should be a better than average QB not taking in the variables. He would still have to prove he can be that. I certainly think he could if we're just talking about on the field.

I'd add to this, I'd want him only in specific situations where he'd flatly be auditioning to be given a shot (at starting at some point).  Put him on a team that has a no-nonsense coach and an aging-but-established veteran QB where he's realistically looking at 1-2 years of backup duty before (barring injury opening the door) being given the reins.  This is a guy (Manziel) who it's fairly clear has never had a proper mentor (I don't doubt he may never have wanted one in the past, but he may see the value in one now).  Let's not pretend like owners won't see the fact that if Johnny actually does come good, he's marketable as hell - especially as a redeemed type.

22 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Imagine if Clubs would of done the same with WR Brandon Marshall after Denver where his career/life would of ended up?

The missing part of the equation here is everyone seems to be ignoring his diagnosis of being Bi-polar? Which greatly effected his drinking, actions and overall attitude towards life. 

Why should he have to wait a year? Why can't he sign, be in house through OTA's, Mini, Camp and the Preseason? If at any point he shows signs of regression, Cut him. If you can visually see the work ethic and change of approach, advance to the next Rd of cuts.

This idea he has to prove it is absurd given the numerous amounts of ragging Alcoholics in the NFL currently. Only difference between them and Manziel is the spotlight isn't on them so nobody knows Or better yet cares because they might be the 53rd man on the roster ,a Pro Bowler, SB Champ, Future HOF?

He's a Camp Body until proven otherwise. No different IMO then the 400+ chances Josh Gordan has been given. He slips, See Ya! He succeed's Gravy! Really isn't a lose lose scenario here. He's not being asked to be the face of the Franchise the minute he signs. There is no downside other then a minimum amount of money.

It's true that there are quite a few other alcoholics in the NFL.  I can see what you mean if you compare Manziel to them.  Personally, I would have no problem handing out one year suspensions to knuckleheads who are unwilling or incapable of following the rules.  The thing to remember is that it is a privilege to play in the NFL.  Even at league minimum they would be paying him what, half a million a year or more?  I see no problem with making him work for an opportunity like that.  If he has to work for it this time, maybe he will appreciate it a little more.

Archived