Would you give Johnny Manziel another shot?

brownie man

Would you give Johnny Manziel Another shot?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU give him a shot on your team?

• Yes
    • No

On 3/24/2018 at 5:38 PM, Shady Slim said:

i'd do it, obviously pittsburgh don't need him but i'd do it

if i were bill belichick i'd take a good hard look 

Honestly,  I think that is a good idea. I'm not a Patriots fan, but bringing in Manziel to see how what you think of him is a low cost way to potentially find an heir to Brady.

8 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Maybe if we had no other choice. But would I give him a shot over Kirk Cousins? No way.

You're comparing polar opposites though?? No one is asking him to be their FQB, No one! So if brought into the Vikings let's say, it would have no bearing on Cousins moving forward whatsoever.

Now what happens if Johnny makes the 53 man roster and Cousins was to get injured? You'd Have to cross that bridge if it even got that far.

When players can become career backups, legit #3 QB's on the depth chart for a decade plus, surely Manziel could fit that bill if not exceed even those lofty expectations?

Once again, if he's truly turned over a new leaf you won't know that for certain until he's in the facility and around that Staff on a full time basis.

Considering the investment required, min contract and a roster spot, and the potential upside, potential starting QB, I would give him a chance on the Saints as the back-up to Brees, see if he can keep his act together and be a professional, first sign of slipping just cut him and move on.  Investing any more than that, or him refusing to sign for that, he's not worth it.

My CFL team, sure.

My NFL team?  Nope.  He's just not that good, and he's been away from the game for a significant length of time on top of that.  Apparently the worst of the off-field stuff is behind him, but there's no guarantees on that either.  The upside to giving him a shot is just far too low to justify the sideshow it would inevitably come with.  3rd string depth players aren't worth any kind of hassles...and that's essentially what he'd be.  A 25-26 year old 3rd string QB reclamation project that you're going to have to spend a bunch of time and effort on, and isn't going to contribute anything of substance as a clipboard holder, QB coach helper, zero maintenance, no distraction "good locker room guy".  Pass.

If he shows in this "Spring League" thing that he's maybe actually started to grasp the concept of playing as a pocket passer, within some semblance of a system...maybe i start to think about it if i'm a team that's seriously QB desperate.  But even then...i'd probably still pass.

I have said all along, that NE, Cincy or Minny were likely destinations for Manziel. Their HC's have a track record for resurrecting careers of troubled youth, so I am not at all surprised that BB will give him a look, to see if he has indeed changed his spots. If he has, he could be one of the better backup QB's in the league. If he hasn't, BB will cut him ASAP!!!

I could see him as a backup QB somewhere... but even then how much of a distraction would he be to the team? He would have to change his attitude a lot and put himself in a situation with limited distractions off the field. Sounds like a mountain too high to climb for him.

1 hour ago, RaisinBran said:

I could see him as a backup QB somewhere... but even then how much of a distraction would he be to the team? He would have to change his attitude a lot and put himself in a situation with limited distractions off the field. Sounds like a mountain too high to climb for him.

Behind an established franchise QB, is he really that much of a distraction?  I mean, sure, you may catch a question per presser in the preseason about how Johnny's doing, but if, say, he were sitting behind Philip Rivers, no competent reporter is going to ask when Johnny is going to get his shot unless Rivers is in the midst of a massive slump or battling an injury.  I don't really view his situation to be too different from Vick's when Vick got out of prison - he would benefit from an environment/team with a lot of the same things that ended up benefiting Vick.

can always cut him

I wonder what sort of distractions he could get-up-to as an idle hands clipboard carrying backup

aww well... better to get them early(and cheap) and not mid-season when the injuries come rolling in

3 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

I wonder what sort of distractions he could get-up-to as an idle hands clipboard carrying backup

This is who he was in Cleveland, though. He didn't start, he only got in due to injuries.

Archived