WR Allen Hurns To Sign With Dallas Cowboys

canadaluvsdallas

14 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I like Hurns as a character guy and good teammate.   But if you were looking for a difference maker be careful what you wish for.  Injuries in the lower body have really taken away his deep speed and separating ability, and he’s not great at ball fighting - which is what I think was the WR need in DAL.   Then add in 3 concussions in his pro career he really is living more off name value from his Bortles - garbage time stat padding years.   

He’s a tough guy who will make the catches over the middle.  I’ll give him that.  

37 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

No word on the guaranteed money - if it's a lot, man, that's not a value deal.

$6 mil over two years?  A scrub like Ryan Grant got $5 mil.  I think that's a pretty reasonable deal for Dallas.

50 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dez released to be honest...or is that impossible? I'm not sure of the cap implications, but Dez is making a LOT of money to be a mediocre at best #1 receiver these days.

Ever since that 4th down catch/drop in the playoffs against the Packers it seems like he's become the most overrated "star" receiver in the league.

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

$6 mil over two years?  A scrub like Ryan Grant got $5 mil.  I think that's a pretty reasonable deal for Dallas.

First, Ryan Grant's deal is meh (that BAL deal was ridiculous lol).   But Hurns isn't any better than Ryan Grant in his current form.     Take away the name value, and look at the production - all of his perceived value was from 2015, when Bortles & the Jags put up ridiculous #'s always being behind - 3400+ of their 4300 yds trailing & 29/35 TD's, 23 of the 35 TD's that year in the 2H.    2015 was incredible in its context.    Take away 2015, and look at his 2 years, 2016-7, and you see a guy who doesn't even get 500 yds receiving.    2015's #'s look shiny, but man, a deeper look just showed reasons for severe regression - and regress he did.

Now he's going to a DAL team that will be centered around an elite RB and a great OL, and there's at least 1 WR ahead of him.   And he's going to a roster with guys who literally profile the same way as he does.  Could he be better than them?  Sure, but he also barely stands out over them.   Add it up, and man, not seeing the value.

And that's before you get to the injuries - 3 concussions in his 4-year career, and 11 games missed the last 2 years, and most of them were lower-body injury related.

I really like the guy character-wise, and he'll get you tough catches over the middle.  But he's not even a 2nd WR on a good team anymore.   The injuries really have robbed him of any special traits.    Arguing that Grant's deal makes this a good value isn't the conclusion - they're in all likelihood bad deals.  What makes this worse for DAL is they are looking for a lid-lifter, or a guy who can win 50-50 balls, or separate inside - those are what the current DAL WR's lack with Dez's gradual skills decline.  Hurns doesn't really address any of those needs.   Which then adds to the lost value, since he's their big investment.  

Archived