2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

If the Raiders trade with AZ or the Ravens they better get their second round pick just getting a 3 and 5 would be a let down and honestly wouldn’t even do it since the talent you will be passing on at 10. 

I'd be fine with it if we can still get Guice. 

Final mock

Round 1 Pick 10: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Round 2 Pick 41: Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
Round 3 Pick 75: Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama
Round 4 Pick 110: Deon Cain, WR, Clemson
Round 5 Pick 159: Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama
Round 5 Pick 173: Marquis Haynes, DE, Mississippi
Round 6 Pick 185: Grant Haley, CB, Penn State
Round 6 Pick 212: Johnny Townsend, P, Florida
Round 6 Pick 216: James Looney, DT, California
Round 6 Pick 217: Godwin Igwebuike, S, Northwestern
Round 7 Pick 228: Matthew Thomas, LB, FSU

The 2 players I am really warming up to at 10 are Edmunds and Ward.  If we come away with either at 10 I will be happy and both players will help the team tremendously.   

Our focus in round 2 has to be DT, OT or CB is we dont take Ward in 1st.  

I'm starting to get the vibe that in order to mess up this pick we're going to have to do something really stupid. Honestly if you gave my any of the defenders who could be available when we pick (Fitzpatrick, Vea, James, Ward, Smith, Edmunds or Hurst) then I'll be varying degrees of happy. A decent bit of them are guaranteed to be there simply due to math after Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, and the QB run. And any of them would improve our defense.  Some more than others in terms of position or pro readiness but still, that's somewhere between like 2 and 5 impact defenders available for us.

I know the Kolton Miller thing should be taken with a grain of salt but I can't lie, the fear of another Left Field pick is in the back of my mind,

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I'm starting to get the vibe that in order to mess up this pick we're going to have to do something really stupid. Honestly if you gave my any of the defenders who could be available when we pick (Fitzpatrick, Vea, James, Ward, Smith, Edmunds or Hurst) then I'll be varying degrees of happy. A decent bit of them are guaranteed to be there simply due to math after Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, and the QB run. And any of them would improve our defense.  Some more than others in terms of position or pro readiness but still, that's somewhere between like 2 and 5 impact defenders available for us.

I know the Kolton Miller thing should be taken with a grain of salt but I can't lie, the fear of another Left Field pick is in the back of my mind,

This is exactly how I feel. Reason should be reassuring enough to rid me of the fear of a WTF pick, but I just can't shake it off! The Miller rumour, a few Mcglinchey mentions have made me pretty anxious. I just hope that Gruden and Reggie can be the others check and balance and it helps to curb any crazy impulses.

7 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Agree. OT would be the left field pick that would be completely stupid and desperate.

I could live with - Edmunds, Hurst, but there is higher risk with them.

Smith, Ward, Vea, James, Fitzpatrick - These guys are all studs and instantly impact the defense.

Dark horses, I see two - Davenport and Landry. That would be a left field pick I understand, but risky.

At 10.

Want: Ward, Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick.

Don't want: Vea, James.

Vea is good in his role but that's not something i'd spend a top 10 pick on. I don't see what's so great about James to make him a top 10 prospect. His athleticism? His hard hitting style?

Also, i'm a huge fan of Hurst but we can't pick him that high with the medical concerns. Looks like his stock has dropped quite a bit and he could fall out of the 1st round. If he's still available after day 1, trading up to the top of round 2 to get him could be interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-heres-why-these-27-prospects-are-locks-to-be-taken-in-the-first-round/

So after reporting that Miller would be a top target in a trade down, he doesn't even list him as a possible 1st round pick. I guess he doesn't trust the "source" he got his info from. Or Miller is a target in the 2nd round. Or he can't even build a credible story...

10 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

At 10.

Want: Ward, Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick.

Don't want: Vea, James.

Vea is good in his role but that's not something i'd spend a top 10 pick on. I don't see what's so great about James to make him a top 10 prospect. His athleticism? His hard hitting style?

Also, i'm a huge fan of Hurst but we can't pick him that high with the medical concerns. Looks like his stock has dropped quite a bit and he could fall out of the 1st round. If he's still available after day 1, trading up to the top of round 2 to get him could be interesting.

I’m not totally sold on Smith, with Whitehead being brought in we really need a MLB and I don’t see Smith playing there. Worleys signing again shows that we seem prefer the bigger CBs which would rule out Ward (admittedly Worley could be a smokescreen).

Vea doesn’t look to be a 3 down player which is what you would want from a top 10 pick.I think Hurst is the best scheme fit player to play the attacking 1 gap system Gruden has mentioned. However he seems to be dropping and could be picked up later in the draft.

Want - Hurst (in a trade down), 

Safe pick- Smith

Archived