2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Man oh man would I love to land Minkah Fitzpatrick

Me too. I think both he and Smith would be the most exciting players to land. I'd love Vea, Ward or James but Fitz and Smith have such playmaking potential.

6 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Man oh man would I love to land Minkah Fitzpatrick

It almost feels like Fitzpatrick has become undervalued lately. He's not a flashy player, so people are seemingly forgetting how talented he is. His impact on a defense is going to be felt immediately. He's a born leader on the field to and will be among the hardest working players on your team. He's the total package. 

45 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

This is a fail since no OT was selected

I reject the notion the Raiders need to force drafting a tackle (though looking like they will).

IMO, the value at OT is starting in round 4. Rounds 1-3 are rich in defensive and skill position talent. Unless the team can trade back and add more picks in these rounds, OT is going be a reach for me.

Earliest for me is round 3 on an OT unless they trade back and add another pick somewhere in rounds 2-3. 

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

IMO, the value at OT is starting in round 4. Rounds 1-3 are rich in defensive and skill position talent. Unless the team can trade back and add more picks in these rounds, OT is going be a reach for me.

I disagree with the bolded. The 3rd round is rife with potential starter and future starter level talent at tackle and receiver: those are the deepest positions in round 3 by my estimation. There might be valuable players on defense in round 3, but there isn't a ton of positional value depth to plan the draft around.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I reject the notion the Raiders need to force drafting a tackle (though looking like they will).

Earliest for me is round 3 on an OT unless they trade back and add another pick somewhere in rounds 2-3. 

I would jump on Brown in 3 or 4. Combine was really bad but play was good.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I understand and love the 1st 2 picks. However, I just can't buy it that the rest of the picks are better value than an OT at that point.

24 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree with the bolded. The 3rd round is rife with potential starter and future starter level talent at tackle and receiver: those are the deepest positions in round 3 by my estimation. There might be valuable players on defense in round 3, but there isn't a ton of positional value depth to plan the draft around.

And that's fine. OT in round 3, I could live with and understand it. Round 1 and 2 with out adding picks in a trade, not enough value for me.

I want to see best defensive player available at10. Round 2 RB or Miller (WR). Round 3 RB or OT. 

57 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I understand and love the 1st 2 picks. However, I just can't buy it that the rest of the picks are better value than an OT at that point.

I don't expect many OTs from this class being starters in 4 years so i can easily buy getting better value elsewhere in any round. In this mock, we get Pettis in the 3rd and i'd easily draft him over any OT projected to go in that round. Worst case scenario, he's a playmaking punt returner. But with his route running ability in Gruden's offense, he becomes our 3rd WR sooner than later. I don't think any OT we'd draft past the 2nd round would be more likely to succeed than Sharpe so why not try to develop what we already have?

I could see a lot of different ways we could go. MLB and DT have a glaring hole. CB and S only have one guy each(if Conley is something). OT is a need but not as much of an immediate impact. 

So if we stay at 10 I would have to assume MLB, CB or S based on value and need. They both just happen to line up this year.  Hurst screams Makenzie 2nd rounder but don't think he will last that long. Although every time I say that they do and we pass them up, lol. 

3 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

I would jump on Brown in 3 or 4. Combine was really bad but play was good.

I would give serious consideration to Brown in rd 3 and would be all over him in rd 4. So long as there isn't a genuine character issue, I think he could be a good starting RT for us. The combine was shocking, but the day before he was the top tackle for many and pretty much a guaranteed 1st rounder. Apart from him or someone else dropping, I do agree with Oak in that why waste a mid rounder at all in a weak class of tackles when we have a mid rounder from last year plus 3 other young tackles to develop? 

Archived