Patriots trade WR Brandon Cooks to Rams

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, bzane said:

What's a little odd about this is that the Rams' Forum, and the Eagles' Forum, have some of the best and most-knowledgable posters on the entire site. Guys I read regularly so that I can learn about football. Which I do, from their posts. Some of you I believe I've given kudos to in the past. Frankly, in my position, as a) a New York Giants fan, and b) an ignoramus, I'm envious. 

And also grateful.

Image result for Los angeles RamsImage result for Philadelphia Eagles

Thanks for the shout out 

WR was def a void that needed filling for LA.

Not saying this trade doesnt go (potentially) a long way in filling it. I say potentially because we dont know if he is going to stay. I really cant see him taking much less than Watkins money tbh. And can the Rams afford to pay him that in the grand scheme of things?

I mean for this year it could potentially be a great addition. Depending on how hes used of course. Which I would assume McVay will maximize his guys' potential, as most great offensive coaches like him do. 

But I feel like theres this general thought that LA is some downfield team....even though Goff threw 10+ yards downfield only 149 times all of 2017

9 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Not saying this trade doesnt go (potentially) a long way in filling it. I say potentially because we dont know if he is going to stay. I really cant see him taking much less than Watkins money tbh. And can the Rams afford to pay him that in the grand scheme of things?

I mean for this year it could potentially be a great addition. Depending on how hes used of course. Which I would assume McVay will maximize his guys' potential, as most great offensive coaches like him do. 

But I feel like theres this general thought that LA is some downfield team....even though Goff threw 10+ yards downfield only 149 times all of 2017

Watkins average depth of target was 14.4 yards on his 70 targets, 16th in the NFL.    He's clearly the guy they used to stretch the field (Kupp was 9.1, Woods 11, as a contrast).   

Cooks may not end up being worth whatever extension he gets from LAR, if there is one.  He may not be worth the 1.23 pick.   But he's clearly going to fit the role that Watkins provided - and frankly, it's hard not to argue that Cooks will do the other things better than Watkins.   

Not every move Snead will do is going to work out - it can be clearly argued that trading for Watkins was a miss.   But it's also pretty clear Cooks fits the role Watkins provided, and unlike Watkins, we know that Cooks can do the other short routes/YAC well, and stay healthy.    

For a guy who argued that they lost Watkins, and it wasn't clear how they were going to replace him, it's a pretty clear answer.   They still need to upgrade ILB and add more pass rush depth to have a complete D, but in terms of addressing Watkins' departure, it's impossible to conclude it hasn't been definitively addressed.

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Watkins average depth of target was 14.4 yards on his 70 targets, 16th in the NFL.    He's clearly the guy they used to stretch the field (Kupp was 9.1, Woods 11, as a contrast).   

Cooks may not end up being worth whatever extension he gets from LAR, if there is one.  He may not be worth the 1.23 pick.   But he's clearly going to fit the role that Watkins provided - and frankly, it's hard not to argue that Cooks will do the other things better than Watkins.   

Not every move Snead will do is going to work out - it can be clearly argued that trading for Watkins was a miss.   But it's also pretty clear Cooks fits the role Watkins provided, and unlike Watkins, we know that Cooks can do the other short routes/YAC well, and stay healthy.    

For a guy who argued that they lost Watkins, and it wasn't clear how they were going to replace him, it's a pretty clear answer.   They still need to upgrade ILB and add more pass rush depth to have a complete D, but in terms of addressing Watkins' departure, it's impossible to conclude it hasn't been definitively addressed.

I read that even though Sammy was our take off the top guy! Defenses were still playing a safety towards the box. To stop Kupp and Gurley.. 

But with Cook here that Safety will be forced to help over the top because cook is more of a deep threat. So that in sense makes sense..

The rams have a lot of question marks regarding these new pieces... But no one can deny that this team is way better.. This team is stacked top to bottom and in one game they can beat anyone.. Healthy.. That is the goal. 

This team is so fun and we really haven’t seen anything like this. This team is so complete on both ends it’s scary. You have WRs-Tes-And a RB who can gash you at any moment. 

Gerald Everett can fly my guys. And he’s a guy we haven’t even mentioned. This team is dynamic and with another year.. This offense can break some records if all goes as

planned! Because it’s God’s plan! 

*starts dancing. 

27 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Yeah, my whole opinion on the trade, at this point, hinges on whether he gets a long term contract before the season starts and what those numbers end up looking like.

For now, I absolutely despise the trade. Because, for now, with the terms being what they are and not what we hope they will be, it is a a terrible trade. 

I am holding out hope he takes a somewhat small hometown discount. He is a west coast guy. It's Los Angeles. Maybe he clicks with Goff and McVay and feels comfortable and is willing to demand slightly less to be where he wants to be and/or where he likes it.

That being said, Cooks has, literally, every bargaining chip. We already traded the pick away. And he knows we are all in based on that move. And he knows we will have massive egg on our face if we cant get a deal done and he walks after one season. Which is why I am really leery about this move. That and the fact that I just never trust WRs to transition well to other teams. 

But he and Goff share the same agent. So... who knows. Maybe some moves were made behind the scenes? I aint no tin hat type. It could be as simple as our staff hearing what the Cooks was asking from the Pats and decided they had no problem starting negotiations in that range? Or even paying what he was asking (I hope not).

4 hours ago, BAConrad said:

That's because you're relying on numbers rather than an understanding of the scheme.

20 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Ugh, all these posts are too long. Can I get the Cliff's Notes

You really want to be beaten with a rubber hose, don't you?  I realize some people are into that kind of kink, but it's Friday and for once I don't have papers or assignments to grade.  Don't press me when I have free time...

(Also, where the heck did my Smiling Devil/*evil* emoji from the old site go?  This is a travesty.)

25 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, where the heck did my Smiling Devil/*evil* emoji from the old site go?  This is a travesty.)

Just goes to show not everything is better when New and Shinny. I liked the old site.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

You really want to be beaten with a rubber hose, don't you?  I realize some people are into that kind of kink, but it's Friday and for once I don't have papers or assignments to grade.  Don't press me when I have free time...

(Also, where the heck did my Smiling Devil/*evil* emoji from the old site go?  This is a travesty.)

Here, I owe you one:

Image result for smiling devil emoji

14 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

It really does feel like this has happened across multiple threads in different parts of the forum.

I witnessed a lot of "x vs y" phantom debates on the old site. But this new "Rams vs Eagles" is already incredibly tiresome and irritating. My opinion on it is that both teams look good on paper right now. It's a new league year and let's see what happens.

22 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Apparently Eagles fans cant voice opinions on Rams players or coaches now without being labelled as "salty" (which is weird since we have literally nothing to be salty about given that we not only beat the Rams head to head in LA without Wentz for the final quarter and go on to win it all). 

Ive been a big supporter of a lot of some of their more criticized moves. IE I called the Woods signing a year ago brilliant....loved LaMarcus Joyner when they drafted him and I still do...Absolutely love the Peters trade. He has been one of my favorite non Eagles players since he was at Washington. But i guess its more fun to just what plays out

I wouldn' say "salty" or "insecure", I've just found it funny how some(not all) get puffy when the Rams have made headlines this off-season. And honestly I'm hoping that both of our Qb's continue to develop and get a "Brady and Manning esque rivalry going on. But for now, I still thinks it too early for either side to be claiming dominance or whatever over the other. TC hasn' even started yet. Hell, the draft hasn' even taken place. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/04/2018 at 2:25 AM, The LBC said:

If they move up, my bet is it's into the back 1/3 of the Top 15 for an OT, a highly versatile IOL (less a need currently, but guys like Wynn are Belichick bread-and-butter normally), a

Just reading this thread and thought I'd confirm your Lombardi Award. That's all. 

Archived