The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

On 7/28/2021 at 5:08 AM, SemperFeist said:

Cleveland is the starting LG, I’m leaving him there. 

Hill has been around long enough and showed enough in his spot duty that I’m not worried about him starting. 

Hill looks the part this year for sure. I'm personally fine with him starting the first few games. I was just saying down the road if Darrisaw didn't work out, do we have a starting quality LT on the roster we're not thinking about. I definitely don't want to move him this year.

Edited by HeydudemanG
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HeydudemanG said:

Rashod Hill looks like a beast. I don't know if I'd be super upset if we start him the first few games. the whole line looks a lot bigger which is a good sign even though its the position group that I think can really destroy our season.

I've always been a fan of his and was glad he re-signed with us. Really thought he'd seek a decent payday elsewhere. Perhaps he'll look for that next off-season. Helps to go against one of the best in Hunter day in day out.

• Like 1

This puts a little damper on the whole Udoh to guard bit. 

Sounds like they’re giving him as many reps as possible in the early, walk through, portion to see how well he acclimates to the spot. 

I think we’ll have to wait and see where he’s lining up once to the pads come on to get a true sense on how they feel about his ability to win the starting job. 

But, it certainly sounds like Rauscher was quick to put his stamp on things, and wasn’t afraid to make changes. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

Is it just me or does it bother anyone else a bit that I feel like I’m always hearing about Vikings OL trying out a new position along the line or so and so being moved to a new position? I’m not too sure if it happens around the league as much as it does here and I get position flexibility but gosh darn I feel like sometimes it dampers a players development always moving them around. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Is it just me or does it bother anyone else a bit that I feel like I’m always hearing about Vikings OL trying out a new position along the line or so and so being moved to a new position? I’m not too sure if it happens around the league as much as it does here and I get position flexibility but gosh darn I feel like sometimes it dampers a players development always moving them around. 

It happens all over the league. If you’re not a starter, you need to know multiple jobs. 

Davis is getting nearly, if not, all of the 2nd team reps at RG, he’s far from having his development stunted by taking a few snaps at C with the 3rd team. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It happens all over the league. If you’re not a starter, you need to know multiple jobs. 

Davis is getting nearly, if not, all of the 2nd team reps at RG, he’s far from having his development stunted by taking a few snaps at C with the 3rd team. 

Good to hear he is getting his reps in at RG. I have heard way to many rumors that he's only been working in with the 3rd team at center.

I am very hopeful that Davis/Udoh starts at RG week 1.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Good to hear he is getting his reps in at RG. I have heard way to many rumors that he's only been working in with the 3rd team at center.

I see it as opportunity to be one of the top 7 OL in game day. That’s the first step to seeing the field if he’s not an opening day starter. Those extra IOL in game day really need to be able to play all 3 interior spots. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

I really don't want to see Dozier out there again. He's very underwhelming.

O'Neill was solid last year but didn't take a huge leap forward like some hoped. Will it happen this year?

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Has PFF lost any credibility or are we living in a time with a good Vikings o-line

As I've iterated often (and probably so much so that people are irritated at hearing it), it's relative.  It's a good O-Line as compared to the current state of offensive line play in the NFL overall.  However, offensive line play in the current NFL is terrible overall. 

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As I've iterated often (and probably so much so that people are irritated at hearing it), it's relative.  It's a good O-Line as compared to the current state of offensive line play in the NFL overall.  However, offensive line play in the current NFL is terrible overall. 

That's true but it'd sure be nice having 1 of the best lines relative to the rest in the league