The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

17 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

But it should be your right. If you are vaccinated, you shouldn’t be worried what other people are doing. If your vaccinated, you should be safe  no matter what. Right.. Or are you a little worried that it might not be true?

Bottom line, you should never lose your job over a vaccine shot period..

What about health care workers? What happened to private businesses setting their own requirements for employment? Hmm? 

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The number of unvaccinated in this group is surprisingly high.

Is it really all that surprising that those closest to the healthcare system may be a bit more reluctant to take something that isn’t FDA approved. I certainly have empathy for those who don’t want to participate with experimental drugs, backed heavily by the government, but everyone has to do what’s best for their own situation. And who are we to judge each individuals’ comfort levels? Obviously the NFL and any employer has a right to set expectations for its employees. Good employers should have flexibility to address everyone’s situation at the end of the day and it seems the Vikes are still trying to find a spot for Dennison, I respect that. My employer is doing the same. I haven’t been to the office since March 2020 and won’t return until Sept 2021 if I’m vaccinated or Feb 2022 if not vaccinated. My role is going to be predominantly remote regardless, but I wouldn’t return to Minnepolis anyway, unrelated to covid. My employer has no desire to be in Minneapolis either, fortunately the lease is up in a few months and they will be leaving, like so many other companies who want to leave. Obviously the NFL is far more concerned about public image than your average Fortune 500 company. 

I will say there seems to be far less pushback against certain communities who refuse vaccinations in comparison to individuals who feel uneasy with experimental drugs, which I’ve never understood. Remember the measles outbreaks in MN a few years ago? I don’t recall the media and general population jumping all over those groups, the local messaging was forced acceptance. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

To disseminate ourselves from the politics of this: Has anyone talked about how Rick Dennison was a complete liability as a coach? This change instantly puts the development of Wyatt Davis and Christian Darrisaw (as well as the other young O-Linemen) in much better shape. It also likely means that our best O-Line combination will be starting sooner, if not week one.

At this point besides kicking and health, I'm starting to wonder what could derail the Vikings this season.

What do we know about the new guy?  I would have rather have made the change earlier in the off-season when the we had more time and options to replace him

16 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What do we know about the new guy?  I would have rather have made the change earlier in the off-season when the we had more time and options to replace him

Phil Rauscher is not bad, has a lot of experience with Kubiak and Dennison and clearly knows that zone blocking system well and has been in the NFL for a bit.  Sure maybe there are better guys out there but who are they?  Training camp did not start yet and I would not be too worried about it.  This is not a 2018 situation when Tony passed suddenly and the Vikings were not prepared for that, Rauscher was basically the guy in waiting for when Dennison retired or moved up to something else which who knows maybe he wanted to anyway.  

2020 Minnesota Vikings Assistant Offensive Line Coach

2019 Washington Redskins Assistant Offensive Line Coach

2018 Washington Redskins Assistant Offensive Line Coach

2017 Denver Broncos Assistant To Head Coach

2016 Denver Broncos Coaching Assistant

2015 Denver Broncos Coaching Assistant

Outside of Cook's success which is honestly mostly to do with his ability as a back not the great blocking of the OL.  Dennison should have been let go anyway, glad to get a new guy in there honestly.  Sure hurts missing that experience of Dennison who has been in the NFL for 27 years but obviously that experience did not help them last year when things went poorly on the OL.

Cole Popovich was let go by New England recent for the same reason, has been with them since 2016 and was a co-OL coach.  Just seems odd to possibly end your career as a coach because you did not get a vaccine.  One article said "and his on-field presence stood out, as he was one of the only staffers to wear a mask during practice."  Rules are rules.

• Like 1

If Dennison ends up getting fired at a time when he’s ready and willing to work, he’d likely have a strong claim to receive his pay. Although the Vikings could fire Dennison for cause and not pay him, firing him for declining to be vaccinated most likely does not amount to a for-cause firing.

I read this which was interesting, how about the OL sucks is that cause for a firing?  With the NFL policy changes though, not sure how a coach not getting the vaccine is not a for-cause firing.

With no union to protect assistant coaches, it’s far easier for teams to take a hard line with coaches than players. Given the hard line the league is taking with players, it’s no surprise that teams with assistant coaches who haven’t gotten vaccinated are pushing them to do so — perhaps even to the point of leaking to ESPN the incorrect notion that the assistant coach has been fired in order to prove to the assistant coach in question that the team is serious about its position.

This was also very interesting, if possibly they leak the information to almost make Dennison get the vaccine and if not he will be let go.  Usually they are not wrong when they come out with these stories though, will be interesting what ends up happening.  

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Yep. And hospitals are starting to mandate it because they’ve had enough of the BS. 

And as someone married to an RN, a father who’s a doctor, and a mother who spent nearly 20 years in pharmaceuticals, I think people would be shocked at how little many healthcare workers actually understand about health. 

If people actually cared to research and learn how vaccines work, there wouldn’t be any hesitation. 

• Like 2

c'mon guys.... this shouldn't need to be said.

we come to this site to discuss the silly world of football, not to debate the political issues of our society. no one is going to change anyone else's firmly set opinion about Covid and vaccinations.

let it go.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

c'mon guys.... this shouldn't need to be said.

we come to this site to discuss the silly world of football, not to debate the political issues of our society. no one is going to change anyone else's firmly set opinion about Covid and vaccinations.

let it go.

to be fair no one is going to change anyone else's opinion about football either.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, whitehops said:

to be fair no one is going to change anyone else's opinion about football either.

to be fair, this site has had a rule since its inception about not discussing socio political issues, but has always been open for vigorous debate regarding football.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, whitehops said:

I have changed a Fred Warner fan by presenting stats and articles that Eric Kendricks is the better LB in coverage.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 2:13 PM, vike daddy said:

to be fair, this site has had a rule since its inception about not discussing socio political issues, but has always been open for vigorous debate regarding football.

i wasn't arguing that the discussion was off-topic, just making a joke how 0.01% of debates online actually change people's minds.