The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

I hope this offensive line can even get to the caliber of the 2009 offensive line, which certainly wasn't stellar either, despite having a HOF LG.  It was an above-average line, but not elite...and that's all I'm asking for.  I don't need the 1998 offensive line, which may be the best Vikings' O-Line I've ever witnessed.  

O’Neill, Darrisaw, and Cleveland are long term starters. I feel very confident moving forward with those three. I believe the team has a legit RG between Udoh and Davis. Udoh needs to find a coach to help him work on his hand placement, but there is talent there. And Davis I think got the Zimmer treatment because he reportedly wasn’t in the best shape coming into camp after surgery. With a new coach, I’m very hopeful for his future. 

Center is a problem. The dream would be to create enough cap space to land Ryan Jensen, but I’m guessing that it’ll be a camp competition between Bradbury, Cole, and possibly a rookie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

O’Neill, Darrisaw, and Cleveland are long term starters. I feel very confident moving forward with those three. I believe the team has a legit RG between Udoh and Davis. Udoh needs to find a coach to help him work on his hand placement, but there is talent there. And Davis I think got the Zimmer treatment because he reportedly wasn’t in the best shape coming into camp after surgery. With a new coach, I’m very hopeful for his future. 

Center is a problem. The dream would be to create enough cap space to land Ryan Jensen, but I’m guessing that it’ll be a camp competition between Bradbury, Cole, and possibly a rookie. 

With a possible overhaul of coaching staff I would say there is a pretty good chance Cole is not resigned

I would absolutely resign Cole if the price is right. I don't want him starting full time, but if there's an injury on the IOL, he's certainly a capable backup. 

I think Darrisaw looks the part of a consistent fringe Pro-Bowl LT. O'Neill is a Pro-Bowl RT. Cleveland is solid and improving at LG. 

I, for one, would not be upset if the Vikings were able to trade back a few spots, get an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick, and take Linderbaum. I know our Defense needs help, but if we can fill a couple holes in free agency, I think Linderbaum is a top 5 talent in this draft...even if he doesn't play a "premium position." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I would absolutely resign Cole if the price is right. I don't want him starting full time, but if there's an injury on the IOL, he's certainly a capable backup. 

I think Darrisaw looks the part of a consistent fringe Pro-Bowl LT. O'Neill is a Pro-Bowl RT. Cleveland is solid and improving at LG. 

I, for one, would not be upset if the Vikings were able to trade back a few spots, get an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick, and take Linderbaum. I know our Defense needs help, but if we can fill a couple holes in free agency, I think Linderbaum is a top 5 talent in this draft...even if he doesn't play a "premium position." 

The way people are talking about Linderbaum he may be gone before 12; although as you said, not a premium position.

24 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The way people are talking about Linderbaum he may be gone before 12; although as you said, not a premium position.

I said before in the draft thread that Linderbaum is the only offensive player I’d be interested in at 12, and even then it would have to be after a massive run of defensive players in the top 11. But, if the team chooses to extend Cousins, I may have to amend that and put Linderbaum higher on my list, regardless of who’s been taken.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I think we should just sign James Daniels since he can play all of the interior OL spots and let starting C and RG spots sort themselves out between Daniels, Bradbury, Davis, Cole, and Udoh.

Might be the top guard on the market. We would have to move around a lot of money to make that work. 

On 1/20/2022 at 8:29 AM, wcblack34 said:

Top 5 talent?  No freaking way, what about Linderbaum did Garrett Bradbury not have coming out of NC State?  Linderbaum is good and the best center in the draft but he is a some what smaller center, short arms and is super athletic and agile for a center.  But what happens when a big guy gets on him?  Bradbury looked super athletic and elite coming out of NC State, he has been arguably below average in the NFL and honestly terrible against bigger stronger dudes, doubt he is even resigned with the team when his rookie contract is up.

Sure I would not hate if they took Linderbaum at 12 but it would be insane to take him top 5 overall, I say Ekwonu would be a better more versatile selection.  

Creed Humphrey was the 63rd pick and has had an awesome year for the Chiefs but is in a great system with a great OL coach and a great OL unit but also they hit gold with Trey Smith also.  No way Linderbaum is that good in the NFL right off the bat and I was not a huge Creed Humphrey guy last year because he kind of disappointed that last year on OU, but again he went into a perfect situation with great players and system around him and not a lot of pressure either.

Maurkice Pouncey was the 18th pick and the best center I have seen in probably 20 years or so, Linderbaum is not even close to Pouncey because he simply does not have the power or the strength part.  Ryan Kelly 18th pick overall is just as good as Linderbaum was in college, Frank Ragnow 20th pick same thing outside of the injury issues, Ryan Kalil was 59th pick was arguably better in college and Nick Mangold was the 29th pick was more dominant as well in college than Linderbaum.  

But sure anything can happen because center is an issue but guard is a bigger problem.  Darrisaw I doubt will ever be a Pro bowl player but yeah shows promise but might have to be moved to guard, he got beat pretty bad at times this season especially later in the year.   And not sure I would call O'Neill a Pro bowler either because last time I checked he never made a Pro bowl and there is a reason for that.  Cleveland was decent at OG no question and I agree Cole I would not hate keeping around if possible.

• Like 1

I would say the best interior DL Tyler Linderbaum has played this year was Iowa State.  Eyioma Uwazurike could be a 2nd round pick or higher, had a great year and he pushed Linderbaum backward more than once and Eyioma is a big dude.  Same with his backup Isaiah Lee who won on a few plays in the run game.

Linderbaum in his highlights looks great in space blocking getting down field making plays, but how does he handle inside close on the DL.  Maybe I am wrong about the guy but he is shorter, he is lighter and does not have super long arms.  Is a strong kid, can flatten guys and put them on the ground and drive them, great in space blocking but on the line he can get turned, walked backward and moved.

So not sure how elite NFL DL will do against him, I assume well similar to how they do against Bradbury, granted Linderbaum is probably stronger and more powerful than Bradbury which is great.

Will be interesting how he works out and times out, and yeah it is great when a center gets in space and blocks but Bradbury can do that, who really cares if you cannot hold up in the middle when it really matters.

Would be interested in him at 12 if he is great at the Senior bowl and has great combine numbers, if not probably not worth the risk that high and Ekwonu might have more potential and versatility which is a plus.

Edited by Ozzy

• 6 months later...

So reports are coming out on the first padded practice and lo and behold Bradbury is being bulldozed into the dirt again this year. It doesn't matter if Cleveland improves at LG or if somebody steps up at RG - our iOL is going to be a revolving door as long as Bradbury is a starter. Bradbury is the problem and it's time to start grading him based on the player he is (trash) and not the first round draft pick he was.

Kewsi has thrown a lot of shots in the dark at the RG position this off season but it truly has to be time to do something about Center. 

• Like 3