The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Mond is the #2 QB and Jones is a backup OLB, which isn't bad because that's probably not his best position. He looks like a strict 4-3 edge rusher.

IF Mond IS The #2 now,  The Vikings had better acquire a halfway decent backup QB as quickly as possible, because both he and Mannion would be a disaster if either had to fill in for Cousins in a real game.  There isn't time enough for Mond to get up to speed by even the regular season's 6th game.  At this point, he can't even hold onto the ball with confidence, and takes way too long to process plays.  He'd be sacked on half the passing plays he'd try.

• Like 1

I think it says more about Mannion than Mond with it being an "or" situation, because as I understand, they've both been pretty bad.  Mond is dropping snaps and Mannion is underthrowing receivers left and right.  We should be grateful that Cousins is likely the most durable QB in the entire NFL right now.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think it says more about Mannion than Mond with it being an "or" situation, because as I understand, they've both been pretty bad.  Mond is dropping snaps and Mannion is underthrowing receivers left and right.  We should be grateful that Cousins is likely the most durable QB in the entire NFL right now.  

Are there any QB's you would want as a back-up that would be cheap but decent?  Who might be available via trade or as a camp cut?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Are there any QB's you would want as a back-up that would be cheap but decent?  Who might be available via trade or as a camp cut?

Nick Mullens could be cut in Las Vegas. He's had some starting experience and played decently enough.

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wonder if New England would be willing to trade Brian Hoyer?

I can't imagine that.  Mac Jones isn't exactly lighting it up in NE.  And he needs all the help he can get in the room, with the only other QB being a 4th round rookie.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Wonder If the rumors are true In that Ed Ingram took over the 1st string RG position?

I think he's being given every opportunity.  I don't think he's necessarily won it yet, but I think he'll surpass Davis by the time Week 1 rolls around.  

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think he's being given every opportunity.  I don't think he's necessarily won it yet, but I think he'll surpass Davis by the time Week 1 rolls around.  

I hope he does. I just remember so many Dolphin fans last year in agony over Jesse Davis and how bad he was

• Like 1

17 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I would try to trade for Minshew.  I doubt that anyone cut from an NFL roster would be satisfactory to lead The Vikings to a few wins if Cousins were to be out for a string of games.

3 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I hope he does. I just remember so many Dolphin fans last year in agony over Jesse Davis and how bad he was

I hope Ingram wins the competition to start at RG in Game 1, as Davis is somewhat below average at RG.  He was terrible at RT, but halfway decent at RG.  Nevertheless, Ingram looks a LOT better, and has a great upside.  He should continue to get better, and better with more NFL games played.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robb_K said:

I would try to trade for Minshew.  I doubt that anyone cut from an NFL roster would be satisfactory to lead The Vikings to a few wins if Cousins were to be out for a string of games.

There is literally no incentive for the Eagles to trade Minshew for anything less than a Day 2 pick. That's a very steep price for a rental. He's only under contract for one season (which is Philly's best reason to trade him) and is a cheap, quality backup that can lead a team to wins. If Hurts goes down, the Eagles can still win the East with Minshew. No sense in trading him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

There is literally no incentive for the Eagles to trade Minshew for anything less than a Day 2 pick. That's a very steep price for a rental. He's only under contract for one season (which is Philly's best reason to trade him) and is a cheap, quality backup that can lead a team to wins. If Hurts goes down, the Eagles can still win the East with Minshew. No sense in trading him.

I agree that a 2nd Rounder is out of the question, and giving up a 3rd Rounder would hurt badly, - even if Minshew would be adequate enough to be the bridge QB after The Vikings draft their next QB in the 2023 Draft.  They'd have to outbid other bidders for him in Free Agency, to keep him, IF they decide to trade Cousins because they'll have to empty the coffers for Jefferson's new contract, and can get Cousins to agree to a trade.

I guess it might be better to try to get Case Keenum.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:25 AM, swede700 said:

True but didn't Kirk have COVID last year or was he just exposed?   Having him still unvaccinated and getting COVID now, the dude could be affected by it big time, hard time breathing, fatigue etc.  Maybe it will not affect him or maybe it will.

Either way Vikings need to just throw Mond out there half the game if not 3/4 of the game in a few preseason games, see what he has and get it over with.  Quit protecting him, no point in that and honestly I could give a rats *** what Sean Mannion can do.  He is a wasted roster spot in terms of long term potential, unless they are trying to mold him into being the next QB coach or something which basically any QB can become if they put their mind to it so it is not that impressive. 

I would rather have Jake Browning than Sean Mannion, he was 13/24 for 190 yards for the Bengals, sure he is nothing great but doubt Mannion will be that productive Sunday but will see.

• Like 2