The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

37 minutes ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

So why does it seem like we're worse at running the ball if they're blocking better? Are we not as bad as I think we are? It feels like we are a bad running team...

I think it’s the type of running they are doing. We are seeing a lot more runs out of the shotgun, and not as much wide zone runs. And, frankly, I’m not sure that’s the best way to use Cook and Mattison, or it might just take them a bit longer to adjust to it. Also, while they are blocking better as a whole, on a lot of the runs it’s does seem that someone is missing an assignment, somewhere. So, while 4 or 5 guys do their job, that last guy makes a mistake and it’s enough to ruin the play. Individually they are playing well, now they just need to gel as a unit. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s the type of running they are doing. We are seeing a lot more runs out of the shotgun, and not as much wide zone runs. And, frankly, I’m not sure that’s the best way to use Cook and Mattison, or it might just take them a bit longer to adjust to it. Also, while they are blocking better as a whole, on a lot of the runs it’s does seem that someone is missing an assignment, somewhere. So, while 4 or 5 guys do their job, that last guy makes a mistake and it’s enough to ruin the play. Individually they are playing well, now they just need to gel as a unit. 

I forget who had said it on PA's show the other day, but that often when a new offensive scheme is installed, it's the running game that takes the longest to come together.  The passing game comes fairly quickly, but it's the running game that takes awhile, because partially by what you just wrote.  I imagine a lot of that has to do with how the running lanes get created...when you're running out of shotgun, the holes have to be held open for a little longer or will change, and that's not always easy for the RB to diagnose, so he has to become more familiar with where the holes will open up and then the running game will become better.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 6:58 PM, vike daddy said:

SKOR North@SKORNorth

IMPRESSIVE: The Minnesota #Vikings offensive line is the ONLY o-line in the NFL to not be penalized for offensive holding.

That’s absolutely crazy. They’re not beating themselves, which is a massive improvement over last year. I’d like to see Cleveland and Ingram each take another step forward this season. Then I’d like to see us bring in a young Center on day 2 of the draft. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 5:58 PM, vike daddy said:

SKOR North@SKORNorth

IMPRESSIVE: The Minnesota #Vikings offensive line is the ONLY o-line in the NFL to not be penalized for offensive holding.

I think the biggest reason for this is that Cousins is better protected up the middle and is able to plant or step up in the pocket more often. If Cousins is able to be where he's supposed to be the OL doesn't have to adjust - which is where most of their holding calls seem to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Fobos said:

I think the biggest reason for this is that Cousins is better protected up the middle and is able to plant or step up in the pocket more often. If Cousins is able to be where he's supposed to be the OL doesn't have to adjust - which is where most of their holding calls seem to happen.

It also helps that Udoh isn’t playing. 

ricky bobby idk GIF

• Like 2

Christian Darrisaw is different. It sucks that he was injured in the pre draft process because I'd love to see how he would test & his RAS score.

His ability to anchor vs bull rushes, push the edge round the corner vs speed and block in the run game is a rare total package

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, viking said:

Christian Darrisaw is different. It sucks that he was injured in the pre draft process because I'd love to see how he would test & his RAS score.

His ability to anchor vs bull rushes, push the edge round the corner vs speed and block in the run game is a rare total package

If he wasn't injured,  would he be a viking?

• Like 2