Does the NFL really need a draft?

everlong

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

People who whine about the lack of freedom in the NFL because of the draft are the probably the same people who whine about everything else that isn't there right. You don't have to play football if you don't want to. You want to make millions? Comply with the rules as they are.

@Crickett new favorite poster? :D

On 4/16/2018 at 2:58 PM, cddolphin said:

Fair enough but parity still takes a big hit if you remove the draft. Maybe 1st/2nd round prospects stay fairly even distributed across teams but when you get midde-rounds type salaries, plenty of prospects would take a small pay cut on their rookie contract to be coached by Belichick or Carroll.

I agree that it wouldnt be even but i think it would go the other way, rookies likely would take more money up front for a shot to start whereas they might not get that on better teams. With career longevity shortening they might chase the best chance at $

I don't feel a strong way one way or another about the draft's existence, but every argument made in here in favor of the draft has been bad. I do agree with the broader point that players in the NFL have the least control over their careers than any athlete in any team sport across the entire globe. Not to mention the worst contracts proportionally. 

2 hours ago, Malik said:

I don't feel a strong way one way or another about the draft's existence, but every argument made in here in favor of the draft has been bad. I do agree with the broader point that players in the NFL have the least control over their careers than any athlete in any team sport across the entire globe. Not to mention the worst contracts proportionally. 

I've noticed over time that most people seem to default to the status quo as what is "the best" and just stop there. People in general don't like change. I think if the NFL had no draft and someone posted about the idea of creating a draft most of the posters that think the draft is so important in this thread would instead be arguing about how such a system is not necessary. 

I notice it with just about every change proposed. 

Someone brings up expansion and the majority response is "nope, 32 is perfect" even though it was "nope 30 is perfect" and "nope 28 is perfect" in the past

Someone brings up expanding the season to 18 games and the response is "16 is perfect" without any real reasoning on why 16 is perfect, its just the arbitrary number currently in use

Someone brings up adding teams to the playoffs and the response is "12 teams is perfect" even though it hasn't always been 12 teams. 

People dislike change but once a change is made after a few years you rarely hear people arguing that the league should go back to whatever was "perfect" in the past. 

The one exception to this seems to be Thursday Night Football which honestly is a pretty good idea just executed poorly (The NFL should only have TNF games when they can give both teams byes prior the game and it would be great for the players giving them extra rest instead of less rest)

On 4/17/2018 at 12:59 PM, youngosu said:

You can have a league without a draft. They aren't tied together. There are sports leagues all over the world that operate without drafts. 

You might not like the idea that certain markets are at a disadvantage but that doesn't mean you can't have such a scenario (for the record, I don't believe eliminating the draft puts any markets at a disadvantage)

The success of the NFL Draft has played a role in the success of pro football as our number one sport. It dwarfs the NBA, NHL, and MLB drafts in popularity, and I see no upsides in getting rid of it. It's still a win-win for the players, they can major in football in college, and make great money with fame to boot in the NFL. They can either switch teams in free agency, or play out a career in a city which is still a much shorter time than the rest of us. And when you hear retired players talk about their successful NFL career, they almost never rip the location, because the big picture is success. And many of us in the real world, who didn't have college scholarships, and had to work menial jobs and take schoolwork seriously, also had to take jobs after graduation in less than ideal locations. We accepted those job(s), because it led directly to a better position elsewhere. Our freedom of choice is the career path we've chosen.   

38 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

It's still a win-win for the players,   

I don't think you understand the definition of win-win. Sorry but there is no way anyone can claim with a straight face that the draft is a win-win for players coming out of college. That is just nonsense. 

Its win-win for owners because they don't have to compete for college talent and they get them at discount rates due to that lack of competition

Its (borderline) win-win for veteran players who have reached free agency because rookies have limited negotiating rights so those veterans aren't competing for the money with the rookies. 

But any claim that its win-win for college players entering the league is a flat out lie.

I do love the "in the real world" line as if football players don't live in the "real world", that line shows what I think your real opinion is based off of, jealousy that you didn't get free college or a good income as a young adult through athletics. Athletes live in the "real world" too. Its not their fault their skill set is favored over yours in the real world and is therefore worth more. And frankly they should not have that worth artificially limited because people without their talents are jealous. 

And FYI, in the "real world" you live in the free market required you to take jobs in less than desirable locations, in the NFL its not the free market determining the location a player must go first, its actually the opposite of a free market.

People saying that the Browns would have a better chance to compete without a draft because there is a salary cap, do not get how the salary cap works.

The Browns already have to pay a premium to get players to come in Free Agency. Why would also having to pay a premium in the draft give them more of an advantage? It's the exact opposite.

The draft puts teams on an even playing field because it gives teams 4/5 years of control for a player on the cheap with Tag options after that. 

13 hours ago, Malik said:

How do nfl players have less control over their career than baseball players? 

27 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How do nfl players have less control over their career than baseball players? 

MLB players actually have no trade clauses and there isn't any equivalent to a franchise tag are 2 very big ones. Not to mention when trades do happen MLB players have more say in where they do go.

2 hours ago, Malik said:

MLB players actually have no trade clauses and there isn't any equivalent to a franchise tag are 2 very big ones. Not to mention when trades do happen MLB players have more say in where they do go.

Yeah but they get drafted and spend 4-5 years in the minors then after a little while in the majors they have to through arbitration for a few years. A player can be such in the minors on one team would likely be in the majors if he was on a different team. In the NFL if you don't make the 53 man roster all of the other teams have a chance at picking you up

Archived