Draft Discussion 4.0

NudeTayne

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I’m good with Ward mostly if it’s via trade down. Having pick 4 and taking Ward seems decent but not a home run. I could be wrong but don’t see that as a huge swing that high. A trade back to 12 for high value then a slight trade up for Ward would be fine. I can’t say I like Ward that much more than a couple other guys, or even the Minkah possibility, to take him that high. I think if the Giants go Chubb, if they don’t want Barkley that high, they try to move out of the pick.

I agree with every word of this. Ward doesn’t really differentiate himself from a few of the other corners in this draft, so I would be a tad disappointed if he was the pick at 4.

32 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I agree with every word of this. Ward doesn’t really differentiate himself from a few of the other corners in this draft, so I would be a tad disappointed if he was the pick at 4.

It either has to be Chubb, Barkley, or trade down. 

7 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Would you say Ward is better at CB than Chubb is at DE?

Wholeheartedly concur with this statement. Chubb is the safest pick in this draft (As in least likely to flame out), but he's never going to dominate a game. Ward has the ability to make a similar impact to that of Lattimore for the Saints last year. 

15 hours ago, bruceb said:

Antonio Callaway

He will be Dorsey's Tyreek Hill for us.

Yep, this will happen but I'm a little uncertain where he is drafted. He was one of the 30 HQ visits we got for sure. I read that he was pretty impressive with his interview as well. He is my sleeper in this draft and I think he's underrated enough that we get him at a steal. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part though as I said that I'm not really sure where he will go Draft Weekend. 

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

What do Browns fans think about the validity of reports that the Browns will take Allen over Darnold at 1? I know personally a lot of you would hate it, but is there any indication that it might truly happen?

Since Dorsey’s press conference where he cited accuracy and winning as essential in a QB, most believe Allen isn’t anything more than media trying to create intrigue in a process where the #1 pick has pretty much had one guy as the favourite for the whole year.

Nobody has any idea whether or not there's any validity to the Josh Allen rumors. I'm guessing no, but there's absolutely no way to know what's in the heads of the people in Berea, even if they explicitly leak things out. Could be smoke. I'd never let people know what I was thinking or even more so, what my philosophy was. Obviously we have the #1 pick this year so tipping our hand would be less detrimental, but down the line we don't want teams to know what traits we value in guys. Even when no smoke is necessary, I'd throw smoke out there.

Denzel Ward is a superstar cornerback prospect. He can play tight man on anyone and is excellent in zone as well. He's extremely polished for a corner coming out of college, where you see a lot of off zone. He's done that, but most of his career he was playing on an island in tight press man coverage. His size is not an issue for me, as he flies around and hits people. He rarely gets "mossed" by WR's. He's also a perfect prospect to try and match up on Antonio Brown. He's quick, fast, and physical. There is literally nothing I'd change about his game other than adding some height. He's my #3 rated player in this draft class and I don't think #4 is too early for him at all. I was amazed going back and watching tape on the kid. Stuck to WR's like glue and contested everything.

Denzel Ward is my #5 overall prospect. One of the five prospects that I have down as a great shot of being an All-Pro.

He can mirror the receiver so well. Only thing he really needs to sort out is getting his head turned to the ball more often or he might catch some flags in the league.

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nobody has any idea whether or not there's any validity to the Josh Allen rumors. I'm guessing no, but there's absolutely no way to know what's in the heads of the people in Berea, even if they explicitly leak things out. Could be smoke. I'd never let people know what I was thinking or even more so, what my philosophy was. Obviously we have the #1 pick this year so tipping our hand would be less detrimental, but down the line we don't want teams to know what traits we value in guys. Even when no smoke is necessary, I'd throw smoke out there.

Well if they get the QB selection right they won't have to worry about showing their hand at the position for a long time and probably well beyond when their regime ends and if they get it wrong they won't be here long enough to draft another QB so at #1 I don't think being tight lipped matters at all unless they aren't selecting a QB there.

I will admit, however, that Denzel Ward seems like a strange fit for our defense. He's at his best locked up in tight press man coverage. We run almost exclusively off zone. I don't know if this was because our corners were atrocious last year or if it's just a staple of Gregg Williams, but Ward seems like a better fit on a man defense.

That being said, I'm not worried about how players fit into our schemes. This entire coaching staff is more likely to be gone next year than they are to be back, so just draft the best players available regardless of how they fit into the scheme.

Archived