Broncos QB Battle - Siemian it is

AnAngryAmerican

Who Wins the QB Battle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the QB Battle?

• Trevor Siemian
    • Paxton Lynch

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Maybe but let's play devils advocate - we gained a full year of service time by stashing Siemian on the PS.   We can do the same with Sloter no?  @paul-mac would know for sure. 

And once he's on our PS we can recall him to 53-man roster b4 anyone else claims him, right?   If we don't have that right I guess there's more risk but if the only risk is after week 4 preseason waivers that's when everyone else is waiving too the waiver run is going to be huge.   Seems like best chance to gain that year is now   

So are we talking about the risk of putting him through waivers after week 4? 

2015 was different. We had an established QB on the roster in Manning, and the "QB of the future" in Osweiler. So, putting Siemian on PS wasn't a big deal.

Fast forward to today. Siemian is a player that gets way more respect than deserved. He hasn't won jack crap in this league, and was handed the job by default for the second straight year. Also, Lynch doesn't deserve to be #2, let alone start. And, on top of that, Sloter may be better now than both, and he isn't getting a chance. 

41 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

2015 was different. We had an established QB on the roster in Manning, and the "QB of the future" in Osweiler. So, putting Siemian on PS wasn't a big deal.

Fast forward to today. Siemian is a player that gets way more respect than deserved. He hasn't won jack crap in this league, and was handed the job by default for the second straight year. Also, Lynch doesn't deserve to be #2, let alone start. And, on top of that, Sloter may be better now than both, and he isn't getting a chance. 

Totally fair that 2015 was different.  But we are really projecting Sloter based on 2 2H preseason games.  That's a huge leap. PS is where most projects like him should go.  Let's face it there is no way Lynch is headed there.   

Once Elway took Lynch he committed to a 2-year development cycle as a minimum.   I am just as disappointed at the lack of progress.   Believe me I am - read the 2016 Draft thread and my concerns that he might need 2 years were already there.  And the flat learning curve means he may not get there at all.   But once Elway invested he did so with this scenario as possible.   Lynch didn't earn the starter job to start year 2. Not even close. But his development also said this might be the case.   It's one thing to worry about Lynch ability to progress but it's another to say let's give Sloter the next shot.  It's not like we know he's gone. The most likely outcome is we keep him on the PS.   4 teams already are trying to lose so badly for bext year's draft class that they aren't even being serious in getting more QB's (NYJ) or already invested this year in projects (SF/BUF/CLE).   It's no guarantee but the chances we can stash Sloter and our other roster needs seem to make PS a no-brainer. 

Now if Siemian goes down let's see where we are at.   As long as he's the starter though it seems like 2-QB on 53-man roster and Sloter on PS (and Kelly on IR) seems like the best roster combo.   As much as we want to talk future 2017 still is Elway's first priority.   We are far from a complete team (OL run D ST) but I can't fault that approach before Week 1.  

48 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Maybe but let's play devils advocate - we gained a full year of service time by stashing Siemian on the PS.   We can do the same with Sloter no?  @paul-mac would know for sure. 

And once he's on our PS we can recall him to 53-man roster b4 anyone else claims him, right?   If we don't have that right I guess there's more risk but if the only risk is after week 4 preseason waivers that's when everyone else is waiving too the waiver run is going to be huge.   Seems like best chance to gain that year is now. Sloter needs time so this seems like the right call either way both from a service time and roster needs perspective.   

So are we talking about the risk of putting him through waivers after week 4? 

Putting him at risk of being claimed at any time is a mistake. I don't see this front office making the correct call and keeping him if someone came for him. They would let him get snatched up.

Field Yate is an idiot brings up Manziel, Tebow, and Quinn as the only qbs not to start by their second year since 06 like it means anything.

Conveniently leaves off Rodgers the year before, or Rivers, or palmer spinning the narrative to lynch being a bust. This team is very unique not many superbowl winning teams draft a qb in round 1 the year after, or have a 7th round  pick show up. I did see lynch progress last week as stated from the previous page. Siemian deserves this.

But I'm still confident in lynch to develop and am extremely excited to see how he responds the next two weeks.

I think it's interesting that siemian and lynch are getting a whole half this week and sloter no time any reads on why?

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Siemian was carried on the 53 from what I remember. 

Right you are it was Paradis I was thinking of.   Either way though the principle fits - if he clears the PS waivers then we can stash and promote if someone comes calling later right (asking here - anyone? )? Maybe @Counseloris right and we would let him walk but seems like at least initially a strong chance we can go that route.  

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Field Yate is an idiot brings up Manziel, Tebow, and Quinn as the only qbs not to start by their second year since 06 like it means anything.

Conveniently leaves off Rodgers the year before, or Rivers, or palmer spinning the narrative to lynch being a bust. This team is very unique not many superbowl winning teams draft a qb in round 1 the year after, or have a 7th round  pick show up. I did see lynch progress last week as stated from the previous page. Siemian deserves this.

But I'm still confident in lynch to develop and am extremely excited to see how he responds the next two weeks.

I think it's interesting that siemian and lynch are getting a whole half this week and sloter no time any reads on why?

Because this is the dress rehearsal game. Week 4 likely no starters play. 

Because Sloter isn't going to make the team. The only reason he will make the PS if we choose to is because Chad Kelly can be stashed on IR. I doubt we carry more than 2 QB's.

Idk why this forum has such a fascination with 3rd string QBs who never amount to anything, Brandstater, Dysert, Bradlee Van Pelt(probably). 

56 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Because Sloter isn't going to make the team. The only reason he will make the PS if we choose to is because Chad Kelly can be stashed on IR. I doubt we carry more than 2 QB's.

Idk why this forum has such a fascination with 3rd string QBs who never amount to anything, Brandstater, Dysert, Bradlee Van Pelt(probably). 

I usually don't root for lowly drafted/undrafted QBs but Chad Kelly fell due to extenuating circumstances. I've talked him up enough on here, but I do truly believe he's going to be our starter next year, health permitting.

I wonder if Siemien would beat out Osweiller or Kapernick?

Or, would current backups like Hundley or McCarron or Chase Daniels be viewed as upgrades over Siemien?  

Siemien's growth seems to keep outpacing these guys.  We have to remember Siemien was injured most of his college career.  He didn't play his rookie year.  So, it seems like Siemien is just starting to come into his own a bit.  Did he have a rough year last year.  I can't say it was terrible.  He threw 8 more TDs than interceptions.  He threw of rover 3K yards.  He had a winning record.  And, all the while he was voted as a team captain.  Like Lynch, Siemien also needs a bit of time to adjust to the NFL...he just happens to be doing so at a much fast pace than Lynch and the other guys mentioned.  I am excited to see what Siemien can become.  If he is still adequate after the season...okay, like someone mentioned...we then, have a high end backup QB, which is a great position to be in as QBs seem to go down a game or two in the season...so, he will be needed.  But, I am hoping for more greatness from Siemien.  

I think Siemien is certainly better than Chase Daniels and McCarron. Chase is a never-was that is still garnering some starting-quality-QB hype based on an unexplainable phenomenon. And McCarron is basically a Siemien caliber physical talent without the proven track record of starting. I would never surrender a premium pick for a player that cant beat out Andy Dalton. Hell, I think Siemien in that offense could put up similar numbers to Andy.

Hundley is different. He is the combination of Siemien and Lynch that we have all wished would magically transpire. He is basically what we were hoping Paxton would be with a year of seasoning. A huge physical talent with mobility, frame and growing intangibles. I would swap Lynch for Hundley in a NY minute, but I have thought Hundley was a R1/R2 level talent since he was drafted. Him falling to what, R4 or R5, was just beyond comprehension to me.

And Siemien would easily beat out Osweiler, he showed that last season. As for Kapernick, I take Siemian based in his ability to play a pocket game. Colin is too gimmicky for me, and has shown outrageous inconsistencies on the field, both game-to-game and year-to-year.

We ride and die with Trevor this year, and I continue to believe in the kid. I think he can have a Matt Hassellbeck level career. Not great, certainly replaceable but passable and relatively reliable.

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think Siemien is certainly better than Chase Daniels and McCarron. Chase is a never-was that is still garnering some starting-quality-QB hype based on an unexplainable phenomenon. And McCarron is basically a Siemien caliber physical talent without the proven track record of starting. I would never surrender a premium pick for a player that cant beat out Andy Dalton. Hell, I think Siemien in that offense could put up similar numbers to Andy.

Hundley is different. He is the combination of Siemien and Lynch that we have all wished would magically transpire. He is basically what we were hoping Paxton would be with a year of seasoning. A huge physical talent with mobility, frame and growing intangibles. I would swap Lynch for Hundley in a NY minute, but I have thought Hundley was a R1/R2 level talent since he was drafted. Him falling to what, R4 or R5, was just beyond comprehension to me.

And Siemien would easily beat out Osweiler, he showed that last season. As for Kapernick, I take Siemian based in his ability to play a pocket game. Colin is too gimmicky for me, and has shown outrageous inconsistencies on the field, both game-to-game and year-to-year.

We ride and die with Trevor this year, and I continue to believe in the kid. I think he can have a Matt Hassellbeck level career. Not great, certainly replaceable but passable and relatively reliable.

He's white and probably a "good locker room guy" and NFL teams approach to back-up QBs is laughable. Kaepernick is probably on the same level starting wise as Siemian and easily better than Lynch, but obviously we weren't really in a position to bring him in since the hope was Lynch would win the job. The fact that someone doesn't want to bring him in as a back-up is laughable, though. I'd much rather have a "gimmicky" (aka athletic) QB than a guy that can't run and also can't pass like the vast majority of backup QBs in the NFL. And please don't hit me with a money or wants to be a starter stuff because there is zero evidence in any way of that. Also BF10 this isn't targeted at you at all I just felt like ranting. I've talked about how dumb the backup QB decisions are in the NFL so many times

@jsthomp2007 as far as Siemian goes, his stats were okay, but he couldn't get it done in the red zone or on third down. He really only had 2 (?) standout games. I think the running game and trash offensive line really hurt him, so let's see if he can create TD's this year. Because his quick decisions and nice arm are really promising, but if you can't sustain drives and score touchdowns you aren't a good NFL QB. We're gonna see if he is an NFL QB this year since we will hopefully have a passable running game and OL.

Archived