Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Dustin Fox said it best. Baker isn’t big but he is thick. A lot thicker than Johnny. Baker actually has an arse too him. He looks like a grown man, where Johnny looked like a high school kid

But even Johnny didn’t fail because of height or build, he was a giant child off the field.

Baker may be a little wild, but by every account he’s a football junkie who puts in the work in the film room, weight room and practice field.

THAT is the difference between Baker and Johnnie that really matters.

The key to remember is he doesn't have to be an elite QB to be a success. He's just gotta end the revolving door. Kizer had very good protection for the most part and wasted it. Corbett provides quality depth. 3 capable rb's and 3 capable wrs. A defense on the rise.

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Height and play style for sure, but his arm is 2 or three levels above Garcia

That would be a rich man Garcia. 

I would love to see Baker in an offens that Rich Gannon played in with the raiders. Hell if Baker could have 10-12 yr career like the 6yr career Gannon had with the Raiders, especially from 99 to 02, that would be awesome. That would be the ideal way to use baker but just as RPOs to that scheme to add a wrinkle too it

44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But even Johnny didn’t fail because of height or build, he was a giant child off the field.

Baker may be a little wild, but by every account he’s a football junkie who puts in the work in the film room, weight room and practice field.

THAT is the difference between Baker and Johnnie that really matters.

Oh I know but I doubt Manziel could of lasted or would of suffered a major injury. I was just talking about being big enough. Where I think manziels size would of caught up to him. 

The more tape I watch on him the more I Iike him. I already liked him but he does so many things at the LOS that you just don’t see from a college QB. Calling out protections. Reading defenses and changing the play. And he’s one of the best college QBs I’ve seen at going through his progressions. His head is constantly on a swivel. 

2 hours ago, matt27j said:

The key to remember is he doesn't have to be an elite QB to be a success. He's just gotta end the revolving door. Kizer had very good protection for the most part and wasted it. Corbett provides quality depth. 3 capable rb's and 3 capable wrs. A defense on the rise.

#1 overall, I expect an excellent to elite qb at some point.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

And he’s one of the best college QBs I’ve seen at going through his progressions

Yup. This is what stood out to me as I started watching more and more tape throughout the process. He is literally perfect other than the fact that he's short---a deficiency that never hurt him in college playing behind a massive OL.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yup. This is what stood out to me as I started watching more and more tape throughout the process. He is literally perfect other than the fact that he's short---a deficiency that never hurt him in college playing behind a massive OL.

If he’s perfect and his only deficiency is something that wasn’t really a deficiency, that means he’s perfect.

Man I hope so. He’s being propped up pretty good in here.

Never wanted to be more wrong about a prospect than Baker Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

If he’s perfect and his only deficiency is something that wasn’t really a deficiency, that means he’s perfect.

Man I hope so. He’s being propped up pretty good in here.

Never wanted to be more wrong about a prospect than Baker Mayfield.

What don't you like about Baker? The only things I ever hear people complain about with him is:

1. Size, which has thus far, not hindered him whatsoever.

2. Arm strength, which is not even a remote concern. Not only is his arm not weak, but he's got a cannon.

3. Off-field issues, which are extremely overblown. He's a little bit of a prick to his OPPONENTS. Who cares?

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

What don't you like about Baker? The only things I ever hear people complain about with him is:

2. Arm strength, which is not even a remote concern. Not only is his arm not weak, but he's got a cannon.

3. Off-field issues, which are extremely overblown. He's a little bit of a prick to his OPPONENTS. Who cares?

Lack of experience playing against something resembling an nfl pass rush and coverage.

I see a nice player who is comfortable when he’s operating in his system under typical conditions of little pressure and streaking receivers. I see a different player when he gets the pass rush and coverage more akin to the nfl.

My hope is that we will be able to scheme up a system where he gets the ball out quick and is more of an RPO and quick ball distributor than a conventional nfl pocket qb.

Why do people feel such a need to have a comparison to Baker? This guy CLEARLY has facets to his game that don't match Brees and Wilson, yet people try to cram his game into those names. It's bogus. 

Baker Mayfield is Baker Mayfield. Arguing whether he compares to Wilson or Brees is entirely MEANINGLESS. It's not going to make him a boom or a bust. 

The thing that stands out to me about his game is his intelligence and intangibles. He's got a photographic memory like LeBron James. That's such a great trait when it comes to learning from game film and mastering a playbook, etc. 

This dude's vision, combined with technique is impeccable. I saw a video analyzing him, and there was one play used as an example, where he was going through his progressions and he set his feet TWELVE DIFFERENT TIMES to make a throw, all within 2.5 seconds. That's absolutely absurd. The speed at which this kid can process the game is NFL-caliber, there's no doubt about it. 

And the mental game is often the toughest transition. I think Mayfield is easily the most prepared mentally. And that carries over to his physical capabilities...arm angle, tight window throws, anticipation, etc.

This dude is NOT Russell Wilson, nor Drew Brees. He's Baker Mayfield, and unlike those two, there's plenty of reasons why he's a consensus top 5 pick.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

Lack of experience playing against something resembling an nfl pass rush and coverage.

He saw plenty of great pass rushes in college. He's the best out of all of the QB's under pressure and was by far the most accurate at throwing into tight windows. And unlike your golden boy Sam Darnold, he doesn't get strip sacked like it's his job. I have no problems with Sam Darnold, but I find it funny you are worried about Baker under fire, but not Darnold, who was less accurate and fumbled the ball like it was his job when pressure came at him.

I see a nice player who is comfortable when he’s operating in his system under typical conditions of little pressure and streaking receivers. I see a different player when he gets the pass rush and coverage more akin to the nfl.

Again, he was the top QB in the draft under pressure AND with making tight window throws. I heard statistical breakdown on a podcast (Jeremiah maybe) the other day to confirm this, if anyone wants to find that statistical breakdown.

My hope is that we will be able to scheme up a system where he gets the ball out quick and is more of an RPO and quick ball distributor than a conventional nfl pocket qb.

I think this is the goal, but it doesn't need to be. The only thing I question about him scheme-wise is how well he can take a snap from under center. This looked a little wonky for him at the Senior Bowl.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The more tape I watch on him the more I Iike him. I already liked him but he does so many things at the LOS that you just don’t see from a college QB. Calling out protections. Reading defenses and changing the play. And he’s one of the best college QBs I’ve seen at going through his progressions. His head is constantly on a swivel. 

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

4 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Why do people feel such a need to have a comparison to Baker? This guy CLEARLY has facets to his game that don't match Brees and Wilson, yet people try to cram his game into those names. It's bogus. 

Baker Mayfield is Baker Mayfield. Arguing whether he compares to Wilson or Brees is entirely MEANINGLESS. It's not going to make him a boom or a bust. 

The thing that stands out to me about his game is his intelligence and intangibles. He's got a photographic memory like LeBron James. That's such a great trait when it comes to learning from game film and mastering a playbook, etc. 

This dude's vision, combined with technique is impeccable. I saw a video analyzing him, and there was one play used as an example, where he was going through his progressions and he set his feet TWELVE DIFFERENT TIMES to make a throw, all within 2.5 seconds. That's absolutely absurd. The speed at which this kid can process the game is NFL-caliber, there's no doubt about it. 

And the mental game is often the toughest transition. I think Mayfield is easily the most prepared mentally. And that carries over to his physical capabilities...arm angle, tight window throws, anticipation, etc.

This dude is NOT Russell Wilson, nor Drew Brees. He's Baker Mayfield, and unlike those two, there's plenty of reasons why he's a consensus top 5 pick.

You all get golden tickets to the positivity thread.

Archived