Pick #33: Austin Corbett - OL, Nevada

ReggieCamp

1 hour ago, Reginaldm9 said:

If you consider his position versatility then this pick is a lot easier to swallow. If you look at OL depth we're pretty thin. Nice to have a guy that can step in pretty much anywhere. 

Didn't we just trade a guy like that to KC for a 5th rounder?  Ugh.  Pick 33 is WAY too high to purchase a Swiss Army Knife.

21 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

In no way is Corbett a LT... he has to chop block on all pass plays against speed rushers.. because he lacks the foot agility and quickness to get back to the block point on balance...

He's a great Run blocker and a really good RG prospect....

I'm going to guess that actually he's our backup Right Tackle... or starter depending on who wins it out... him or Chris Hubbard.

Not a fan of this pick, I didn't see a project LT, which is the only OL that I thought we should've taken this high.

Would've been ecstatic to have seen DE Landry, RB Guice, OT Williams, OT O'Neill, WR Miller, WR Sutton, CB Oliver, CB Jackson, or even DT Nathan Shepherd here.

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

He's going to compete in camp and my guess is he pushes Bitonio to tackle. could even play center. Tretter was very average last year.

Bit is not playing tackle. Bit is a stud LG but LG is by far the easiest position on the offensive side of the ball, hell might be the easiest position out of all 22 main spots. He would go from the easiest position to one of the top5 hardest position. I dont like that one bit. Browns would be weakening two positions. LT is no where near as good as last year and not LG is no where near as good as last year. I would rather keep Bitonio at LG and get a new starter for LT, instead of moving someone. 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Bit is not playing tackle. Bit is a stud LG but LG is by far the easiest position on the offensive side of the ball, hell might be the easiest position out of all 22 main spots. He would go from the easiest position to one of the top5 hardest position. I dont like that one bit. Browns would be weakening two positions. LT is no where near as good as last year and not LG is no where near as good as last year. I would rather keep Bitonio at LG and get a new starter for LT, instead of moving someone. 

yeah don't shift an all pro level player to make him an average player. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

yeah don't shift an all pro level player to make him an average player. 

Either roll with what they already have for tackles or if they draft a true LT type prospect or they go after vet who potentially get cut, or they make a trade.

If not, wait until next year. I think we could see 4 OTS drafted in the first rd next year. 

It has been my stance all along that the talent in this draft would run out much earlier than normal and interior lineman would be pushed up the board. This pick affirms my opinion IMO and I believe Dorsey and Co saw it the same so they took a guy they knew would be good as opposed to reaching on these other guys are more premium positions.

Everyone's calling this dude a reach when they've watched exactly 0 snaps of his career. I know one person for sure has watched him (@MSURacerDT55), but 99% of us making hardcore judgments haven't seen a single snap.

I'll admit it, my first reaction was to be salty. Seemed like there were better players there, but I am going on what I've been told. I know a lot of the OL draftniks that study later round prospects loved Corbett. Plus he was lights out at the Senior Bowl in practices and in the game, which is the only thing I've ever seen him do. Oh, and he's absolutely a LT. He's not moving inside and the narrative that Joel Bitonio could play LT was disspelled last year when we opted for Spencer Drango there instead of Joel. It's not happening. He's got more than enough athleticism to play the position and he's really only a half an inch (or less) shorter than Joe Thomas.

6 hours ago, JoshBooty said:

So LT?

I believe they will try him there at first and if he cannot handle it, they will move him to RT and if that fails, he will be moved inside, which is likely his strength. He is a road grater with a mean streak.

He is a solid prospect and seems to suit what Dorsey is looking for in football players. Mayfield walked on at 2 schools and through hard work, made himself into a star and Corbett walked on at Nevada and started for 3 years and became their captain. I believe Dorsey thinks highly of this type of prospect. I just hope he does not carry it too far vs talent!!!

Archived