5th Round Pick (174th Overall): Marquez Valdes-Scantling [WR; USF]

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

McGinn goes to the same circle of old scouts every year. Take what they say with a grain of salt. I subscribed to McGinn's draft stuff this year, another scout said "good kid, they liked him there." 

One of the guys a few years back said he was worried about a prospect because he couldn't cook, another scout this year said he was leery about Davenport because he was a renaissance man that likes poetry.

Poetry?! We don't need no bleeding heart softies. Grr toughness!

Not enthused, but what do I know.  strikes me as a standard Packers late-round combine-numbers guy who's still sitting there because he never had the heart/brains/will to get the most out of his combine numbers, and presumably never will?  He's an old guy, 23 already, with the polish of a freshman?  

57 minutes ago, craig said:

Not enthused, but what do I know.  strikes me as a standard Packers late-round combine-numbers guy who's still sitting there because he never had the heart/brains/will to get the most out of his combine numbers, and presumably never will?  He's an old guy, 23 already, with the polish of a freshman?  

Apparently he's had a lot of coaches, switched schools from NC State, might have stunted his growth a bit.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

I seem to be in the minority but I actually like this pick. I’m no scout and I’ve only been able to see videos on YouTube, but he looks much faster and quicker than EQ out on the field. Obviously route running and learning the offense will be key for him (both of them really). Excited to see what the GB staff can do with him. 

Just now, Siv said:

I seem to be in the minority but I actually like this pick. I’m no scout and I’ve only been able to see videos on YouTube, but he looks much faster and quicker than EQ out on the field. Obviously route running and learning the offense will be key for him (both of them really). Excited to see what the GB staff can do with him. 

I agree. EQ's a long strider who I think (if) he could quickening his feet it would enhance his cutting abilities - but I'm not expecting double moves out of a guy his size.
MVS has nice diagonal quick cutting ability (nicknamed him ZigZag) - followed by an off to the races burst. JMO has Davante Mini-Me written all over him at this point - not because he's smaller, but because Davante's got a Veterans ability now. JMO's just getting started. Nothing not to like IMO. Looking forward to seeing how they grow into NFL players.

The thing that really jumps out at you on tape is his get-go off the line, a two-stepper, which is reflected in his 1.55sec 10 yrd split time. So he'll need a ton of work not only on route running, but on beating that press jam off the line he will face regularly. (Obviously) As for raw physical ability, at least in terms of speed, he has the most of the three. Hopefully he works his tail off, sticks as a gunner, and then becomes what we wished Janis would have become: a bona fide #4 WR at least.

Edited by DWhitehurst

On 4/29/2018 at 5:48 PM, Packerraymond said:

McGinn goes to the same circle of old scouts every year. Take what they say with a grain of salt. I subscribed to McGinn's draft stuff this year, another scout said "good kid, they liked him there." 

One of the guys a few years back said he was worried about a prospect because he couldn't cook, another scout this year said he was leery about Davenport because he was a renaissance man that likes poetry.

Wasn't that about Eli Apple, who is incredibly immature and reliant on his mother, and that became an issue?

2 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Wasn't that about Eli Apple, who is incredibly immature and reliant on his mother, and that became an issue?

So say the guy is immature.

Not being able to cook isn't a causation of struggling in the league. 

My point being you'll get one of McGinn's scouts that say "the coaches didn't like him there" and then in the same paragraph another scout says "they pounded the table for him." So many varying opinions, take them all with a grain of salt. At the end of the day we're talking about 20-23 year olds, I'm sure all of them have growing up to do.

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

"Scantling" is a really cool name.  I'm not sure I've encountered it before.  It makes him sound fast.

scant·ling

noun: scantling; plural noun: scantlings
  1. 1.
    a piece of lumber of small cross section.
    • the size to which a piece of wood or stone is measured and cut.
  2. 2.
    a set of standard dimensions for parts of a structure, especially in shipbuilding.

Use it in a sentence:  "Yo, dumbass,  I got got yer scantling right eeer"
Edited by Shanedorf