Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

I constantly forget about Shields, but you're right. Perhaps you could argue that one injury shouldn't have derailed our secondary the way it did, but if Shields hadn't gotten injured everything could have played out so much different.

Yeah, the trick is that true high end man corners are very difficult to find.  A guy who can shadow the other team's best receiver, or who can be trusted to win a significant portion of snaps against elite receivers is a very rare commodity.  On top of that though, the Packers took a lot of risks in terms of how they built their CB group that made the risk attached to Shields much higher.  Most of their CB group in '16 and '17 was badly lacking in size and athleticism.  Randall could run, but he was undersized and had a bad habit of peeking in the backfield.  Rollins had quickness, but was also undersized, and he lacked speed and experience.  Hyde had superb ball skills and great awareness, but couldn't run worth a damn.  Gunter was physical and had a good mindset for a corner, but that was about it for him.  And none of them seemed to be able to pass receivers off in zone.

So you end up in the spot where you can't expect them to win their 1 on 1 battles very often, and they also don't have physical attributes that can cause problems even if the player is below average.  They can't run, so any false steps, a missed jam, whatever and there's no hope of catching up.  They don't have size, so you can't have them just press at the line and hope the rush gets home quick.  And none of them could stay healthy, so they couldn't even get the training in to consistently improve their technique.  It was just a really unfortunate combination of things.

I thought Josh Jackson looked very good playing man-to-man coverage in the first preseason game, but there didn't seem to be much discussion about him afterwards. He did get a holding penalty, but it looked like a bad call on the replay. 

17 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

I thought Josh Jackson looked very good playing man-to-man coverage in the first preseason game, but there didn't seem to be much discussion about him afterwards. He did get a holding penalty, but it looked like a bad call on the replay. 

He's been getting a lot of praise since then. Pettine really talked him up in his last presser. Said he has been learning quickly and progressing with his man skills. Good things to hear.

Good points made about Jackson here. He's picked up where he left off from in college and we'd hope he'd ride that momentum into the season. We got epic value for him for where we picked him. Let's hope he stays healthy...

So i know we’re feeling good about our young corners for the most part but with Kong’s shoulder and recent moves, I know it was a name that was discussed in the offseason but how would y’all feel about bringing in Orlando Scandrick? He still has some legs and honestly, I would prefer him on this roster over Davon House. 

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

Agreed, Jackson looked the part. Very confident, and played bigger and more fluidly than I expected. Need to see him cover downfield, but you could see right away what set him apart at Iowa.

2 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

So i know we’re feeling good about our young corners for the most part but with Kong’s shoulder and recent moves, I know it was a name that was discussed in the offseason but how would y’all feel about bringing in Orlando Scandrick? He still has some legs and honestly, I would prefer him on this roster over Davon House. 

If he still has some legs why the Cowboys and Redskins both recently let him go?

From the best I can tell, he says he felt the Cowboys gave up on him and so he asked for his release (where young guys playing ahead of or something?) then the Redskins supposively released when because the young CBs were looking so good, but they reportedly are trying to sign Dominique Rodgers Cromartie now. Which makes it seem like they had a spot for a vet CB.

Plus only once in the last six seasons has he played 15 games. In fairness he's played over 10 in all of them, but sounds like he gets injured a lot.  

On 8/14/2018 at 2:25 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

If your only beef with overpaying our own players (with the benefit of hindsight) in the past X years (since what, the Hawk deal?) is a 10% overpay on Randall Cobb, we are doing phenomenally well.

The Hawk overpay may not have even be the worst (second) contract handed out to a Packer inside linebacker between 2011-2017.

How soon some forget Brad Jones.

When you've got both a top 10 (Hawk) and a top 15 (Jones) cap hit banished to the bench during the 2014 season (only to reappear as key players in the Seahawks fake field goal TD in the NFC title game), I can see arguments on both sides as to which was the worse contract. 

But either way, neither of those contracts were "phenomenal" for the Packers organization.

10 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The Hawk overpay may not have even be the worst (second) contract handed out to a Packer inside linebacker between 2011-2017.

When you've got both a top 10 (Hawk) and a top 15 (Jones) cap hit banished to the bench during the 2014 season (only to reappear as key players in the Seahawks fake field goal TD in the NFC title game), I can see arguments on both sides as to which was the worse contract. 

But either way, neither of those contracts were "phenomenal" for the Packers organization.

Who could forget the franchise crippling deal of 3/11.75 that Brad Jones received?

Thank God the Packers were able to get out from under it after two years with only 6.4 invested.

28 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/2014/

According to this Brad Jones was 18th in 2013 and 17th in 2014, that's pretty small potatoes to be something to complain about.  Were you thinking of Brandon Chillar?  That was a way worse deal than Jones.

48 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

This is the equivalent of saying the worst purchase you ever made in life was a cheap car you only got 40000 miles out of. Sure you want more, but who the hell cares with the money you spent in the grand scheme of things?

19 minutes ago, HawaiiFan808 said:

Yeah this is pretty awful, no other way to put it.  Jones is the only guy who has a chance to live up to his draft capital right now.

Have you done a similar study of other teams? Do you even know the typical hit rate for guys picked in these rounds?

Archived