Eagles Trade WR Jordan Matthews to Buffalo for CB Ronald Darby

HTTRDynasty

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

@Kiltman @Hockey5djh 
He certainly is no Shady. Rooting for Blount is a strange thing, 75% of the time you are frustrated and want him off the field and then 25% of the time he does something extremely good and you reset your frustration level for that next 75% lol

Haha seems to be a good way to put it, that's the feeling I got from afar...can't wait to have a personal stake in the frustration now

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

All the Bills forum regulars and fans see a completely different Ronald Darby than everyone else. He'll be assigned some high end WR in that division.. Just saying 

Even the best corners in the league will take their lumps in a division with Alshon Jeffery, Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant, and Terrell Pryor (who was good last year and looks like a beast in camp).

I know Darby dropped off. I mean he was like the 7th highest graded corner as a rookie according to PFF and I just checked BleacherReport's NFL1000 project where they grade every snap just like PFF and they had Darby as the 38th best corner. 

So, he did definitely drop off last year, but consider how bad our corners were last year.

Here are the rankings for Eagles corners according to that NFL1000 project:

Ron Brooks - 82nd

Nolan Carroll - 86th

Jalen Mills (rookie) - 109th

Leodis McKelvin - 113th

There were 133 guys that qualified to be ranked.

Jalen Mills who was a rookie last year and was ranked 109th was our #1 CB going into this season!!!

Hopefully Darby can bounce back from a so-so sophomore campaign as he's young (23 years old).

If not then it costed us a 3rd round pick as Matthews was likely gone after this season anyways.

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I dont think we are giving up on him. Im sure we still liked him. But when we added Gaines that made him expandle to find a replacement for Sammy.

Individually both the trades make little sense. But together you can see we added high draft picks by taking slight downgrades for this year.

Plus we know Matthews can play an entire year unlike Watkins

Hopefully the trades works out for both sides.

Bills are loaded with picks for next year. The draft will be an exciting time for you guys.

1 hour ago, roysmyboy31 said:

I don't see a lot of upside with Jordan Matthews and I like Darby as a starter, so I don't really like this trade for the Bills.

Another angle to this trade that is under the radar is Tyrod Taylor's inability to accurately throw down field which hinders Watkins strengths. This is why we went hard at Anquan Boldin and this is why we targeted Jordan Matthews specifically. We have 4 big targets (Matthews, Jones, Boldin and Holmes ) who fit better in our short to intermediate route system.

I really like Darby I think he'll be a fantastic fit with Philly who is very thin at CB with a one legged Jones possibly being the top option they had. They could be a good duo in the future.

I was sorta meh on Matthews I mean he's a nice solid player but it did seem like Philly was looking to move him anyways with the addition of Jeffery and Smith. 

However Agolor seems to be some surprise star of training camp? Can the eagles guys attest to this? It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a former 1st round pick to really get his head right and put it all together but they seem to be banking a lot on a player with one good camp and 2 seasons of looking like one of the worst WRs in the NFL under his belt. 

10 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

However Agolor seems to be some surprise star of training camp? Can the eagles guys attest to this? It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a former 1st round pick to really get his head right and put it all together but they seem to be banking a lot on a player with one good camp and 2 seasons of looking like one of the worst WRs in the NFL under his belt. 

I think the majority of Eagles fans share concerns.  The slot seems like a natural fit for him and we don't necessarily need a lot of production out of him though. Maybe that will remove some pressure and improve his concentration. 

The downside of this trade, other than losing a third, is we are one injury or Alshon suspension away from a terrible wr group again.

Still like this trade a lot though.

FWIW I don't think this locks in Agholor as a breakout star as much as it cements Zach Ertz as their middle of the field target.   Agholor succeeds, great.   But Jordan Matthews and Ertz were best in the same area of the field, this allows PHI to improve CB and still have a guy fill Matthew's role.   I'd expect way more targets for Ertz than originally projected with Jeffery/Matthews starting.  

Archived