The Travel Thread

On 9/11/2018 at 1:30 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Anyone here been to Shanghai? Heading there with my wife at the end of October for a week. Looking for foods or restaurants to hit up.

Was in Shanghai last month. Food was a little tricky to find in our area [Between Peoples Park and the Bund]. Apple/google maps cant find food very well, and Tripadvisor can only really point in the direction of high end stuff [plus its map doesnt place things in the right place]. The GF and I pretty much just used "find a place full of young professionals or lots of spinning tables". Maybe find a way to contact locals?

5 hours ago, Tyty said:

@skywindO2 how much was that trip? I’m actually considering doing that now lol. Also neat to see you went to the place that had a cameo in Indiana Jones 

Don't sell Jordan short, I had equal time in both countries. Jordan has more to offer than Petra but the treasury at Petra is the most recognizable sight. Desert camping and the Dead Sea were both incredible experiences. Jordan was also sneakily expensive since their currency was worth more than the dollar. 

Flights, visas, and the tour company that took care of transportation, hotels, some of my meals, and attraction entrance fees totaled about $4000 dollars. Plus around $500 of other discretionary spending(that's what I budgeted for, I definitely spent a lot less). It definitely wasn't cheap but had to make the cost of flying worth it by visiting both destinations. There are definitely cheaper tour options but ultimately a friend recommended Intrepid to me after having experience with them so I just went with them. GAdventures, OnTheGo, and TravelTalk are other companies I looked into that offered similar itineraries. 

I think it's really cool that you want to go but I'd have some reservations about telling someone to visit Egypt. Even with a group tour, it's probably better for an experienced traveler. It's probably not the ideal first third world country experience. I wouldn't let that stop you, I just worry that the "shock" might turn someone away from going elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

@skywindO2 Can you go inside Petra or the Monastery? I've been to Amman but sadly I never made it to the other locations.

It's roped off so you can't go inside or even on the steps in front. There isn't anything inside anyway from what I could see. Just a small room with minimal decoration, Indiana Jones lied. Amman was great city, had a lot of fun and ate some really good street food there. Not that this would happen to everyone but we found a guy that claimed to be a UN airplane mechanic and joined us for the evening. Ended up covering our 100 JD bar tab and buying us shisha. I'm going to claim that I've drank on the UN's dollar now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost time for my first trip across the pond. Rome, Sicily, Valetta, Naples, Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini. I learned there are such things are Medicanes and there is one that was just active. Getting a little anxious. Just hoping I can sleep on the plane to attempt to minimize jet lag as much as possible.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I need a recommendation for a solo trip. I travel a lot for my job, so I'm looking for somewhere new preferably. My goal is to spend less than $1000. I have a crap ton of Marriott points and probably enough miles for a flight if I don't drive. So my money is all for food, entertainment, and gas/rental car if needed.

I've been wanting to go camping in Yellowstone but I currently have a torn ligament in my foot, so hiking/backpacking or anything with a ton of walking probably isn't in my best interest. I'm looking for up to a week long some time between now and early January.

My first thought was to take a small food trip hitting up Chicago for pizza and maybe Philly for a cheese steak. Another idea was to drive to the Chiefs/Browns game in Cleveland and stopping in Chicago on the way there with stops in Canton and Indianapolis on the way back. Any suggestion?

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2018 at 7:00 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I need a recommendation for a solo trip. I travel a lot for my job, so I'm looking for somewhere new preferably. My goal is to spend less than $1000. I have a crap ton of Marriott points and probably enough miles for a flight if I don't drive. So my money is all for food, entertainment, and gas/rental car if needed.

I've been wanting to go camping in Yellowstone but I currently have a torn ligament in my foot, so hiking/backpacking or anything with a ton of walking probably isn't in my best interest. I'm looking for up to a week long some time between now and early January.

My first thought was to take a small food trip hitting up Chicago for pizza and maybe Philly for a cheese steak. Another idea was to drive to the Chiefs/Browns game in Cleveland and stopping in Chicago on the way there with stops in Canton and Indianapolis on the way back. Any suggestion?

where do you live and what do you want to do

are you married / attached or looking to party?