2018 Draft RB Thread

CalhounLambeau

I do not understand how Guice is being ranked so low on this board — especially behind sub 200 lbs. part-time backs. He shows a rare combination of power, size, and speed you’d be lucky to get once in a draft class. Unlike a lot of backs in this class, he doesn’t run through wide open holes and uses vision and power to make yards for himself. By my estimation, he’s a very similar prospect to Ezekiel Elliott.

There seems to be an infatuation with the quicker, sub-200 lbs. backs like Walton, Wadley, Gaskin, and Love, but time and time again we’ve seen those players be no more than supplemental players for their teams. Size and strength from the running back position are big in the NFL and a player isn’t likely to be a feature back unless he has those traits.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I do not understand how Guice is being ranked so low on this board — especially behind sub 200 lbs. part-time backs. He shows a rare combination of power, size, and speed you’d be lucky to get once in a draft class. Unlike a lot of backs in this class, he doesn’t run through wide open holes and uses vision and power to make yards for himself. By my estimation, he’s a very similar prospect to Ezekiel Elliott.

There seems to be an infatuation with the quicker, sub-200 lbs. backs like Walton, Wadley, Gaskin, and Love, but time and time again we’ve seen those players be no more than supplemental players for their teams. Size and strength from the running back position are big in the NFL and a player isn’t likely to be a feature back unless he has those traits.

As a Browns fan, assuming that the Colts take Barkley at #3, I keep hoping that Guice falls to Pick #33 or that we trade back into the later first round with one of our 3 2nd rounders and get him. That would be huge.

Guice is one of the guys I haven't looked at a lot, but in what I saw he didn't show off anything really "special." I'll be updating the board when I do more looking into each player, and I'm sure he'll rise. Some other guys (Love, Wadley, etc.) are rated a little high but again that's not permanent. I don't think though that sub-200 lb backs are as much of a liability as many people do, though I understand they can be in many systems.

42 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

You haven't watched the right stuff then

Yeah that's what I thought but I was a little pressed for time and wasn't really picking and choosing for anything much. I'll go back in a couple weeks when some more stuff starts to come out (i.e. Mayock, Kiper rankings, etc.), and watch some more on these guys. 

On 1/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, Rich7sena said:

Guice is solidly my #2 back. None of the other RBs belong in the R1-2 discussion outside of Guice and Saquon in my opinion. Chubb is the 3rd guy and I think he’s a 3rd rounder. Guice should go around where Melvin Gordon went: Middle-Late 1st. He has every tool, but had meh vision and I catch him dancing around too often. He isn’t a Beanie Wells type of dancer that rarely uses his power because I have seen him destroy guys running hard, but ive seen him spin and dance his way into a lot of TFLs instead of just burying his head and turning a -3 into a 1 yard gain. It’s what keeps that gap there between he and Barkley, but both are going to be great. 

Bryce Love is weird. He’s small, but runs hard between the tackles and isn’t overly fast. Seems like a goos college back that will have to be a rotational back in the NFL.

Wadley intrigues me. Probably my #5 back. He’s smaller, but plays big and has more juice than Love in my opinion. He has great agility and elusiveness and despite being close to 200, has a rocked up frame and appears capable of handling an NFL workload.

Myles Gaskin is the same as Bryce Love to me. Hard runner that has a small frame. He runs extremely upright though for a amall back. 

Mark Walton is my #4 RB. He’s going to have a great combine. He is probably over 200 now, as his frame is pretty rocked up. He wastes no motion and is one of the fastest guys in this class. His acceleration from handoff to the line of scrimmage is elite. He’s not Chris Johnson, but they play similarly—Walton is just a 4.36-4.40 version where Johnson was a 4.26 version. Walton has great power and balance at his striding top speed, which is what separates him from the other smaller backs in the class.

1-Barkley 97 overall

2-Guice 91 overall

3-Chubb 82 overall

4-Walton 81 overall

5-Wadley 80 overall

^^^^

my current RB rankings (behind this year tho, have a lot of work to do)

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Guice is solidly my #2 back. None of the other RBs belong in the R1-2 discussion outside of Guice and Saquon in my opinion. Chubb is the 3rd guy and I think he’s a 3rd rounder. Guice should go around where Melvin Gordon went: Middle-Late 1st. He has every tool, but had meh vision and I catch him dancing around too often. He isn’t a Beanie Wells type of dancer that rarely uses his power because I have seen him destroy guys running hard, but ive seen him spin and dance his way into a lot of TFLs instead of just burying his head and turning a -3 into a 1 yard gain. It’s what keeps that gap there between he and Barkley, but both are going to be great. 

Bryce Love is weird. He’s small, but runs hard between the tackles and isn’t overly fast. Seems like a goos college back that will have to be a rotational back in the NFL.

Wadley intrigues me. Probably my #5 back. He’s smaller, but plays big and has more juice than Love in my opinion. He has great agility and elusiveness and despite being close to 200, has a rocked up frame and appears capable of handling an NFL workload.

Myles Gaskin is the same as Bryce Love to me. Hard runner that has a small frame. He runs extremely upright though for a amall back. 

Mark Walton is my #4 RB. He’s going to have a great combine. He is probably over 200 now, as his frame is pretty rocked up. He wastes no motion and is one of the fastest guys in this class. His acceleration from handoff to the line of scrimmage is elite. He’s not Chris Johnson, but they play similarly—Walton is just a 4.36-4.40 version where Johnson was a 4.26 version. Walton has great power and balance at his striding top speed, which is what separates him from the other smaller backs in the class.

1-Barkley 97 overall

2-Guice 91 overall

3-Chubb 82 overall

4-Walton 81 overall

5-Wadley 80 overall

^^^^

How isn't Bryce Love overly fast? He has great speed

32 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

How isn't Bryce Love overly fast? He has great speed

Takes a long time to build up his stride. He’s not slow, but he’s not the burner you’d hope for in such a small dude. Compare his acceleration and burst to Mark Walton. Walton hits that top end speed in a hurry. Love builds speed over time. Top end speed is not an issue with him—it’s the burst that he lacks. 

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Takes a long time to build up his stride. He’s not slow, but he’s not the burner you’d hope for in such a small dude. Compare his acceleration and burst to Mark Walton. Walton hits that top end speed in a hurry. Love builds speed over time. Top end speed is not an issue with him—it’s the burst that he lacks. 

Agree to disagree. Love has plenty of burst/top end speed. Plenty of track accolades, posted some great 40 times, and just watching his highlights he has plenty of burst. Sometimes patience gets mixed up with a lack of burst through the line of scrimmage.

16 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Agree to disagree. Love has plenty of burst/top end speed. Plenty of track accolades, posted some great 40 times, and just watching his highlights he has plenty of burst. Sometimes patience gets mixed up with a lack of burst through the line of scrimmage.

Yep the other poster is likely taking his patience as lack of burst. Happens to the untrained eye.

meh....I always thought he lacked big time speed. Then I heard it backed up from 2 other pro scouts. Daniel Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks podcast. They said the same thing. I went back and watched Love looking for homerun speed and didn't find it.

He does, however, have excellent feet and balance. Constantly moving his feet in traffic and has some great jump cuts. I don't see him running a 4.45 or better, which to me, means you're fast.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

1-Barkley 97 overall

2-Guice 91 overall

3-Chubb 82 overall

4-Walton 81 overall

5-Wadley 80 overall

^^^^

Where do you have Penny?

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

meh....I always thought he lacked big time speed. Then I heard it backed up from 2 other pro scouts. Daniel Jeremiah & Bucky Brooks podcast. They said the same thing. I went back and watched Love looking for homerun speed and didn't find it.

He does, however, have excellent feet and balance. Constantly moving his feet in traffic and has some great jump cuts. I don't see him running a 4.45 or better, which to me, means you're fast.

Long speed and burst are different 

Archived