2018 Draft RB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I wouldn't get too attached to K. Johnson, we'll see if he declares. Same with Adams.

My main issue with Johnson is that his body type really invites lower-body injuries. He's very high-cut. I think durability will be a problem for him. But anyone can get hurt, look at Chubb who has a normal build - his injury was just a freak occurrence.

Thoughts on Royce Freeman? I have seen projections of 1st or 2nd round all the way as a 5th or 6th round guy. Depending on who comes out, I personally view him as a solid 2nd/3rd round guy that will be a main contributor on his future team. He's not in the same mold as most of the other Oregon RB's to have come out in the last few years. He's a lot closer to Stewart/Blount than LaMichael James/Barner.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:36 PM, Broncofan said:

All good like I said just spitballing.  But also keep in mind CLE really went hard to get Cousins pre-draft last year (IIRC Mike Silver confirmed they offered 1.12 and 2.1 last year).   So there is more than smoke in this scenario. 

And you really think Cousins want to play for Cleveland, I do not think so???? If Washington does not franchise him, he is a FA, free to sign with anybody and I am pretty sure he would sign with a solid franchise, over the total mess that is Cleveland!!!

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

And you really think Cousins want to play for Cleveland, I do not think so???? If Washington does not franchise him, he is a FA, free to sign with anybody and I am pretty sure he would sign with a solid franchise, over the total mess that is Cleveland!!!

WAS has a very affordable non exclusive transition tag option at 28M to match any offer left instead of the 34M+ franchise tag.   That tag would then allow WAS right to match any offer - no pick.  They aren’t likely to simply let him walk and get a comp 3rd when they can get so much more (not likely the 2 firsts for a team to make a better offer that WAS won’t match with a franchise tag) with a trade return far better than end of 3rd.   This makes a trade scenario where a team can own his rights before the deadline to decide on the tag more likely.   Once the Mar. 1 deadline to decide passes to apply either tag then WAS loses leverage so a post SB pre-March 1st trade is the timeline to see this go down.

A trade scenario WAS lets the highest trade bidder win - where CLE has the advantage over everyone else with 100M cap room to afford a full franchise  tag (to give them time to get a long term deal done) and they also have more than enough draft capital with Hou 1st and 2.1 to outbid the value of 2 1sts from 25+ other teams (this would gave to be an agreed to trade not outbidding by contract offer alone).  Whether or not they prefer this to picking Rosen/ Darnold at 1.1 different issue but the trade option leaves CLE as very possible.   

WAS either retains a right to match offers for 1 final year guaranteed at that 28M transition tag  or gets a better trade return but Cousins going to UFA unrestricted is the least likely outcome by a mile.  Cousins doesn’t control his 2018 destination yet.

Anyways to tie this back to RB - I’d expect CLE spends 2.1 or 2.6 HOU (or wherever it ends up) to upgrade Crowell.   Blame MWill for the hijack   :D  

Thoughts on Royce Freeman? I have seen projections of 1st or 2nd round all the way as a 5th or 6th round guy. Depending on who comes out, I personally view him as a solid 2nd/3rd round guy that will be a main contributor on his future team. He's not in the same mold as most of the other Oregon RB's to have come out in the last few years. He's a lot closer to Stewart/Blount than LaMichael James/Barner.

I think he best compares to Carlos Hyde. Similar size and playing style. Freeman is better catching the ball though, and I expect him to eclipse Hyde's 4.66 40, probably something like 4.55-4.60 IMO.

I love him for Denver w/ our (likely) R3 comp pick. He wont ever be electric, but he can be a 3 down back from the get-go and wear a defense down. Love how well rounded his game is. If your not getting Barkley or Guice, then I wait and take Freeman. He has a lot of wear on them tires, but if he is going late R3, it doesn't matter as much. If you need a feature back and are willing to sacrifice homerun potential for draft value, then Royce is your man IMO.

L.J. Scott from MSU is an intriguing prospect if he declares. He started off slow but picked up some momentum as the season went. His OL was underwhelming at points and his run defenses that he faced was brutal.

I like him as a mid-round back with potential to be better than many realize.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

L.J. Scott from MSU is an intriguing prospect if he declares. He started off slow but picked up some momentum as the season went. His OL was underwhelming at points and his run defenses that he faced was brutal.

He is as talented a runner there is in this draft but he puts the ball on the ground way too much. Conversely, he could easily be a pretty good starter, even star in the league If he learns to be trustworthy with the ball in his hands.

4 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

Rashaad Penny - Kareem Hunt

Now roast me.

In terms of play style or in terms of being underrated? Because I don't think they're similar players at all. Hunt is just a bad dude that grinds for every yard. Penny has tighter hips but much better long speed. I am having a hard time coming up with a good comparison for Penny...maybe a less physical Darren McFadden? I need to watch more of Penny but I did catch his bowl game last week. I was impressed, but beating up on a military football team isn't the tape I want to base my evaluation on. I need to watch more, but my first impression was that he is a stud ht/wt/spd guy who is still figuring out how to churn and grind for those hidden yards.

On 12/13/2017 at 9:27 AM, MWil23 said:

Meh...not impressed. He struggles to plant his foot in the ground and just go. He's a big RB, but doesn't run violently nearly as much as he should. Very stiff. He is skilled for a RB and can catch passes and pass block to complement his RB skills, but I never got the sense he was going to be an NFL back. Too stiff and doesn't make up for it with F-You power.

Archived